airtraffic

Author Topic: Can I get your phone number sir?  (Read 18044 times)

Zombonie

Can I get your phone number sir?
« on: February 11, 2010, 06:23:14 PM »
Hi All,

I'm a long time lurker of this site and forum but I don't think I've ever posted (maybe years ago?).

Anyway, I came across an old file I had recorded myself while watching the planes at Reid Hillview (KRHV)
in San Jose and thought it was interesting.

This was an uncomfortable exchange between the tower/ground controllers and a Cessna 172 if I remember correctly.
I wonder what was said on the phone...?

Sorry for the quality, this is the audio file from a video I was taking while sitting in my car.

Kevin

Offline fpborges

Re: Can I get your phone number sir?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 07:15:59 PM »
Interesting clip.  I'd love to take a look at that video. Maybe some clues there? :)  Thanks for posting!

Offline fholbert

• 160knots.com
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 10:26:55 PM »
Pilot didn't sound too sharp. He was eaten alive.

Zombonie

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 05:41:45 PM »
Thank's fpborges.  From where I was sitting there was really no view of the field, just the approaching planes so unfortunately it wouldn't help.  I'm going out on a limb and guessing he was a student pilot, trying to communicate with atc as he'd been taught?  I know there's a large number of flight schools located there.

fholbert, i agree, he was owned.  As I recall it was somewhat busy that day, and the tower didn't have time to deal with him.  By the way, I'm a subscriber of yours on youtube, really enjoy your videos!

Kevin

Offline Dave_B

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 01:11:57 PM »
Interesting clip.  I'd love to take a look at that video. Maybe some clues there? :)  Thanks for posting!

Seems pretty straightforward - he landed 31R and exited on a taxiway but was told to hold short of another taxiway that parallels the runway. No read-back on the hold short (likely was in the ATIS but good idea even if it were not).  Pilot was in the twilight zone with I guess no idea what to "say" after he landed.

I am not a big fan of unnecessarily "chippy" controllers, but this controller was pretty patient. If I were him I would be secretly hoping that the pilot DID call so that he could learn a few things.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 01:32:32 PM by Dave_B »

Zombonie

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 02:34:57 PM »
Interesting clip.  I'd love to take a look at that video. Maybe some clues there? :)  Thanks for posting!

No read-back on the hold short (likely was in the ATIS but good idea even if it were not).

I'm not a pilot so I could be 100% wrong, but I don't understand why he would be tuned to ATIS seconds after landing?

Second, I've listened to this clip many times and I detect a noticeable hint of attitude in the pilots voice when he corrects the tower controller, "Yeah, but my tail number is 206JM," as if he'd heard both calls and was annoyed that the tower had transposed a letter.  He also may just have been one of those, "I need to be right" sort of people.  His immediate response and attitude to the second call makes me think he heard both.

Maybe that's overly pessimistic, but I think the pilot could have responded for more amicably.

Offline w0x0f

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 04:22:08 PM »

No read-back on the hold short (likely was in the ATIS but good idea even if it were not).

I'm not a pilot so I could be 100% wrong, but I don't understand why he would be tuned to ATIS seconds after landing?

Second, I've listened to this clip many times and I detect a noticeable hint of attitude in the pilots voice when he corrects the tower controller, "Yeah, but my tail number is 206JM," as if he'd heard both calls and was annoyed that the tower had transposed a letter.  He also may just have been one of those, "I need to be right" sort of people.  His immediate response and attitude to the second call makes me think he heard both.

Maybe that's overly pessimistic, but I think the pilot could have responded for more amicably.

Pilots are required to read back hold short instructions.  This does not mean saying roger or wilco or just saying your call sign.  Controllers are required to receive hold short instructions as I just described.  ATIS broadcasts include "Read back all hold short instructions." 

fpborges was just saying that we have to assume the pilot knows he needs to read back the hold short instruction and that he had the ATIS prior to landing which included the the read back requirement.  So he should have known to make the read back.

So no, he would not be listening to the ATIS after exiting the runway.  This should have been done before initial contact with ATC.  I hope I cleared that up for you.  I may have made that more confusing.   :-)

w0x0f

Zombonie

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 05:57:01 PM »

Pilots are required to read back hold short instructions.  This does not mean saying roger or wilco or just saying your call sign.  Controllers are required to receive hold short instructions as I just described.  ATIS broadcasts include "Read back all hold short instructions." 

fpborges was just saying that we have to assume the pilot knows he needs to read back the hold short instruction and that he had the ATIS prior to landing which included the the read back requirement.  So he should have known to make the read back.

So no, he would not be listening to the ATIS after exiting the runway.  This should have been done before initial contact with ATC.  I hope I cleared that up for you.  I may have made that more confusing.   :-)

w0x0f

Oh I see what you meant, I just misread.  I thought reading back hold short instructions was universally required.

Offline Switch Monkey

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 02:17:49 AM »
The tower controller sounded totally professional, not sure why the pilot asked for his number. Maybe it was unrelated to the hold short instructions?