Author Topic: A question  (Read 32941 times)

Offline Mazrim Taim

A question
« on: October 20, 2006, 01:55:45 PM »
Does anyone have any idea of when would be the best time to hear Boston John?  I am in the central time zone so there would be a hour diffrence between me and Boston. If no one knows then does anyone have any new stuff from him?

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: A question
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 03:00:35 PM »
Like most air traffic controllers, I would guess that John works different shifts, depending on a number of factors.  Just keep trying!  (Sometimes people post on the forums when he's on).

-dave

Offline Mazrim Taim

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 02:32:59 AM »
How do we know his name is John? Or is that a name that someone came up with?

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 09:14:57 AM »
How do we know his name is John? Or is that a name that someone came up with?

Because we just do.  :-)  A friend of mine knows him.

Dave

Offline Lincolnshireblue

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 12:29:37 PM »
If you listen regularly you'll hear several of the pilots calling him John (especially Cape Air)

Jackie

Offline RayZor

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 11:27:03 AM »
There was also an article about him posted somewhere on these forums, but can't remember where.  There was even a picture, as well as his name. 

Offline twinker

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 08:23:37 PM »
I've only been listening for a week, but I always seem to hear him in the late afternoons, starting maybe 2-3 PM Pacific time and well into my early evening.

Offline Himerzi

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 02:50:58 PM »
There was also an article about him posted somewhere on these forums, but can't remember where.  There was even a picture, as well as his name. 
Hi, ive also been listening to boston john for a while, but I cant find this "article" on him, it sounds interesting, could someone point me to it?

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 05:05:06 PM »
Hi, ive also been listening to boston john for a while, but I cant find this "article" on him, it sounds interesting, could someone point me to it?

Sure, just type his name into google and it is the second result: http://www.learner.org/channel/workshops/nextmove/metaphor/airtraf.html

Offline Greg01

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 06:06:04 PM »
He looks so young!

Greg

Offline Lincolnshireblue

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 06:09:30 PM »
Funny how you imagine a face to go with the voice.  I thought he was much older (or the picture is old!)

Jackie

Offline frantzy

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 03:32:22 AM »
The mental image I had was something like this:

(of course without the...um...FAA Medical challenges Cheech might face)

Offline frantzy

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006, 03:34:57 AM »

Sure, just type his name into google and it is the second result: http://www.learner.org/channel/workshops/nextmove/metaphor/airtraf.html

I'm as big a fan of Boston John as anyone, but I'm half expecting him to get a restraining order one of these days and say we're stalking him  :-D

Offline Miyridian

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2006, 10:53:51 AM »

Is it just me or does that not sound like him at all? Perhaps there is more than one John on the tower staff?

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006, 04:13:53 PM »
Is it just me or does that not sound like him at all? Perhaps there is more than one John on the tower staff?

With all due respect, it may be you.  I recognize the voice and his name (first and last) both match up.  Maybe he sounds different outside of the tower?  I know quite a few guys that have a slightly different voice on the frequency.

Jason

Offline Miyridian

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2006, 11:45:37 AM »
Could be. After listening to it again, I can hear a hint of similarity at times, but it still doesn't sound right. But I'll trust you on it.

Offline Greg01

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2006, 09:29:05 PM »
As a pilot, both myself and my CFI have different voices on the air than we do in normal conversation. It's more like a deeper and lazier rendition of our normal voices! The controllers i work with (Intern at BUF) say i sound like a bored 40 year old man (I'm 16!).  :wink:

Greg

Offline inigo88

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 05:14:50 AM »
In contrast to some of the previous posters, John actually looks exactly like how I pictured him. (Although the Cheech Marin pic was pretty good.  :lol: ) I also concur that his voice was easily recognizable, he just drops his accent more on the radio.

Pilots and controllers alike use their radio communications as an opportunity to take on a cool and collected persona that isn't necessarily theirs 100% of the time. Pilots especially get a lot of practice hearing ourselves through the headset.  8-)  Case in point though is the Comair pilot who stays in character as Sean Connery 100% of the time (F@&#/!* AWESOME!!!), or the fact that not every Southwest Airlines pilot is a crazy drawwwlin' Texan! If you read The Right Stuff, I believe the author points out that Chuck Yeager was a huge influence on this style of speaking because that's how he talked, and pretty much every pilot that idolized him copied it. When they started flying for the airlines the next generation of young pilots idolized them, and it became the trademark airline captain's PA and ATC voice that you hear today. You can take or leave this explanation, but I always found it pretty interesting and as a young pilot myself I am no exception.  :-P

Back to John though... John emulates no one. John is John, and that's what makes him so entertaining to listen to. I'm glad Dave's friend knows him, because that means he probably knows he has a following on here, and understands that his enthusiasm for his job really has a positive impact on everyone who hears him (whether they're flying in his airspace or browsing this forum to see what hilarious thing he is going to say next ;) ).

-Inigo
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 05:44:51 AM by inigo88 »