Author Topic: KPWM - Cessna does a touch and go without clearance 10/13  (Read 11092 times)

Offline Res2cuE

KPWM - Cessna does a touch and go without clearance 10/13
« on: October 15, 2010, 12:39:06 PM »
The clip starts with the  subject aircraft, Skyhawk 982SK, calling the approach controller to do touch and gos at the field.  He gets his pattern entry instructions and is handed off to tower.   He never made contact with the tower, later citing an incorrect frequency (though he read it back correctly on the hand off), but continued to make his touch and go.   His next transmission is to the approach controller when he is on the go.    The approach controller has a short, professional conversation with the student pilot as he departs the airspace.   

The clipped was edited only to remove periods of  silence. 

Offline vb105

Re: KPWM - Cessna does a touch and go without clearance 10/13
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 07:16:14 PM »
Good catch! Glad the controller kept his composure and wasn't too hard on the student pilot. A good lesson learnt.

Offline rightseat

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 07:48:09 PM »
I think he was trying to help him out with the, "did you see lights from the tower?"...

Offline serprah

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 10:33:45 AM »
You can hear the fear in his voice, but this is a lesson learned. Thankfully it was minor.

Offline CFD208

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 02:28:00 AM »
A lesson not forgotten from a mistake never to be made again.

Offline keith

• KS Flight Log
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 12:40:03 AM »
I really think this should've required a phone call from the student to the facility...and not because it required serious escalation or any action from the FAA-side, but simply because I fear that the lesson learned might have been the wrong one for the student.

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't say anything about this to his instructor and sweeps it under the rug, or maybe just gives up altogether after having his confidence utterly vanquished by the experience.  He shouldn't left to his own devices to learn from this one.

His instructor needs to know what happened...and not only is a basic review of the rules required...but a few lessons in ADM wouldn't go astray. It's a little confusing as to why he wouldn't have thought to do any of the following:
a) double check the frequency on the sectional (or GPS *eye roll*) after not hearing anything.
b) turn around and get out of there if he wasn't hearing anything
c) go back to the last frequency and report that he was unable to reach the tower

Instead, his course of action was to do a needless TOUCH AND GO at a Class C airport without talking anyone.

This pilot shouldn't be left to his own devices to learn from this mistake.  I do give credit to the controllers for remaining calm throughout, though, and for checking to see if he was a student rather than just tearing him into little pieces.