airtraffic

Author Topic: Bonanza 5626D crash - Plainville MA 2015-06-28  (Read 28511 times)

Offline dbperry

Bonanza 5626D crash - Plainville MA 2015-06-28
« on: June 28, 2015, 09:08:01 PM »
Incident plane reported to be Bonanza G36 bound from Pennsylvania to Norwood (MA) airport (KOWD).

Audio is from KBOS approach south. Recording starts at 2136Z. I edited out most silences and also removed conversations with other aircraft. I also removed one irrelevant expletive. Controller calling 'radar contact lost' was at 2144Z. Edited audio length 3:30 down from actual elapsed time of about 8 min.

Plane impacted a house on Bridle Path in Plainville at 1745 local. Occupants of house reportedly escaped.  

Thoughts and prayers to all affected.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 09:22:45 PM by dbperry »

Offline VASAviation

• REAL ATC Transcripted Videos
Re: Bonanza 5626D crash - Plainville MA 2015-06-28
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 11:57:59 AM »
Could anyone please tell me what the ATC exactly says at 2:10 until 2:21?

He's talking about North-Central and something about a highway but can't get it all.

I'm working on a transcripted video about this! :-) :-)

Offline dbperry

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 12:09:39 PM »
somebody beat you to it, but i'm not convinced of the accuracy of this one:
http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/29429272/audio-transcript-plainville-plane-crash-pilot

i'll listen again tonight and see if I can hear anything more clearly (probably not).

"Route Four-Ninety-Five" is the highway the controller was trying to get him to.

see track here:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N5626D/history/20150628/2000ZZ/KLNS/KOWD

Offline VASAviation

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 12:23:11 PM »
Thanks dbperry.

That transcription is not that good. They miss important things and I really want to do a very good video about with images, maps and you know... graphical video, not just the letters.

If you can please, whenever you're able, transcript that part for me please, I'd really appreciate it! :-)

Offline martyj19

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 05:45:59 PM »
North Central is KSFZ in Pawtucket RI at a 360 heading north of Providence just outside its Class C.  495 is a major interstate that loops around Boston more or less just outside the Class B and inside the 30 mile transponder ring.  You can see it easily on the sectional.

Offline dbperry

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 10:10:23 PM »
As far as I can tell, this is what the controller says starting at about 2:10 on my edited recording. Words in brackets are words I'm not sure about.

"[November] two six delta very good. the ahhh the field is just off to your eleven o'clock at about eight miles there is a highway just off to your right hand side as well off ahh say two thirty now and about two and a half miles north south ahh interstate there."

I was able to slow the playback down to get it. I'll bet you were missing the reference to "north-south" interstate - as he does later, the controller is talking about the general orientation of Route 495.

The Boston Globe grabbed my edited file and reposted to their website. I wasn't expecting that. And I'm not complaining - it isn't "my" file - I just edited the audio that originated here on LiveATC.net. I'll let someone else police the rules of this website (I really don't know if they can repost it, but I'm not going to chase the issue).
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/06/29/pilot-reported-engine-failure-before-plane-crashed-into-plainville-home/hsIBbup9oqG593RnE1D8gI/story.html

Attached to this post is a complete unedited audio clip with silences and other comms. NOTE it does include what sounds like an uttered expletive. I have moved the start point to exactly 5:00 minutes in - so if the half hour raw files from the archive are exact (start exactly on the half hour), this file starts at exactly 1735 local /  2135Z. So you can extrapolate time stamps for each transmission using this file. I included the next transmission after radar contact lost and clipped the rest off.

Offline VASAviation

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 03:20:16 AM »
Thank you much dbperry!

Precisely, the North-South report is one of the things I got. But I missed the "right hand side" and some other little things.

I appreciate your time dbperry! Video edited and ready to upload! :wink: :wink:

Offline VASAviation

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 04:26:12 PM »
Here's the video I made about the crash.

Thanks dbperry for sharing the audio clip and helping me out with my doubt. :wink:

Offline jbrombach

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 09:30:41 AM »
Thanks for the info. 

Rick was a fine man.  F18 pilot if I remember correctly.  A nightmare.  He will be sorely missed. 

Offline rsc

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 11:40:36 PM »
Any idea why ATC didn't vector him to Mansfield? It
 doesn't have a GPS or ILS approach, just a localizer
 I think but anything would be better than  sending
him backwards in IMC while he is gliding at 3k. If he sent
him to Mansfield upon request for nearest airport it
looks like he might have made it. It would have been
 straight to a a right base to runway 14 Better than trying to land
on a highway coming out of IMC.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 12:35:51 AM by rsc »

Offline Aegis

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 01:10:59 PM »
" I also removed one irrelevant expletive."
Expletives are NEVER irrelevant to the trained accident investigator.
I am concerned that a rise in anti-science fundamentalist religious fervor here and abroad is generating increasing pressue both subtle and inexorable to bowdlerize research and particularly critical communication via recordings and transcripts such as this.
The frequency, tone, and specific selection of expletives provides great insight into the perceptions, perspectives, anxiety levels, frustrations, resignation, perceived or disregarded danger, and other critical aspects of the cockpit environment and accident concatenation. They often mark the first discernible onset of concern long before alarms flash. The first expletive on the USAir427 CVR for example is not harsh and delivered almost lightheartedly revealing that the crew saw no threat from the momentary turbulence or felt their initial extreme control response was unwarranted.  The selection and tone of San Diego PSA expletives by contrast confirm certain of the crew felt their situation was hopeless and had ceased to function as airmen.
Censorship of such core information must be deplored and discouraged.   Accident investigation is a scientific secular pursuit of truth to achieve future accident prevention and should not be constrained by medæval sensibilities and superstition.  We're all educated grown-ups here, one hopes.

