Author Topic: Back to back Southwest emergencies at KBWI  (Read 14320 times)

Offline semperflyer797

Back to back Southwest emergencies at KBWI
« on: June 22, 2016, 04:20:45 AM »
Lots of fun at Baltimore the other day.  First Southwest 604 diverted to KBWI due to a flap issue.  While they were on final, Southwest 281 had an issue on takeoff which apparently caused damage to the number 1 engine and also ignited a fire near the runway.

Here's the AvHerald links:

http://avherald.com/h?article=49a14943&opt=0

http://avherald.com/h?article=49a14c50&opt=0

I have both the tower and ground control comms during the emergencies.  There isn't a whole lot to the tower comms but the ground has quite a bit more interesting stuff.  I did have to edit out a lot of the ground comms from all the planes calling to request push back clearance and taxi clearance.  Although both SW604 and SW281 seemed to land without incident, SW281 wasn't helpful with giving the tower information as to what the issue was that they were having.  It wasn't until after they were on the ground and the fire rescue was trying to get information that they finally said what the issue was.  Yes, fly the plane first, but I'm surprised they didn't give tower any info as to what was going on so that ground crews could be ready to respond.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 04:24:23 AM by semperflyer797 »

Offline pilot698

Re: Back to back Southwest emergencies at KBWI
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 01:42:11 PM »
SW281 had an engine over temp and likely a shut down on takeoff, which means a checklist for the over temp, a checklist for the shutdown, a checklist for the single engine landing, the normal checklists, a single engine landing and go around briefing, along with flying the airplane in less than 15 minutes. In reality passing on information like people on board or amount of fuel are insignificant details that the fire department needs for their paperwork. They can be helpful in the event of a crash but they really aren't at all important when you're flying an airplane on one engine while working all out to get it back on the ground in one piece. Not to mention one phone call to SW dispatch would get you that information.