airtraffic

Author Topic: Costera 673 started takeoff roll without clearance  (Read 17609 times)

Offline falstro

• excu.se
Costera 673 started takeoff roll without clearance
« on: March 01, 2014, 04:36:15 PM »
Costera 673 at Guatemala City on Feb 27th, started takeoff roll without clearance (or mistook a helicopter takeoff clearance as its own). The AVHerald has the story: http://avherald.com/h?article=470b28d4

I searched the archives, and with my (very) limited Spanish I cut it down to the relevant parts. However, the AVHerald speaks of a heated discussion, and I can't really understand what they're saying, so if anyone is able to translate and feel like posting a transcript, it'd be much appreciated :)

I think (I hope) the clip starts with the line-up-and-wait instruction, and I cut it after the last mention of "673" that I could hear, I also removed a little bit of silence.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 04:38:09 PM by roe »

Offline phil-s

Re: Costera 673 started takeoff roll without clearance
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 12:44:40 AM »
No heated exchange whatsoever. 673 was told to abort, that it had not received takeoff clearance. It aborted takeoff but explained (calmly) that it was sure it HAD received takeoff clearance. Tower responded, more or less -- "We will review the tapes but I'm  sure we didn't give take off clearance." End of story, at least for now.

The audio at the beginning is pretty garbled, then improves greatly. If someone really wants an English transcript, I'd be willing to give it a try. Just let me know.

Offline falstro

• excu.se
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 03:28:31 AM »
No heated exchange whatsoever. 673 was told to abort, that it had not received takeoff clearance. It aborted takeoff but explained (calmly) that it was sure it HAD received takeoff clearance. Tower responded, more or less -- "We will review the tapes but I'm  sure we didn't give take off clearance." End of story, at least for now.

The audio at the beginning is pretty garbled, then improves greatly. If someone really wants an English transcript, I'd be willing to give it a try. Just let me know.

Thanks! Yeah, that's what I gathered as well (not the content, that was out of my league, but the exchange didn't seem very heated to me). I don't need a full transcript, but 59 seconds into the clip I think the controller orders him to stop, and I'm trying to figure out the exact words he's using (it's a 3 second transmission). If I hear correctly, he says something about clearance (I picked up quite a few words listening through the archives, "cleared for takeoff" is "autorizado despegar" right?) :) it sounds like "no ?? autorizando" which would be present participle of "autorizar", followed by something repeated and if I'm not mistaken there's an "ahora" in between with the last 'a' muted (though I might be completely off the mark here), so I'm guessing it goes along these lines "673 I wasn't clearing you, stop right now, stop", but I couldn't find any translation of stop, halt or hold that sounds like what he's saying, so perhaps I'm only hearing what I expect to be hearing and he's saying something completely different.

If you (or anyone else for that matter), could help me with that one transmission (both in Spanish and translated) it would be much appreciated!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 09:25:29 AM by roe »

Offline XA-CMF

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 02:03:39 PM »
Here is the transalation of the ATC between TWR and SLI673, these guys created more than just taking off with out clearance.. a traffic in final had to abort landing...

0000 TWR: SLI673 roll to RWY02, hold short.
0003 SLI673: hold short RWY02.

OTHER ATC

AT 0050 TWR authorize a helicopter traffic for approach to land in the executive platform.
0059 TWR: 673 you were not authorize to take off, abort take off.
0108 TWR: 673 you were only authorize to hold short, RWY02
0113 SLI673: Negative.
0108 TWR: 673 make a 180  on RWY and return to position RWY02
0113 SLI673: 180 on RWY back to position RWY02, and yes, for sure we were authorize to take off sir, apologize, but we were authorize. We are returning so we can take off again form RWY02 (looks to be the other pilot, perhaps Captain)
0137 TWR: 673 if you want exit via R and then roll to position RWY02, we will verify the ATC recordings and I’m sure we only authorize hold short.
0113 SLI673: please do so.
0232 TWR: SLI673 RWY02 cleared to take off, we appreciate if you do nto delay as we have traffic on short final.
0316 SLI673: we need to evacuate runway, we need to reconfigure our FMC
0323 TWR: Then roll to KILO, left on K  and evacuate RWY02
0329 SLI673:we are actually ready, if you clear us for take off
0331: TWR: NEGATIVE, traffic in final… now asking it to abort landing …. Evacuate RWY VIA KILO
0329 SLI673: ROGER, we will evacuate via KILO

END