airtraffic

Author Topic: A Day in the Life of HAL47 - PDC issues and a shattered windshield - Return back  (Read 18098 times)

Offline Squawk 7700

• Squawk 7700 on Flickr
Hawaiian Airlines flight 47 Departs Oakland en route to Honolulu Hawaii today. Copilot's outer pane windshield shattered. Flight returns back to San Francisco. Audio clip runs approx 14 min and includes Pre-Departure Clearance issues at Oakland, comms with Oakland Ground, Tower, NORCAL departure, Oakland Center ZOA where the emergency was declared for arrival back to SFO, followed with holding instructions over PIRATE intersection to burn off fuel, NORCAL approach, San Francisco Tower and finally Ground.

I used Audacity to compile and edit the clip for time and included a narrative picture with Flight track.

Ken (N6GOH)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 10:15:29 PM by Squawk 7700 »

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
Very nice clip! Well done! Thanks for taking the time to put that together Squawk 7700!

Offline speedotann

Nice Job, I know how much time it can take to combine all of theses files. thanks for the post.
How did you get this file so small for the length?

B

Offline ect76

• EGPH
The file size is so small because of the bitrate it is encoded at - 16kbps. If he had used 128kbps this would be around 15mb.

All the feeds and archive clips here on LiveATC are already at 16kbps, so there really is absolutely no benefit in encoding at a higher bitrate - It just adds in excess space that has no purpose!

Offline Squawk 7700

• Squawk 7700 on Flickr
Thanks guys! I hate to admit it but assembling a 14 minute clip took me about 4 hours with breaks in between. What a way to spend a Sunday morning?  :-)

I used several archived clips in the beginning as well as a hard wire directly to my recording software on the later clips starting with Oakland Center ZOA.

ect76 is correct - the final MP3 was exported from Audacity at a 16 kbps bitrate for the reasons mentioned.

Ken (N6GOH)  :-)

Offline Fuschimuschi

Your work is very much appreciated. Thanks! :)

Interesting clip.

Offline philip

Nice and easy to listen to :)

Offline gatorbuc99

Why didn't they just dump the fuel?

Cap747

Why didn't they just dump the fuel?

The funny thing about the B767 fuel dump system, you can only dump from the center wing tank... So that still takes an impressive amount of time.

Check this out...  http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircraft_Boeing_767-300-Airline_Continental_Airlines_Aviation_Video-7178.html