Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 07:38:56 AM
Home Help Login Register      
News: NEW Follow LiveATC updates on Twitter and Facebook

+  LiveATC Discussion Forums
|-+  Air Traffic Monitoring
| |-+  Aviation Audio Clips (Moderators: dave, RonR)
| | |-+  AA 2493 lands at LAX with no clearance.......
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AA 2493 lands at LAX with no clearance.......  (Read 14396 times)
bluecrewfan08

« on: July 14, 2009, 11:21:07 PM »

A little something I located after a tip from a buddy on A.Net.

On Saturday, July 11th, American 2493, a 737-800 (DFW-LAX) landed on runway 25-Left at LAX without landing clearance. "

Looks like this flight is usually DFW to LAX daily with a local landing time of  about 11:45.

Didn't really even seem t bother the pilot. ATC was , well lets say " restrained".

« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 10:06:49 AM by dave » Logged
bluecrewfan08

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 11:23:54 PM »

Sorry for the double upload. First time doing this.

Rob
KLAX Feeder
ogogog

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 08:31:42 AM »

AAL, why dose that  not suprise me.
mikenftsmith

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 12:05:40 PM »

AAL, why dose that  not suprise me.

Why the negative attitude toward American?
ogogog

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 04:12:56 PM »

if you ever had to control them you would know.
Silly Sod

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »

Who/How same letters.... No handoff...no pickup.. who do you blame and how?!
evilcuban

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 07:48:50 PM »

"Yeah I think they forgot to switch us over and we didn't catch it."  ugh....
KASWspotter

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 07:28:54 PM »

Ok heres a question for pilots and controllers alike. Youre on final to an airport such as LAX and suddenly realize youre not talking tower like these fellas. Pilots, do you go around and try to establish contact or do you continue the approach like these guys and sort it out on the ground? Controllers at an airport like this what would you prefer these guys do?
Beantown

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 11:58:24 PM »

I'm not trying to place blame on anybody but you would think at some point the pilot would be curious on why he hasn't been switched over to the tower freq yet.
atcman23

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 08:40:02 AM »

Ok heres a question for pilots and controllers alike. Youre on final to an airport such as LAX and suddenly realize youre not talking tower like these fellas. Pilots, do you go around and try to establish contact or do you continue the approach like these guys and sort it out on the ground? Controllers at an airport like this what would you prefer these guys do?

I'm not exactly sure of the procedure, but on an ILS approach, I think you would declare a missed approach.  The situation is uniquely odd and if the pilot doesn't hear the approach controller advising to switch to tower or for some reason they forget to tell an aircraft, the pilot or co-pilot needs to speak up because they're pretty much just as liable.

Mark Spencer
marick626

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 10:43:50 PM »

You cannot land without clearance unless you have some sort of emergency, then you can deviate from any regulation in order to save lives. If you do not hear "cleared to land" and your aircraft reg, your wheels cannot touch the runway. That is known as a pilot deviation and it is taken very seriously by the FAA. You could loose your license. At least, that is what I think.  rolleyes
Delta Echo

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 08:22:37 PM »

Well at FLL we have a direct line to the ear of the approach controller. If I am not talking to the plane on about a 2 mile final(taking speed into account) then I am getting in the approach controller ear. Also I am getting up and moving to the Light Gun. I will give him a green light. I will also tell the approach controller: "Clear AAL1498 to land and switch him!"

Delta Echo

Also, Although I am not suggesting a pilot land with out a clearance, it is very likely he was given a green light from the tower. He did have a valid landing clearance but the pilot probably never hear it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 08:26:05 PM by Delta Echo » Logged
domin752

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 09:37:52 AM »

I'm guilty of this very thing happening to me me in PIT. It was one of those times the radios were too quiet for comfort. the capt. was flying and I was on the radios, we never got a hand-off but I never asked either. I definitely took the blame for that one. Once on the ground, with that horrible gut wrenching feeling, I switched to ground and they didn't say anything. When we arrived at the gate we called up to the cab and they said that we were cleared to land, no prob. THANKFULLY, PIT ATC seems to be one of the most laid back, "cool guy" personnel out there. THANKFULLY, PIT doesn't have a lot of air traffic nowadays. thank you to that controller, by the way.

JD
w0x0f

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 10:48:22 AM »

I'm guilty of this very thing happening to me me in PIT. It was one of those times the radios were too quiet for comfort. the capt. was flying and I was on the radios, we never got a hand-off but I never asked either. I definitely took the blame for that one. Once on the ground, with that horrible gut wrenching feeling, I switched to ground and they didn't say anything. When we arrived at the gate we called up to the cab and they said that we were cleared to land, no prob. THANKFULLY, PIT ATC seems to be one of the most laid back, "cool guy" personnel out there. THANKFULLY, PIT doesn't have a lot of air traffic nowadays. thank you to that controller, by the way.

The attitude goes back to when PIT was exceptionally busy (thanks for bringing that up, it still hurts.) 

No dent, no deal. 

w0x0f 
domin752

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 11:44:55 AM »

sorry, I didn't mean it as "thankfully there is less traffic in PIT nowadays". I meant it as "thankfully we didn't get violated". I'm very sad to see PIT in its current condition, I wish the best to all the employees on the field, or involved with PIT operations.

JD
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length