Author Topic: Cathay Pacific 777 pilot gets the boot for low-level fly past  (Read 28527 times)

Offline Flying Scotsman

Cathay Pacific 777 pilot gets the boot for low-level fly past
« on: February 25, 2008, 02:50:23 PM »
Not quite a movie clip but rather a quick four second montage of shots from an unauthorized fly past made by a senior Cathay Pacific pilot, Captain Ian Wilkinson, in a brand new 777-300ER at Boeing's Everett facilities on January 30th. After a disciplinary hearing he was dismissed.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=p7hpVH1IAQM

The London Times ran an article about it in today's paper:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3427696.ece

The question is, was he fired for pulling the stunt, or for not obtaining appropriate authorization? It was suggested that one of the Cathay Pacific top brass on board at the time requested Captain Wilkinson perform the maneuver.

Offline Hollis

Re: Cathay Pacific 777 pilot gets the boot for low-level fly past
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 03:41:15 PM »
Only down to 28 feet? Here's an old pic of my brother doing a low pass. (Don't try this at home!)...he was a professional test pilot.

Offline Panop

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 08:07:45 PM »
Not wishing to make light of Capt Wilkinson's dilemma (and apparent loss of GBP250,000 a year - his wallet must have needing calculating for take off weight!) but I am sure he can find some airlines in Russia who would be only too pleased to employ a pilot who can fly that well.  See "Il-76 Heavy Take Off Viewed from the Tower" posts! :wink:

Offline moto400ex

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 08:45:16 PM »
damn 250000 pounds a year thats over 400k a year.  Anyone know who the the highest paid pilot in the U.S is and what he or she is making?

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 09:46:04 PM »
Probably FedEx or UPS capt.  They have traditionally been the highest paid in the US.

Offline mk

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 12:07:23 PM »
had a friend in college who's dad made 400k + prior to 9/11.  worked for UAL

Offline Flying Scotsman

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 12:14:02 PM »
Gives us all a goal to shoot for I suppose!

Offline bogman

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 03:29:07 PM »
I thought I would bring ye all back down to reality.................enjoy

http://

Offline mk

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 11:31:05 PM »
i wasn't saying to expect...just saying that's what they used to make.   and that's why the airlines are going tits up...can't pay many pilots like that and make money.  i'm a commercial pilot...could'a got on with a regional carrier last year when the mins dropped but not for that kind of pay.  if i'm gonna be sitting and talking i'm gonna be able to be in my bed at the end of the day

Offline moto400ex

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 12:02:32 AM »
i wasn't saying to expect...just saying that's what they used to make.   and that's why the airlines are going tits up...can't pay many pilots like that and make money.  i'm a commercial pilot...could'a got on with a regional carrier last year when the mins dropped but not for that kind of pay.  if i'm gonna be sitting and talking i'm gonna be able to be in my bed at the end of the day

Then again alot of people are not doing it for the money.  Its really only first year f/o pay thats hurts, after that it becomes more reasonable.  I wouldnt have spent 55000 dollars and counting on my flight training if I didnt love what I was doing.  Pay is prob not going to increase anytime soon so not sure what you do or your intentions are but I d like ot get my foot in the airlines as soon as possible no matter what the pay is.

Offline mk

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 09:58:03 AM »
i wanted to work for the airlines all my life.  but when i was flying back home from college and was delayed every other flight, having to spend the night here and there it just wasn't worth it to me.  i spent that much and more on my flight training. had a job flying part 91 for a company after college. $275 a day.  i would have flown for free...that's how us pilots are...love what we do...but it was just the combination that turned me away....hardly enough money for the responsibilities, time away from home, time on the road, etc..

i miss flying everyday, but i love what i do now even more.  and it's obvious i don't control for the money since there was a 30% pay cut just before i went to OKC.    PM me if you ever fly into the DC metro area

Offline Flying Scotsman

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 10:07:43 AM »
Whether you're working some dreary office job or working as an F/O for a regional carrier, you're likely making the same. The difference is i'd rather have the view out of a cockpit window than stare aimlessly at the walls in some cube farm.

Offline NAplaya16-ATC

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 01:57:15 PM »
just to break from the whole issue goin on right now, even though it is very important,    but i will say,  i wish i was there to see that happen in person.  just because that would be awesome to see a 777 do a fly-by, to me, (still an underage retarded kid who loves aviation), just lookin at a 777 is kickass, b/c its that gigantic,  and a third reason is that that plane has a beautiful paint scheme.  i really like Cathay Pacific's paint scheme!   

just adding my 2 cents worth opinion!  lol

Offline mk

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 11:24:01 AM »
yeah, def couldn't do a 9-5, same ole desk flyin' job!!!  makes me stressed thinking about it

Offline Flying Scotsman

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 02:38:23 PM »
I'm paying for my flying lessons by living a double life as a desk jockey. To add insult to injury I can see the Toronto City Centre Airport from my cubicle! Mind you it also serves as a good motivator.

Offline athaker

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 05:51:09 PM »
I authorize this guy to do a 777 flyby of my house

Offline mk

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 11:43:37 AM »
this isn't a B777...but it's low and fast!!!  props to the camera for not running or moving!

Offline NAplaya16-ATC

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 10:07:51 PM »
that cessna video is awesome!!!

i love it!