Author Topic: Anyone have this? 80 year old woman lands plane after husband dies in route  (Read 16351 times)

Offline stan1541

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hK8u0JI-CYjGe4b48FwP4Mxjo5LQ?docId=13a11751a8b744d5bfd5ba5f1059263c

What an amazing story. Sorry to hear about the pilot, but as they all say, I'd rather die doing what I loved.

Offline eltors0

Try looking in the Green Bay tower archives.  I was listening to the event happen over the DEN while on shift. It was quite interesting.

Offline phil-s

Wow, a fantastic bit of flying instruction for all of us wannabees and impressive work by both pilot and instructor. Really impressive job by all. Sad of course, but I'd guess that getting Helen down safely is what her husband would have wanted most.

Thanks for posting.

Offline MSN ATC

The county Sheriff's office has a clip posted to their website. Pretty good listen. Its a big file so I didn't attach it here, but go to this URL

http://doorcountysheriff.homestead.com/April_2012_002.mp3

Offline patmike

Wow, a fantastic bit of flying instruction for all of us wannabees and impressive work by both pilot and instructor. Really impressive job by all. Sad of course, but I'd guess that getting Helen down safely is what her husband would have wanted most.

Thanks for posting.

that could have turned bad real quick if she ran out of gas on one of those climb outs or on the crosswind while he had her doing pattern work. the poor woman had so many people talking to her it was a miracle she made it.
bravo helen

Offline stan1541

Doesn't the FAA give awards to Controllers for their actions in emergencies? The chase pilot here needs that award. While everyone could have done things different, in the heat of the moment, i give them all the credit for landing that plane safely.

I just couldn't have been listening if it was my mother flying that plane.

Offline av8er71

Wow. What an amazing job by everyone. Big ups to Helen most of all, she kept her cool really well.