Author Topic: Controller Change  (Read 37814 times)

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
Controller Change
« on: July 13, 2005, 04:08:37 PM »
This is a clip of everyone's favorite local controller at PHL just as a relieving controller was coming on duty.  She tells an aircraft to "standby, I'm in the middle of a controller change..." The pilot replies, "good."

BTW, nice call on Audacity Dave, it works well.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
Controller Change
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 04:24:51 PM »
Quote from: davolijj
This is a clip of everyone's favorite local controller at PHL just as a relieving controller was coming on duty.  She tells an aircraft to "standby, I'm in the middle of a controller change..." The pilot replies, "good."

[EDIT: I have edited out this portion of my post after re-reading it]

Quote from: davolijj
BTW, nice call on Audacity Dave, it works well.

Yup.  It's a great tool!  8)  :lol:

Offline jhjemvick

• http://www.5urrealism.com
Controller Change
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 05:45:50 AM »
I have to say I find it cute that you, not a real world controller, are suggesting that a fully qualified ATCS to get into a tower simulator.  Amazing.  Let her supervisor, and ATM make that call.

And controllers dont dislike pilots for no reason.

Offline Jay

Controller Change
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 02:21:41 PM »
Have you talked toNew York approach lately?

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
Pilots hate controllers?
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 03:08:25 PM »
Quote from: Jay
Have you talked toNew York approach lately?

That's not a fair example.  That is like saying all cashiers hate all customers based on a trip to WalMart.  The FEW people at New York you're talking about examplify New Yorkers more than they do than controllers.

Offline nfredrich

Controller Change
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 03:17:43 PM »
and i thought this would be the only forum out there without stuff like this going on. There is always one out there that takes things literally all the time.

I have to say I find it cute that you, not a real world controller, are suggesting that a fully qualified ATCS to get into a tower simulator. Amazing. Let her supervisor, and ATM make that call.

Offline PHL Approach

Controller Change
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 07:01:43 PM »
Quote from: jhjemvick
I have to say I find it cute that you, not a real world controller, are suggesting that a fully qualified ATCS to get into a tower simulator.  Amazing.  Let her supervisor, and ATM make that call.

Actually she's not a fully qualified ATCS, she just moved over to PHL from PNE a few weeks ago. Alot of the GA pilots hated her attitude, and now it's the ATP's turn.

Offline taf158

Controller Change
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 07:33:34 PM »
I am one of those GA pilots at PNE, and I agree for sure that she is not the best controller out there. Just to give an example she gave me a takeoff clnc. on 33 which intersects w/ 24. I tookoff, and then she told me to make a right turn out to the east. I did that, and about 3 mins later she came back on and told me that I shouldn't have made a right turn out, because it put me in conflict with arrivals on the perpendicular 24 and to never do it again. I just clicked the mic to acknowledge and went on my way. She clearly gets confused and thinks she says things that she actually does not. It can't be a safe practice when dealing with jets closing in on each other at at the 35/27R intersection, thankfully approach gets to space them out initally. I'm dreading the day she moves down to the TRACON and starts to work 123.8

Offline Jay

Controller Change
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 07:46:06 PM »
OH dear,  :o  I should tape her and report her

Offline PHL Approach

Controller Change
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 08:01:40 PM »
Quote from: taf158
I'm dreading the day she moves down to the TRACON and starts to work 123.8

No, I'm gonna dread the day when she works Final Vectors 1 on 25.4  :shock:

Offline taf158

Controller Change
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 04:16:31 PM »
Tell me about it, there's going to guys holding at VCN, and BUNTS all the time because final will be "too backed up"

Offline jhjemvick

• http://www.5urrealism.com
Controller Change
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 05:52:28 PM »
Quote from: nfredrich
and i thought this would be the only forum out there without stuff like this going on. There is always one out there that takes things literally all the time.

I have to say I find it cute that you, not a real world controller, are suggesting that a fully qualified ATCS to get into a tower simulator. Amazing. Let her supervisor, and ATM make that call.

I suppose in a perfect world Nick, where individuals do not pass judgement on others without first hand experience, or any other significant experience.  Some GA pilot discrediting the work of an ATCS solely based on a recording, is amazingly sad in my eyes.  It is exactly the same for me to say something horrible about some poor, half arse, GA pilot, and take that assumption and tell him to go back to ground school.  Neither of them belong here on this forum, much less any other.  That is the leason I am trying to get through to the eyes of some of the younger members in the aviation community.  Just because you feel you are high and mighty, or are just the average joe GA pilot, the system works off of professionals on both sides.  She earned her card someplace, someone found it that she was good enough to be checked out, just like some FAA Examiner signed off on some poor slum GA pilot.  It happens, but there is certainly no reason to suggest that a fully qualified ATCS (no matter if it is at PHL where she just transfered, she is a qualified ATCS with her card at someplace) should go back to a TWR sim.  There should be no professional disrespect to anyone who works in these (ATP and ATCS) two career fields.

Offline PHL Approach

Controller Change
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 04:52:05 PM »
I have been meaning to write this for a few weeks. Guess who is doing OJT in the Tracon.....

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
Controller Change
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2006, 05:50:45 PM »
Quote from: PHL_Approach
I have been meaning to write this for a few weeks. Guess who is doing OJT in the Tracon.....

How's she doing?  feel free to post some more clips...

Offline PHL Approach

Controller Change
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006, 06:25:22 PM »
I'd say for the most part, she sounds comfortable. Though I haven't heard her on a completely saturated Thursday/ Friday night. She was working South Arrival at around 3:30-4pm today.

Offline phlcontroller

Controller Change
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 03:39:55 PM »
I know that some controllers are better at their jobs than others, just as some pilots are better than others. But until you walk in the shoes of the person your criticizing and experience the job yourself, I don't think it is #1-fair to the individual,  #2 necessary for this forum, #3- Does nothing to advance the integrity of the web site. CB.

Offline PHL Approach

Controller Change
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2006, 04:40:26 PM »
This is very old stuff. To bad the thousands of pilots that have flown with her at both PHL and PNE don't feel the same way. I would have to say Tara is in the same place as this woman...

BTW, When can I start Chad   :P

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
Controller Change
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2006, 06:32:12 PM »
Quote from: phlcontroller
I know that some controllers are better at their jobs than others, just as some pilots are better than others. But until you walk in the shoes of the person your criticizing and experience the job yourself....

You're right...I'm sure the developmental in question is beloved by all the controllers at PHL tower.  But judging by these clips she's obviously got some issues with pilots.

Quote from: phlcontroller
I don't think it is #1-fair to the individual,  #2 necessary for this forum, #3- Does nothing to advance the integrity of the web site. CB

I'm pretty sure no one on this site makes posts to try and "advance the integrity of the web site."  Most of us do however try not to detriment its integrity.  Some would ask how certain controllers affect the integrity of a facility.   I think the crew at PHL does an incredible job everyday, and when someone is struggling it really stands out.:wink: