Author Topic: FDX514 loses engine cowling while landing - KPHL  (Read 16579 times)

Offline cptbrw

FDX514 loses engine cowling while landing - KPHL
« on: October 01, 2012, 08:07:29 PM »
FDX514, a DC-10, lost an engine cowling upon landing at PHL on Friday, 09/28/12.  Another aircraft on the ground reported the FOD followed by further reports that the FOD was on the runway.  A couple of subsequent flights landed on the FODded runway (27R) and a couple chose to go around.  Runway was subsequently closed forcing all incoming to 27L which made for some delays as PHL now had only 1 runway for takeoff and landing.  Runway 27R was closed for about 25 minutes. Clip edited for time and relevant transmissions with a few missed transmissions due to multiple freqs on one feed.

http://avherald.com/h?article=456c1594&opt=6144

Offline timbotch

Re: FDX514 loses engine cowling while landing - KPHL
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
I can't be the only person trying to figure out why inbounds were being cleared to land after the initial report of a cowling on the runway...

Offline Rick108

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 09:04:32 PM »
I can't be the only person trying to figure out why inbounds were being cleared to land after the initial report of a cowling on the runway...
Yeah, I didn't get that, either.  Both pilots (smartly) decided to go around.  "That cowling is on the runway?"  "Well, we can't land there then, we're going around".  But why was tower still clearing aircraft to land on 27R, while holding off the ground crew waiting to clear the FOD until he had a gap???  Makes no sense to me, either...

Offline StuSEL

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 09:56:27 PM »
There's still about 7,000 ft. + left to land if there was an obstruction off of Runway 27R at Tango. That said, I don't really disagree with you guys.

Offline gboro flyer

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 12:07:52 AM »
Yeah, I didn't get that, either.  Both pilots (smartly) decided to go around.  "That cowling is on the runway?"  "Well, we can't land there then, we're going around".  But why was tower still clearing aircraft to land on 27R, while holding off the ground crew waiting to clear the FOD until he had a gap???  Makes no sense to me, either...

The first two aircraft behind the FDX did land without incident. It would be completly different if aircraft were taking off 27R, but it really wasnt that much of an issue for landing aircraft being that far down the runway. The tower explained the scenerio to all landing aircraft, two of the pilots chose to go around, and that was their call. However I dont see any problem with the tower clearing other aircraft  for landing and giving the pilots that option.

Offline flyflyfly

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 01:47:44 PM »

Considering that a cowling doesn't just fall off without a reason, there easily could have been more debris scattered across the runway, which may have separated earlier - like on touch down or when thrust reversers were deployed. Such smaller stuff is invisible from a longer distance. So I also find it a bit strange that they just cleared other aircraft.

Btw, the Concorde crash in 2000 was triggered by a small part from an engine cowling lying on the runway - and was also lost by a DC-10. Though, the part they lost at the time was an unapproved and improperly installed patch - so that wasn't really a DC-10 specific issue. Still, a reason to be careful with debris.

Offline timbotch

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 11:09:21 PM »

The first two aircraft behind the FDX did land without incident. It would be completly different if aircraft were taking off 27R, but it really wasnt that much of an issue for landing aircraft being that far down the runway. The tower explained the scenerio to all landing aircraft, two of the pilots chose to go around, and that was their call. However I dont see any problem with the tower clearing other aircraft  for landing and giving the pilots that option.

I see a huge problem with it. FOD is FOD.