Author Topic: Anyone Have Audio Of Helicopter Crash KCRQ?  (Read 13294 times)

Offline AssignmentDesk

Anyone Have Audio Of Helicopter Crash KCRQ?
« on: November 18, 2015, 08:13:31 PM »
Hi--

Does anyone have a clip of the audio relating to the helicopter crash at Palomar/McClellan Airport (KCRQ) that happened this afternoon (approx 4:20p Pac time, 11/18/15) in Carlsbad, CA?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 08:33:54 PM by AssignmentDesk »

Offline GeoffSM1

Re: Anyone Have Audio Of Helicopter Crash KCRQ?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 06:08:25 PM »
Audio attached.

---------------------------

A helicopter pilot and his friend were killed after their chopper spun out of control and caught fire while landing at McClellan-Palomar Airport Wednesday in Carlsbad, California, officials confirmed.

The pilot was identified as Bruce Allen Erickson, 65, of Rancho Santa Fe. His passenger was identified as Wayne Frank Lewis, 60, of Cardiff by the Sea. Both were confirmed dead at the scene.

Authorities said the pair had been practicing landings when the helicopter's tail hit the ground,.

Video sent to NBC 7 showed the AS350 AStar helicopter after it touched down on the runway at 4:20 p.m. on Wednesday. As its blades continued rotating, the chopper spun round and round for more than a minute before the tail broke off and smoke engulfed it.

According to witnesses, the helicopter continued spinning for another five minutes. When it stopped, both people onboard were dead, Carlsbad Fire officials said.

The airport, located at 2198 Palomar Airport Road, was temporarily closed following the deadly accident. On Thursday morning, officials announced the airport had reopened for helicopter operations amid the NTSB investigation, but the runway remained closed until further notice.

Source: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Plane-Crashes-at-Palomar-Airport--351555541.html#ixzz3ryudArEa
Follow us: @nbcsandiego on Twitter | NBCSanDiego on Facebook
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 06:11:53 PM by GeoffSM1 »

Offline AssignmentDesk

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 06:59:10 PM »
THANK YOU!

Offline GeoffSM1

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 07:34:07 PM »
More.

Offline woohookitty

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 04:54:48 AM »
Pretty incredible audio. Small, but heavily used airport

Offline dubyayoung

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 06:57:30 PM »
Has that Ground audio recording been edited?  Two reasons:
1. It seems immediately after the ground controller yells "Oh my God!" they are calling rescue saying that the helicopter is on fire, and there was no fire for several minutes afterward.
2.  There is also a news report of the pilot saying that his cart wasn't chocked, but I didn't hear that on the recording either.  And actually the news report seems amiss because the pilot says that the cart WAS (emphasis mine) like a skateboard out there, like it was an after the fact interview, not a comment in the moment. The news recording is also much cleaner than the ground recording presented here.
News report in question:
http://www.10news.com/news/team-10-they-didnt-chock-my-cart-pilot-said-moments-before-helicopter-spun-out-of-control
Video of helicopter landing and tail strike, then aftermath:

Offline adanto6840

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 10:27:16 AM »
Thanks for that video link -- is the clearest one I've seen.  Sad accident.  =(