Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2014, 09:35:11 PM
Home Help Login Register      
News: NEW Follow LiveATC updates on Twitter and Facebook

+  LiveATC Discussion Forums
|-+  Air Traffic Monitoring
| |-+  Aviation Audio Clips (Moderators: dave, RonR)
| | |-+  757 heavy question from the controller. KLAX 12-21-09
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 757 heavy question from the controller. KLAX 12-21-09  (Read 12840 times)
CYUL

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 04:10:20 PM »

Hi

We had AAL055 into YUL  this week inbound from Manchester to ORD for a fuel stop,. They did not use the"heavy" indicator, this was a B752.

Paul

Montreal, PQ Canada
Pushin_Tin

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 11:15:46 PM »

I thought I'd chime in since I'm the controller in the audio clip. At LAX, we send out a large majority of our clearances via PDC. It's a computer system that allows us to send flight plans directly to an aircraft's ACARS, where the pilots recieve it on a printout, instead of having to read every clearance verbally. At LAX, this saves us a HUGE hassle of reading almost a thousand flight plans a day. Anyways, we got word a couple months ago that some AAL B757-200 series aircraft were outfitted with extra fuel capacity, cause them to fall under the "Heavy" weight-class. So, we no longer send any AAL B757-200 flight plans via PDC because we have to ask each one if they are a Heavy or not. If they are a Heavy, then we go into the system and change the info on their flight plan. If not, then we place a check mark next to their identifier on the flight strip, indicating that it's been verified they're not a Heavy. So when AAL192 approached the runway for departure, I saw that there was no checkmark next to his identifier and that's why I verified if he was a Heavy or not. Hopefully this answers any questions you guys had. -SM
kea001
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 02:03:15 PM »

I thought I'd chime in....

LOL! Thank g**. I thought the knives were out for this one.
speedotann

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 08:38:11 PM »

I thought I'd chime in since I'm the controller in the audio clip. At LAX, we send out a large majority of our clearances via PDC. It's a computer system that allows us to send flight plans directly to an aircraft's ACARS, where the pilots recieve it on a printout, instead of having to read every clearance verbally. At LAX, this saves us a HUGE hassle of reading almost a thousand flight plans a day. Anyways, we got word a couple months ago that some AAL B757-200 series aircraft were outfitted with extra fuel capacity, cause them to fall under the "Heavy" weight-class. So, we no longer send any AAL B757-200 flight plans via PDC because we have to ask each one if they are a Heavy or not. If they are a Heavy, then we go into the system and change the info on their flight plan. If not, then we place a check mark next to their identifier on the flight strip, indicating that it's been verified they're not a Heavy. So when AAL192 approached the runway for departure, I saw that there was no checkmark next to his identifier and that's why I verified if he was a Heavy or not. Hopefully this answers any questions you guys had. -SM

Thanks For this. I got hammered for asking this question. Every one had a different or modified answer.... Now we know why everyone.... It was the tanks!!!!!!!!

Cessna 152

ATC- N272** expedite departure Please.

ME- I am peddling as fast as I can!!
Pushin_Tin

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 10:00:10 PM »

No prob! I think it's really cool that you enjoy listening to ATC at LAX. I really wish they had another feed for the Ground Control 1 (South Ground) frequency. That's the position that can really get wild sometimes. We were listening to a couple of other clips today and saw the "LAX Rabbit Chase". I was like, "I wonder what that's all about." Come to find out, it was another clip of me telling the City Ops vehicle to proceed on runway 25R for the runway inspection... or the uhhh, rabbit chase. haha.  Anyways, keep up the good work!
TC
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2010, 08:06:32 AM »

PushinTin:  curious, where did the (I assume) local procedure not to send the AAL clearances via pdc come from?  Did the BU push for it to protect themselves, or management implement it.  I've continued to operate under the previous guidance that I assume every 75 is a heavy unless I *know* otherwise.  I'm completely baffled how/why the agency continues to allow this to be an issue, rather than hammer the users and get them to file correctly or face penalties, or classify all 75's as heavies in the interests of safety.  why do we controllers have to come up with workarounds?  just curious.

tell creighton (not sure what initials he's using) TC @ BOS said hello...
Pushin_Tin

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2010, 08:47:05 AM »

Hey there TC! Basically, it was another one of those issues that management threw onto the controllers. They claimed that AAL dispatch could not enter the heavy designator into the B752 flight plans. So instead of fixing the system, guess who has to do all the extra legwork? There was something initially that said if the preceeding a/c was a B752, then treat it as a Heavy for wake turbulance application, or if the succeeding a/c was a B752, treat it as a non-heavy for wake turbulance application. Wouldn't it be easier for them to either all be designated Heavys or not? haha 
Ps: "Tall Paul" transferred to Denver Tower last July.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length