Author Topic: Cessna 172 flight to Winona MS and return with ATC COMS - 2 videos  (Read 16424 times)

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
Cessna 172 flight to Winona MS and return with ATC COMS - 2 videos

Yesterday's flights....

C172 flight to Winona 6 minute video

Flight from KMBO to 5A6.  Video timelapsed enroute. Interesting conversation with ATC about my You Tube videos included in this video as well as a PIREP from another pilot.

Ipad GPS tracking on VFR sectional included in the video using the Foreflight program and landing at Winona

C172 flight return back to Madison.- 5 3/4 minute video

Video includes takeoff from Winona SM, contacting KJAN approach, circumventing thunderstorms and lots of deviation requests from other airplanes due to weather, Ipad radar using ForeFlight application and landing at KMBO

alltheway

Re: Cessna 172 flight to Winona MS and return with ATC COMS - 2 videos
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 04:45:12 AM »
I yet have to see the second video, but I was staring at the hood all the time, still wondering when it "pops" open

Who ever was flying this C172, in the second video,   ya know the riddle?

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

VASI: White over White= you're high as kites - WHite over red = Not too bad - Red over White = You're allright - Red over red you're dead
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 04:57:21 AM by alltheway »

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 08:04:43 AM »
I yet have to see the second video, but I was staring at the hood all the time, still wondering when it "pops" open

Who ever was flying this C172, in the second video,   ya know the riddle?

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

VASI: White over White= you're high as kites - WHite over red = Not too bad - Red over White = You're allright - Red over red you're dead

I tend to drop below Vasi once I know the runway has been made so I'm guilty as charged.   :-D   :-D

Though I have not heard white over red????  I don't think on VASI that is possible?  Could that possible apply to PAPI or another type of visual approach aide?

I have to agree, plenty of parasitic drag on this plane with as much shaking that cowling did.

Offline demento21

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 11:53:14 AM »

Though I have not heard white over red????  I don't think on VASI that is possible?  Could that possible apply to PAPI or another type of visual approach aide?

Its possible... you could be making the approach upside down!  :-D

alltheway

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 12:04:59 PM »
White over red is easier to understand when you have four VASI lights, where you normally would see two white and two red, this riddle applies when you have 3 red and one white for expample so it is possible with two VASI lights to just be above or below glideslope.... (Sarcastic comment: "Only experienced stunt flyers know this ofcourse")

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 12:17:14 PM »
White over red is easier to understand when you have four VASI lights, where you normally would see two white and two red, this riddle applies when you have 3 red and one white for expample so it is possible with two VASI lights to just be above or below glideslope.... (Sarcastic comment: "Only experienced stunt flyers know this ofcourse")

Gotchya, for clarity sake the 4 light system you describe is a PAPI (precision approach).  VASI is a two light system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_Approach_Slope_Indicator includes some Mnemonics.

alltheway

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 01:53:24 PM »

Gotchya, for clarity sake the 4 light system you describe is a PAPI (precision approach).  VASI is a two light system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_Approach_Slope_Indicator includes some Mnemonics.

I only used the PAPI as an excample, we here in Europe learn it as a riddle for VASI, just to know how your appoach is build up....

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 02:00:14 PM »
I only used the PAPI as an excample, we here in Europe learn it as a riddle for VASI, just to know how your appoach is build up....

Ohhh, ok, wow, so easy to forget how small the world gets with the advent of internet and how communications cross continents.  8-)

alltheway

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 02:06:10 PM »
And another rule of thumb in Europe we don't have Cessna's 172, but here they are called Reims (Cessna) 172... Just to know huh?  :mrgreen:

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 02:10:07 PM »
And another rule of thumb in Europe we don't have Cessna's 172, but here they are called Reims (Cessna) 172... Just to know huh?  :mrgreen:

Interesting.  Will the ATC flight strip show C172?

Offline aviator_06

• FSFlightSchool.com - Student Pilot Resources | Aviation Videos
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 11:06:19 PM »
Watched on youtube. I sold my plane too  :-(

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 07:46:56 PM »
Watched on youtube. I sold my plane too  :-(

Yeah, I miss "Lucky Louie" but I didn't post tribute video link here since no ATC in video.

My BFR is due this month, got a flight planned for Sunday weather Gods behaving and also hope on Friday to get up with a friend of mine as safety so maybe another chance for video with ATC COMS.