airtraffic

Author Topic: anyone know whos kid that was at jfk tower today? what a joke  (Read 106173 times)

Offline looneytunes

boy the media is having a field day with this one...lol   

Offline speedotann

Re: anyone know whos kid that was at jfk tower today? what a joke
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 12:01:03 AM »
All I know is that the FAA is investigating the situation..... Kinda makes me think about the Aeroflot flight I believe that the captain let his kid take the controls and they crashed killing everyone... It was on Air Crash Investigation!

B

Offline aevins

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 12:51:07 AM »
http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/traffic/traffic_news/boy-talks-to-pilots-from-jfk-airport-tower-20100302

When this was first posted I thought strongly about sending a PM to the original poster letting him know of the potential consequences to the controller's career. Regrettably, I opted not to because I didn't think it was my place.

As sad as I am to admit it, this isn't the first time this site has lead to ruined careers - of good people at that. This will probably be the second time at the same facility.

I guess that's the nature of the game...there's always someone listening :wink:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 12:58:02 AM by aevins »

Offline rekno13

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 01:51:00 AM »
sigh, I know its the rule and all, but still sad to hear things like this.

TC

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 07:22:42 AM »
When this was first posted I thought strongly about sending a PM to the original poster letting him know of the potential consequences to the controller's career. Regrettably, I opted not to because I didn't think it was my place.

As sad as I am to admit it, this isn't the first time this site has lead to ruined careers - of good people at that.

It's not this site's fault.  If it's not heard here it's heard countless other places.  There have even been instances of passengers on planes making inquiries that lead to investigations.  It's the nature of the profession that we are in a fishbowl, so to speak. 

In fact, I commend Dave (and any others who help run the site) for their sensitivity & discretion, after contacting him personally on a particular matter recently and the way he responded. 

I'm not saying you're laying blame, but I think it's fair to note that any discipline that may come is attributable to the choice(s) made, not how it may have come to light.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 07:50:35 AM »
First, there are others who listen to the aviation band frequencies.  Plenty of private individuals that don't even know about this web site.  The primary purpose of this site is pilot education, and entertainment as a second purpose.  The communications are in the public domain.

I find it offensive how the media finds something like this a real "story."  There is no story here.  It was a "bring your kid to work" day and I am sure it was a controlled and approved situation. 

Here we have a father, in this day and age, showing interest in his kid, and the world is so quick to call foul.  All the armchair "experts," and most of them never having visited an air traffic control facility.  And certainly not JFK Tower.  Only the best get to work at JFK, and it is a very well-run facility.

How many other parents show enough interest in their kids to show them their job?  This could be one of the most memorable trips for that kid.  And could even influence his future career plans.  We need more of this, properly supervised, not less.

Let it go.  Find some real news.

Offline MsDiva

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 08:41:08 AM »
I thought it was interesting to hear this child joyfully taken in his parents job. You can tell it was well controlled. When I heard it on The Today Show this morning I thought something terrible happen but when I listened carefully I couldn't believe they were getting in trouble for this. Not on pilot complained, the commended him on a good job. To be honest if I was there I probably would have patted him on the back myself. Blaming this site is like blaming Facebook when people post how they feel about their job at the moment get fired. One way or another it would have gotten out; I'm just sorry their careers may be over because of it.

Offline freundlt

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 08:50:39 AM »
Looks like the FAA is investigating - and it is authentic

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,587801,00.html

Offline VampyreGTX

• The Aspiring Pilot
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 09:21:16 AM »
The FAA's basis for an investigation is that the kid was not authorized to be in the tower, and, since the kid made the communications with the plane, the controller responsible was no longer in control of his/her air traffic.... yes, I think it's an overreaction, but imagine if, out of shear coincidence, something tragic had occured at that time or aroudn that time.  The average citizen would be calling for heads to role for something like that occuring.  I personally find it cool and am impressed with the kid; unfortunately, I will bet this will result in the controller losing their job. :(

Offline thalian

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 09:29:23 AM »
My first thought was...if I were a passenger on that plane how would I feel? And, yes my first instinct was to be concerned but then as I listened both on the today show & here I realized pretty quickly, this kid was not actually controlling air traffic. I think the pilots would have been a little more concerned had there been any cause for alarm.

Now that I have had a chance to think about it, I think its pretty cool the kid got to go to work with his Dad and see what he does for a living and even get a chance to talk to the pilots.

And coming from me that is saying a LOT as I am a lousy flier ever since 1986 when I was on a USAir flight (or was it United?)that almost crashed coming out of the Tyson/McGee airport in Knoxville, TN.
Chris
Seminole, FL

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 09:35:02 AM »
Of course it was a controlled situation.  Anyone who has been to JFK Tower or any tower knows that a kid would not be allowed to "control traffic."  His dad told him exactly what to say, and exactly when to say it, in a very controlled situation.

