Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 28, 2014, 02:30:13 PM
Home Help Login Register      
News: NEW Follow LiveATC updates on Twitter and Facebook

+  LiveATC Discussion Forums
|-+  Air Traffic Monitoring
| |-+  Aviation Audio Clips (Moderators: dave, RonR)
| | |-+  AA 2493 lands at LAX with no clearance.......
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AA 2493 lands at LAX with no clearance.......  (Read 14110 times)
w0x0f

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 03:47:38 PM »

sorry, I didn't mean it as "thankfully there is less traffic in PIT nowadays". I meant it as "thankfully we didn't get violated". I'm very sad to see PIT in its current condition, I wish the best to all the employees on the field, or involved with PIT operations.

No apology necessary.  PIT has always had a very good customer service approach for the most part, despite what the FAA has done to its controllers over the past 3 years.  That's the way it was taught years ago and many of the same personnel remain.  That's why we won't bust someone over something  like a missed landing clearance.  Unfortunately, I believe advertising these types of incidents on here with recordings may cause these situations to be more closely scrutinized by the enforcement end of the FAA. Thanks for the nice words.

w0x0f
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 03:54:01 PM by w0x0f » Logged
Greg01

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 07:36:07 PM »

Ok, I haven't seen this one mentioned: just switch over to tower if you're getting too close and can't get a word in edgewise.

Greg
aggiesrul8

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 12:15:54 AM »

Funny, I haven't been on this site in quite a while and decided to listen to LAX tower tonight.  Same type of deal happened, guy rolling down the runway after landing said he didn't ever get clearance to land, just that he was second.  The controller told him you were cleared to land when you said you had visual on the traffic.  The pilot said I thought you had to give us clearance to land.  The controller simply said,"You were cleared, contact ground point 75, Done"

I got a kick out of this..
domin752

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2009, 09:18:08 AM »

Ok, I haven't seen this one mentioned: just switch over to tower if you're getting too close and can't get a word in edgewise.

Greg

DEFINITELY Go-around.

JD
Greg01

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »

Domin,

I'm not suggesting to land without a landing clearance. What I'm saying is if you get close or past the point where usually you get switched to tower and the approach control freq is jammed with talking, simply switch and call tower. I think it's unnecessary to initiate a go around on a five mile final.

Greg
domin752

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2009, 09:14:50 AM »

Domin,

I'm not suggesting to land without a landing clearance. What I'm saying is if you get close or past the point where usually you get switched to tower and the approach control freq is jammed with talking, simply switch and call tower. I think it's unnecessary to initiate a go around on a five mile final.

Greg

oh yea, sorry I misinterpreted what you were saying. They're usually good about that, but there has been one or two cases I can think of when we had to just switch to tower and explain the situation. everything worked out.

JD
Greg01

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2009, 02:04:58 PM »

No worries! Frequency changes are easy to work out if someone forgets for the most part.

Greg
pilot_ngb

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2009, 09:32:42 AM »

Pilot should have gone around.

With <40hrs in a C172 I once had to initiate a go ahead at 10' above the runway. The tower had not cleared us to land despite our final calls 3 times. A C150 had just departed the runway. It was safe to land, but we never got clearance. Simple really.
davrober

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2009, 11:43:44 AM »

huh I think i would have the presence of mind to ask approach if they plan to turn me over before I land . it's called paying attention in the cockpit. Because as perfect as we are it's only 99.9999 percent of the time. .   
Ok heres a question for pilots and controllers alike. Youre on final to an airport such as LAX and suddenly realize youre not talking tower like these fellas. Pilots, do you go around and try to establish contact or do you continue the approach like these guys and sort it out on the ground? Controllers at an airport like this what would you prefer these guys do?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length