Author Topic: Cessna 210 Engine Emergency over So Cal  (Read 10332 times)

Offline uplink

• PPL ASEL, SOCAL AREA
    • SOCAL TRACON/VAN NUYS APPROACH
Cessna 210 Engine Emergency over So Cal
« on: February 10, 2010, 06:33:56 PM »
Harrowing to hear.  Cessna Centurion departed Whiteman/KWHP on the way to Paso Robles, diverted to Van Nuys.  It was pouring rain with thundershowers out here yesterday.  Socal approach did a great job helping this guy.  The Van Nuys feed may have been down, cause I couldn't get the archive to come up.

Flightaware track log...

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N5189A

Offline uplink

• PPL ASEL, SOCAL AREA
    • SOCAL TRACON/VAN NUYS APPROACH

Offline bleyton

• Tarpy Tailors - the finest airline uniforms, since 1934
Re: Cessna 210 Engine Emergency over So Cal
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 11:26:47 AM »
Nice catch.  I happened to be home that day, and was listening to my feed (I had just noticed a big weather cell go through, and tuned in to see what might be going on).  I caught about the last half of the conversation that you posted, and when the controller turned him over to the KVNY tower, I went looking for the KVNY feed, but it was down.

I tried the link to the KVNY landing portion that you posted but it gave me the error "something is wrong". 

I see from Flightaware that he obviously landed safely and continued his journey, but during this episode you could hear the tension in his voice when he was talking to the controller.  It has to be pretty scary to be flying through that kind of weather with a malfunctioning engine.  I'm sure that was an event he won't soon forget.

Brian
Your KBUR feeder

Offline jeffcyn

Re: Cessna 210 Engine Emergency over So Cal
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 11:39:07 AM »
I tried the link to the KVNY landing portion that you posted but it gave me the error "something is wrong". 

It appears they may have pulled the file from their servers.  Luckily I did not delete the copy I downloaded.  It is attached for your listening pleasure.