airtraffic

Author Topic: AAL1027 stab trim failure at KMCO 2016-03-02  (Read 14572 times)

Offline oktalist

AAL1027 stab trim failure at KMCO 2016-03-02
« on: March 04, 2016, 03:49:08 PM »
MD83 went around, declared emergency and positioned for another approach to runway 18R after their stab trim became stuck at 6 degrees nose up. Upon retracting the flaps, the trim became unstuck. It became stuck again when they selected landing flaps, they landed successfully.

The captain sounds like a cool customer on frequency.

http://avherald.com/h?article=494e47fb

Offline GeoffSM1

Re: AAL1027 stab trim failure at KMCO 2016-03-02
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 03:01:14 AM »
Orlando Approach unaware the pilot had declared an Emergency!?

Offline StuSEL

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 12:44:01 PM »
Unaware of the details of the emergency. The aircraft had to go to departure to be vectored back to the airport, so the tower controller likely thought it would be easier for the next controller to gather those details. It is very difficult to get the required information when aircraft declare an emergency after takeoff or a go around (ie. a bird strike, or a case like this).

Offline GeoffSM1

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 04:06:12 PM »
Unaware of the details of the emergency. The aircraft had to go to departure to be vectored back to the airport, so the tower controller likely thought it would be easier for the next controller to gather those details. It is very difficult to get the required information when aircraft declare an emergency after takeoff or a go around (ie. a bird strike, or a case like this).

I appreciate there may be difficulties in this scenario but I can only say that I'm hearing it quite differently.

Offline semperflyer797

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 03:24:33 PM »
It was a little surprising to hear the first approach controller say they knew nothing about the emergency.  I would've thought someone in the tower, like a supervisor, would've picked up the phone and let approach know that AAL1027 had declared an emergency very shortly after they did and stayed on the line to give them more info as they got it.  At the very least as a heads up though.  Approach did a good job of handling it though.

I'm also attaching an edited version with only the relevant aircraft transmissions, silence truncated, and audio amplified to be able to better hear some of what was said from the emergency responders.

Offline GeoffSM1

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 05:30:23 PM »
It was a little surprising to hear the first approach controller say they knew nothing about the emergency.  I would've thought someone in the tower, like a supervisor, would've picked up the phone and let approach know that AAL1027 had declared an emergency very shortly after they did and stayed on the line to give them more info as they got it.  At the very least as a heads up though.  Approach did a good job of handling it though.

Precisely what I thought.