Offline frcabot

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 03:17:06 AM »
An investigator from the National Transportation Safety Board probing the wreckage of Sunday’s crash reported finding a hole in the crankcase of the engine.

According to FAA registration records, the aircraft was powered by a Continental IO 550 engine, a 280-horsepower, six-cylinder powerplant. The IO 55O is among a family of engines manufactured or rebuilt from 1998 to 2000 that was subject to an FAA emergency airworthiness directive because of metal defects in a connecting rod journal.

“This condition, if not corrected, could result in crankshaft connecting rod journal fracture, which could result in total engine power loss, in-flight engine failure and possible forced landing,” the 2000 FAA directive reads.

Offline frcabot

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 03:18:45 AM »
Thanks for the info. 

Rick was a fine man.  F18 pilot if I remember correctly.  A nightmare.  He will be sorely missed. 
Who is Rick?? The pilot was Dr. Joseph Kalister, and he was a doctor. Did he change his name from Rick or something?

Offline njlarkin

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 11:38:08 AM »

There is an RNAV 32 and NDB 32 in Mansfield.  He wouldn't have made it there either.  Too far away.  495 probably was hi only chance and he likely broke out so low that he didn't have enough time to react and/or find it. 

Offline frcabot

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 08:07:39 PM »
That's exactly what happened. Apparently the ceilings were pretty low. This is one of those rare cases where the plane failed them and the pilot could do nothing more (as opposed to e.g., the pilot stalling the plane after engine failure because of pilot error). Flying IMC or in unlit areas at night on a single-engine is always risky, for exactly this reason.

Offline Delta767300

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2015, 07:32:35 PM »
Thanks for the info. 

Who is Rick?? The pilot was Dr. Joseph Kalister, and he was a doctor. Did he change his name from Rick or something?

Rick is his middle name. Very sad.

Offline dbperry

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 10:30:55 PM »
" I also removed one irrelevant expletive."
Expletives are NEVER irrelevant to the trained accident investigator.
I am concerned that a rise in anti-science fundamentalist religious fervor here and abroad is generating increasing pressue both subtle and inexorable to bowdlerize research and particularly critical communication via recordings and transcripts such as this.
The frequency, tone, and specific selection of expletives provides great insight into the perceptions, perspectives, anxiety levels, frustrations, resignation, perceived or disregarded danger, and other critical aspects of the cockpit environment and accident concatenation. They often mark the first discernible onset of concern long before alarms flash. The first expletive on the USAir427 CVR for example is not harsh and delivered almost lightheartedly revealing that the crew saw no threat from the momentary turbulence or felt their initial extreme control response was unwarranted.  The selection and tone of San Diego PSA expletives by contrast confirm certain of the crew felt their situation was hopeless and had ceased to function as airmen.
Censorship of such core information must be deplored and discouraged.   Accident investigation is a scientific secular pursuit of truth to achieve future accident prevention and should not be constrained by medæval sensibilities and superstition.  We're all educated grown-ups here, one hopes.

Wow, I've been called lots of things, but that's my first accusation as leaning to "anti-science fundamentalist religious" type.

I removed the expletive from the first recording because I was already slightly uneasy about posting the audio less than 4 hours after the pilot and passengers had died. There is no way my first edited recording could have much use to an investigator, since the silences and other comms were edited out - making the time sequence completely unrelated to reality. So if you're going to criticize the file for usefulness to an investigation, I would start by criticizing ANY editing, not only removal of an expletive. As Brad G. correctly noted, my intent was to provide a window into the interaction between ATC and the pilot as a problem developed.

Interesting to note that Dr. Kalister was "a United States Air Force pilot for 8 years, was stationed at Holloman AFB and was an F-15 pilot." Hard to criticize his qualifications as a pilot with that background.

See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/alamogordonews/obituary.aspx?n=Kalister-Family&pid=175207645

Offline dbperry

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 10:35:18 PM »
NTSB report on Plainville crash describes engine problems

"Preliminary examination of the engine revealed that the crankcase was breached over the #6 cylinder barrel. Two additional puncture holes were found in line with the #1 cylinder connecting rod, located between the left and right magnetos. The oil sump was fractured and partially melted away. Fragments consistent with bearing material, connecting rods, lifters and crankcase material were found in the oil sump and outside the engine crankcase. The engine was retained for further examination at a later date."

http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20150628X90626&key=1

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/07/14/ntsb-report-plainville-crash-describes-engine-problems/vxwIJpsWL2qbQyRkioQOYP/story.html

Yikes.

Offline rsc

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2015, 02:16:48 AM »

There is an RNAV 32 and NDB 32 in Mansfield.  He wouldn't have made it there either.  Too far away.  495 probably was hi only chance and he likely broke out so low that he didn't have enough time to react and/or find it. 

With a glide ratio of 1.9 mi /1000 feet and a ceiling of 800 feet he might have just made it VFR, especially if he landed on the grass on runway 4

Offline Robert Larson

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 01:05:31 AM »
Was curious, so...

METAR KSFZ 282135Z AUTO 01009KT 9SM OVC008 14/11 A2970 RMK
           AO1=

METAR KOWD 282153Z 01007KT 2 1/2SM BR OVC008 14/13 A2969
           RMK AO2 RAB03E12B33E42 CIG 005V009 SLP054 P0000
           T01390128=