airtraffic

Author Topic: American 1529 gives jfk a heads up  (Read 18035 times)

Offline bogman

American 1529 gives jfk a heads up
« on: February 01, 2008, 08:35:36 PM »
I was listening to JFK ground/clearance,when I heard American 1529 give heads up why a plane needs to power up engines for deicing.He said that another airline asked for space to do this but the controller in the tower gave him a hard time.

Im sorry I am not able to edit this{oh the shame} but it is in the archives............JFK ground,time 15hours 22 mins 50 seconds ZULU TIME

I went in the archives for the tower and the only airline I could find that requested a power up was united 47..........Jfk tower,time 15 hours 10 minutes 51seconds,but the controller was fine

Maybe one of ye fine folks could find it.

Question how does one edit a clip? :?

Bogman

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: American 1529 gives jfk a heads up
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 09:56:18 PM »
Question how does one edit a clip?

How is your ability to learn new software?  Do you typically have a hard time learning new stuff, do you enjoy it, or somewhere in the middle? 

If you don't mind learning new stuff, the software you need to edit clips is a free, open source tool called Audacity and can be downloaded by clicking here.   Report back that you have installed it and a picture tutorial may follow.

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 02:24:48 PM »
What do you mean by power up the engines?  While deicing, or out on the runway immediately prior to takeoff?

If its the latter, I think that is aircraft specific.  I know that DAL's 737-800s must be run at a high power setting prior to the takeoff run.  I am not sure what the specific reason to do this would be, I could only guess and speculate

Offline bogman

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 05:32:38 PM »
What do you mean by power up the engines?  While deicing, or out on the runway immediately prior to takeoff?

Hey cessna 157,  Sorry power up was the wrong phrase I listened to the clip again and what he said was run up the engines which has to be done  every 20 mins or so to shed ice off so the plane can take off.

Sorry for the confusion,hope is the training going well ,im following things here.Its like watching a family member getting ready to graduate :lol:

Best of luck :-D

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 05:41:50 PM »
Haha, thanks dad.

Okay, now I understand what they're doing.  If there's an active snowstorm in progress, and the engines are at idle, ice can accumulate on the fans.  If it gets too bad, it's throw the engine out of balance and you'll get a bad vibration in the airframe.  Running the engines up simply throws the ice off of the blades and into the fan casing (it makes a pretty loud bang as its throwing the ice off at hundreds of miles per hour.  We don't necessarily have to do this on the ground, but in flight if we're in icing conditions and you get an engine vib, the checklist calls for the engines to be brought to a high power setting hoping that it'll throw any ice accumulation.

I am out of training now.  Had my first flight with a checkairman last week and finished up the airplane work (differences just requires me to fly 4 flights with a checkairman, then I'm done).  I'm currently out on my first official trip (left Thursday, done Sunday afternoon).  I'll be in/out of JFK tomorrow (sunday) bringing in a 700 from ATL and taking a 900 (which I'm completely in love with) to CVG.

Offline bogman

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 06:51:46 PM »
[  Report back that you have installed it and a picture tutorial may follow.
[/quote]

I dont know if I am little bit dizzy I have installed the software and tried to edit clip.I can zoom in to the time I want to edit but I am lost after that.It probably so simple Hommer Simpson can do it but me and computers ..................well let me put it this way ,one day I was not able to download a file and the keyboard ended on the otherside of the room.

So what I am basically asking for is HHHEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPP please. :?