Offline Mjelle

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 10:27:25 AM »
Did anyone record this trough the LiveATC Feeds?

Offline PIT

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 10:33:27 AM »
Just out of curiosity has anyone seen any linking or mention of liveatc.net in any of the news stories? From what I have seen only one or two stories linked the site.

Offline AEROLINK

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 10:38:54 AM »
I just watched the Today show segment of the 'junior' controller at JFK. I must admit it put a smile :-) on my face. Nothing to indicate that there was every any danger, since I am certain that the controller and perhaps his supervisor, where carefully monitoring the whole thing. Probably brightened the day of all the pilots that were on the freq at the time as well.
Once question though: Besides the concerns already mentioned by the media , Aren't there strict radio- telephone licensing rules when it comes to those legally qualified to transmit on the VHF air-band?

Offline StuSEL

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 10:47:29 AM »
The controller has known about this site to begin with, so it's not as if he didn't know it was out there. There were pilots telling him about his Air China recording a couple of months ago.

Offline speedotann

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 10:48:30 AM »
Controlled or not controlled, they broke a major rule. I think not only should the controller be held responsible, but anyone who saw the kid in the restricted area. So is it ok for a surgeon to bring his kid to work and let his kid cut someone open? It's supervised so it must be ok! Come on guys!!

B

Offline AEROLINK

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 10:51:51 AM »
Do you have a link to that Air China recording?

Offline JTS97Z28

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 11:16:53 AM »
Well sounds like sure enough it was referenced that it all began at this site. Lovely

Offline bphendri

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 11:25:17 AM »
So is it ok for a surgeon to bring his kid to work and let his kid cut someone open? It's supervised so it must be ok! Come on guys!!

B
[/quote]

From having a father who is a physician, and having been allowed into the OR on occasion to observe an operation in progress, I can assure you that "Bring Your child to work day" in a medical setting can and does happen safetly.  While I wasn't handed the knife, I was allowed to ask questions on what the surgeon was doing, and ask question about the ekg rythm, and the ventilator, as well as "feel" the ambu bag as it breathed for the patient in automatic mode.  I was instructed on putting on scrubs, and was never in any position to interfere with the doctors at work.  Unfortunately such an opportunity would be much more difficult these days with HIPPA rules.  

Now to the incident at hand, from listening to the recording, This is much to do about nothing,  at any time if the kid had made a mistake in callsigns (Not very likely.. in a REPEAT after me scenario.)  for take off clearences, the controller (Which was also heard on the freq.) would have also been plugged in with a headset and made a correction just like they do when they train new controllers.)

I say good for the controller, and good for KJFK tower for allowing this to take place, it's not often any more kids get a REAL opportunity to be shown where all the effort they are putting in at school will pay off.  

Just my two cents.

Offline bphendri

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 11:26:52 AM »
Well sounds like sure enough it was referenced that it all began at this site. Lovely

Doesn't matter, even the actual tapes in the tower, are public domain and belong to the tax payers.....

Offline aevins

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 11:35:04 AM »
That was a different controller. Even if he had known that someone online would hear it he probably didn't imagine it would end up on CNN (who did credit LiveATC).

Offline scootbeek

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2010, 11:39:20 AM »
Did anyone get a recording of this up yet?

Offline keith

• KS Flight Log
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2010, 11:42:17 AM »
I hope it's investigated quickly, and, assuming there was no significant distraction found to have been caused by the incident, that the affected employees are put right back in the cab with minimal delay.

The amount of time and money invested in someone to get to the point where they're working JFK local cannot be insignificant.  Controller's should be pulled from the floor if they cannot do their job...but certainly not for this.

It was a lapse in judgment by the controller only in the sense that he should've known that if word got out, it would be completely and utterly blown out of proportion by the media and general public, forcing the FAA's hand.

As a kid, I got to adjust the heading selector on a SAS DC-9, and the #3 throttle setting on an Alitalia 747, after countless visits to cockpits on previous flights.  Those moments have stuck with me for life and helped fuel my enthusiasm for aviation.  I can only imagine the thrill for this kid, and what long-term impression it would've made on him/her (save for all the bad publicity).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 11:56:17 AM by keith »

Offline aevins

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2010, 12:10:39 PM »
Dave,

It was really nice to hear Susan Candiotti read you defense of the controller live on CNN!

Very cool, minus the fact that she said LiveATC.com instead of .net  :|!

Offline tucraceman

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 12:29:01 PM »
Hm, I thought it was cute.  Be nice to have a kid rather than that one grumpy dude I get at KTUS tower sometimes.
~D