Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2014, 08:38:04 PM
Home Help Login Register      
News: LiveATC.net Flyers Released!  Please click here to download & print a copy and be sure to post at an airport near you!

+  LiveATC Discussion Forums
|-+  Air Traffic Monitoring
| |-+  Aviation Audio Clips (Moderators: dave, RonR)
| | |-+  Alaska 261
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alaska 261  (Read 14367 times)
Fryy

« on: December 29, 2005, 12:00:15 AM »

On Jan. 31, 2000, Alaska Airlines Flight 261 crashed off the coast of California, killing 88 people bound for Seattle.

Chilling audio:
http://www.bayscan.net/alaska261.wav

Volunteer KSUU feeder
http://d.liveatc.net/ksuu.m3u
KMSY

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 12:28:16 AM »

Chilling it is... Here is the summary from the NTSB:
http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/2002/AAR0201.htm

and the overall investigation page:
http://www.ntsb.gov/events/2000/aka261/default.htm

Bryce

Jolly009

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 02:24:22 PM »

My Brother-In-Law's Mother was on that plane.  Listening to it, like I have numerous times (got it saved on my CPU) Just reminds me how those Pilots tried and tried to get her under control, and that the other planes around were concerned anough to keep an eye out, and to mark the spot, and check for survivors in other clips.

Kevin Schultz
Veteran USAF HH-60G Crew Chief
Firefighter/EMT-B
Scrapper

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 03:22:39 PM »

not exactly on topic but isn't your brother in law's mother your mother in law?
digger

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 03:40:51 PM »

My sister has a husband, and his mother isn't my mother in law.
Jolly009

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 03:58:06 PM »

Nope to My sister she would be her Mother-In-Law.....Like my wifes parents are in-laws to me, but to my sister they are nothing but Extended family and more presents at Christmas.....

Kevin Schultz
Veteran USAF HH-60G Crew Chief
Firefighter/EMT-B
Scrapper

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 05:50:59 PM »

ok, I'm actually drawing my family tree to try and understand this one... but I have no sisters... hehe... I'm just kidding... just trying to lighten the mood of a very sad occasion I guess... no disrespect though to your brother in law's mother (or your sister's mother in law... which for some reason makes more sense in my head... for some reason, I still can't wrap my mind around brother in law's mother... tomato tomahto I guess... hehe... and they let me control airplanes... SHEESH....)
 evil
digger

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 05:55:01 AM »

and they let me control airplanes... SHEESH....)

As long as if they were all moving around each other in 3 dimensional space you could keep them seperated...      wink
Scrapper

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005, 12:43:20 AM »

I have no problem keeping them seperated so far (and we keep them a little closer than on the civilian side...) but then again, no pilot has asked me about his brother in law's mother... that might be what finally sends me over the edge! hehe...  Tongue
spallanzani

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2006, 12:57:01 PM »

I studied this crash quite a lot and I feel sorry for everyone who were and are still affected by it.

Audio files are however very impressive, but pilots should have followed: land as soon as possible and do not change the airplane configuration if everything's working fine.
arffguy

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2006, 03:34:32 AM »

Quote from: spallanzani
but pilots should have followed: land as soon as possible and do not change the airplane configuration if everything's working fine.

It's easy to play Monday morning quarterback and that's a pretty arrogant comment to make.
PHL Approach

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 07:33:56 AM »

Quote from: arffguy
but pilots should have followed: land as soon as possible and do not change the airplane configuration if everything's working fine.

It's easy to play Monday morning quarterback and that's a pretty arrogant comment to make.

Took the words outta my mouth. Eh, spallanzani, ever flown an MD-80?
Jason

CFI/CFII

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006, 07:44:03 AM »

I studied this crash quite a lot and I feel sorry for everyone who were and are still affected by it.

Audio files are however very impressive, but pilots should have followed: land as soon as possible and do not change the airplane configuration if everything's working fine.

Spallanzani, I think what everyone is trying to say is, don't make such a broad statement.

Not to mention your statement was quite the oxymoron.  You would have to change aircraft configuration to land (in fact, many times).  wink

Also, airplanes are not just objects that you leave until they break, such a system inevitably fails.  Airplanes under-go preventative maint. to prevent problems.  Although problems do occur, the pilot can only do his/her best job.

..regarding aircraft configuration: I could be climbing and the airplane is gaining altitude.  Nothing is wrong, but I want to level off...under your statment, would I not be allowed to change my configuration (to level off and transition to cruise)?

I understand your reasoning behind your statement, but I think it was unrelated to this topic and type aircraft.

Jason
ZOTAN

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2006, 02:43:34 PM »

Unless you have a type rating in an MD-80 and thousands, you shouldn't be talking. Both of these pilots were very experienced and did everything they could.

Matt Stevens
n57flyguy

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2006, 06:39:55 PM »

That was bone chilling. I feel for those piltos and people aboard that aircraft. spallanzani, yeah i learnd the hard way to not say stupid statments like that, but dont take it personally. I know its not as easy as it seams.

Fly to live, live to fly!
Check out www.n57.com
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length