Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 21, 2014, 04:00:27 PM
Home Help Login Register      
News: LiveATC.net Flyers Released!  Please click here to download & print a copy and be sure to post at an airport near you!

+  LiveATC Discussion Forums
|-+  Air Traffic Monitoring
| |-+  Aviation Audio Clips (Moderators: dave, RonR)
| | |-+  British Airways Fuel Leak Landing Heathrow Video
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: British Airways Fuel Leak Landing Heathrow Video  (Read 4497 times)
philip

« on: August 24, 2012, 03:39:24 PM »

Recorded ATC I've just got hour 7 uploaded and this is the one with the Fuel Leak and full emergency services
Fred_Garvin

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 07:07:16 PM »

Wow that  tug around the 15 min mark isn't playing around.  The military would have taken 30 min for that tow.
Eric M

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 10:36:08 PM »

Why do the tugs pull the planes forward for so long like that? Can't the planes' engines handle it themselves?
Fred_Garvin

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 12:27:16 PM »

One reason may be that  it is coming out of maintenance.
Moving it out of a hangar etc.   It is easier and the tugs fuel burn is
quite a bit less than the Boeing!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 12:29:25 PM by Fred_Garvin » Logged
cessna157

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 04:54:16 PM »

Why do the tugs pull the planes forward for so long like that? Can't the planes' engines handle it themselves?

If you're ever around ATL, you'll see a whole fleet of "minitugs" and "supertugs".  Maintenance facilities for ExpressJet and AirTran are on the north side, Delta on the east side, and spare Delta parking on the north and south sides. It is much more cost efficient to pick these planes up with a tug and ramp agents and tow them around the airport, rather than paying mechanics or pilots to burn fuel and taxi them around.

CRJ7/CRJ9 F/O, Travel Agent
Eric M

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 10:38:52 PM »

I just took a series of five commercial flight segments last week, making a big swing around the southwest states, and I noticed tugs in use a lot, too. In almost every case, the planes I was on were pushed back and then tugged all the way out to where the taxiways officially start.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length