Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 19, 2014, 10:51:40 AM
Home Help Login Register      
News: LiveATC.net Flyers Released!  Please click here to download & print a copy and be sure to post at an airport near you!

+  LiveATC Discussion Forums
|-+  Air Traffic Monitoring
| |-+  Aviation Audio Clips (Moderators: dave, RonR)
| | |-+  "Alaska 630: You might get shot down"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Alaska 630: You might get shot down"  (Read 20695 times)
zacek

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, 01:29:30 AM »

It's not the MOA that's the problem.  It's the restricted area.  The difference is that restricted areas may contain unseen hazards to aircraft, such as artillery fire.  The controllers may not vector an aircraft into a restricted area.  Under 91.3, one be protected from administrative action due to violation of an FAR in an emergency, but 91.3 doesn't protect against pieces of metal crashing though the aircraft.  (Also, you really have to have an emergency -- not just declare one).  Anyone can fly through a "hot" MOA, you just run the risk of having to see and avoid something moving really really fast.  Smiley
sykocus

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2009, 02:03:09 AM »

\Anyone can fly through a "hot" MOA, you just run the risk of having to see and avoid something moving really really fast.  Smiley

not quite correct. only vfr aircraft can fly though an active moa. controllers have a separation requirement for IFR aircraft from an active moa. just because an aircraft declares an emergency doesn't eliminate a controller's separation requirement, be it from airspace or other aircraft. sometimes it's possible to directly or indirectly contact the aircraft or agency using the SUA (special use airspace) and coordinate for an emergency aircraft or special case, but other times that's just not possible. in the end the pilot is ultimate responsible for the operation of the aircraft. if he wants to take his chances with a solid object (bullets or other aircraft) over wx, he better be prepared to do it without ATC's blessing.

Yesterday I couldn't spell air traffic controller. Today I R one.
rekno13

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2009, 09:20:06 AM »

So was the reason he could not turn left, away from the storm, that another plane was in that direction? I think I missed that bit.
joeyb747

Nothing Like A 747!

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2009, 10:30:35 AM »

So was the reason he could not turn left, away from the storm, that another plane was in that direction? I think I missed that bit.

At the 1:47 mark the controller says "That restricted area has bullets flying in the air, you can not go in that area..."

No mention of any other aircraft, probably a live ammunition range. So he had a thunderstorm on his right and a live ammunition range on his left...rock and a hard place...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 08:50:16 PM by joeyb747 » Logged

Aircraft Mechanic
kaktak1

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2009, 01:45:17 PM »

That specific area is a firing range for the national guard so there may have been bullets flying in the air.  The Outlaw MOA I think goes up to 8,000 or 3000 AGL feet I want to say.  Just some more info on the area.

If black boxes survive air crashes — why don't they make the whole plane out of that stuff?
rekno13

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2009, 02:59:50 PM »

Well, looking at the map provided by applerider, see where he turns right just at the edge of the MOA airspace? At around Florance Junction. It looks like if he turned left or right he'd miss the restricted airspace. Or am I reading that map wrong and if he turned left he'd go into the restricted airspace also?
joeyb747

Nothing Like A 747!

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2009, 08:49:54 PM »

Well the way I read the chart, is the area outlined in purple is the OUTLAW MOA. It's not on the chart attached in this thread, but I have a Phoenix Sectional, and it says "OUTLAW MOA   EXTENSIVE MILITARY TRAINING ACTIVITY   CONTACT ALBUQUERQUE CENTER ON 125.4 FOR ACTIVITY STATUS".

The area that is restricted is the area in outlined in blue at the southwest corner of the OUTLAW MOA.
R-2310A, B, and C. I'm thinking it's this area that approach was trying to keep Alaska 630 out of.  

But yes, rekno13, if he had turned left insted of right (North insted of South), he would have missed the restricted area. He could have turned left, headed north of Appache Junction, turned left again to 260 degrees and rolled out on runway heading and had a nice, long, straight-in approach. He was asking for the left turn after being turned to 160.  If he turned left and headed north, then he would have wound up in the restricted area. He kept asking for left turns when he could only go right, but he had weather to his right.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 08:51:42 PM by joeyb747 » Logged

Aircraft Mechanic
rekno13

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2009, 09:59:32 PM »

I see. I think I understand what you mean by the restricted zone. They were trying to keep him well clear of the area, because if he turned left he might get too close as well. Right was the safest play in the controller's view.
blahblah121212

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 04:24:11 PM »

Sorry to revive this thread, but the local paper published an interesting story today on the restricted airspace in question. Apparently some GA pilots have been encroaching recently.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/pinal/articles/2010/06/15/20100615pilots-fly-into-restricted-air-space.html
joeyb747

Nothing Like A 747!

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 06:58:53 PM »

Good article! Thanks for posting that!

Aircraft Mechanic
aviator_06

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2010, 10:43:54 PM »

Great Clip!

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length