airtraffic

Author Topic: Aeroflot 102 goes around at KJFK on 9 July  (Read 8691 times)

Offline GeoffSM1

Aeroflot 102 goes around at KJFK on 9 July
« on: July 10, 2016, 03:01:12 PM »
When the Tower controller asks the reason for going round the pilot replies that they didn't have [landing?] clearance. I have listened to the Tower feed covering the period before the declaration and there is no sign of any contact with the aircraft during that time. Assuming no landing clearance had been given, does the fault lie with the aircrew or the controller in this situation, or is it shared? 

Offline VASAviation

• REAL ATC Transcripted Videos
Re: Aeroflot 102 goes around at KJFK on 9 July
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 03:35:04 PM »
If the aircraft didn't contact Tower, it's the pilots mistake.

But, if controller looks outside and sees that an aircraft is coming in and didn't call you, ATC should have tried to get ahold of them "Aeroflot 102, Tower, you on frequency?"

So, during the whole event since the aircraft is established until the aircraft goes around and contacts Departure, both sides act wrong in my opinion.

One for not calling, another for not checking he's not calling.

Another thing could be that the Aeroflot pilot called but 1- feed didn't get the call for x reason, or, 2- the pilot didn't press the button or press a wrong one thinking he was o frequency. In this case, if they didn't get even a "roger" from TWR, they should have called again to check in.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 03:37:38 PM by VictorAtienza94 »

Offline adanto6840

Re: Aeroflot 102 goes around at KJFK on 9 July
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 08:10:37 PM »
Good catch with this one, pretty unique situation that I haven't heard happen before.  Definitely interesting -- am kind of thinking a transmission was missed (both in the feed & by either the ATC or the pilot) but still strange that neither of them spoke up and inquired about it. 

Seems like the controller would have been like "hm, who is this guy that's in the middle of my sequence?!".

Great catch though, thanks!