airtraffic

Author Topic: Crazy traffic at SFO  (Read 31426 times)

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
Crazy traffic at SFO
« on: July 08, 2005, 10:59:20 AM »
When listening to towers, SFO stands out as one of the busiest.  The airport has crossing parallels all owned by 1 local controller.

This clip is from decades ago (during the PATCO years), my guess is early 80s right before the strike.  The controller in it is retired now.  He told me once, "a good controller never sounds busy."

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
Re: Crazy traffic at SFO
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 11:18:39 AM »
Quote from: davolijj
When listening to towers, SFO stands out as one of the busiest.  The airport has crossing parallels all owned by 1 local controller.

This clip is from decades ago (during the PATCO years), my guess is early 80s right before the strike.  The controller in it is retired now.  He told me once, "a good controller never sounds busy."

This clip was simply amazing!  "Clipper" - PanAm!  This brought back some amazingly old memories!  8)

Offline thehotshotpilot

sounding professional
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 06:51:28 PM »
This is a really good tower controller at a very busy airport... I have heard a lot worse on alot slower and less busy approaches and c airports... making mistakes.

Offline almkennedy

Crazy traffic at SFO
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 04:22:43 PM »
I absolutely love this clip (and the other SFO one posted). I tried to keep track with pen and paper of the number and names of the aircraft he's dealing with and I just lost track after a few minutes.

One question - sometimes the controller refers to 'bringin it up to the powerpoint": what is the powerpoint? I'm thinking it means "power up with the handbrake on and be ready to go", or is it an actual place on the taxiway somewhere?

thanks,

Offline Acey

Crazy traffic at SFO
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 07:40:00 PM »
The controller is referring to the engines, with the "powerpoint" being take off power or something close to it.  He also sometimes says "spool em up".  The pilot spools up the engines, holds the brakes, and as soon as the traffic landing 28 clears the intersection downfield, they're shooting down the runway.  On this day at SFO it's necessary because the next two arrivals are as close as two miles out for 28L or R.  This is done sometimes anyway to get the necessary power due to a short runway, or if a quick climb is needed as is the case at SNA.

Adrian :D

Offline Jeff Turner

Crazy traffic at SFO
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 11:37:41 PM »
That was a good one... One other one I like is the guy at Kennedy ground... I'll see if I can get that one uploaded.

Offline dmlas

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 12:20:15 PM »
when talking about the [powerpoint] in the tape the controller is talking about a point on the runway at rwy01r at sfo. it is marked by a sign that says do not apply full power till reaching this point because there is an access road that runs behind the approach end of rwy 01r and the planes would blow away the cars behind if they applied full power as soon as they got lined up on rwy01r. so the controller says right up to the power point meaning pull forward to the sign and be ready to go with full power when advised. i know because i was the controller in the tape.

Offline Greg01

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 03:22:38 PM »
Man that is awesome! Welcome!

Greg

Offline dmlas

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 08:27:16 PM »
thank you. i just found out about the tape and how it found its way to the internet! im new at this internet stuff as you can probably tell. anyway its an interesting site and i look forward to hearing and reading more things on this site.        dmlas

Offline Greg01

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 10:00:02 PM »
Cool!

Offline Acey

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 01:24:43 AM »
i know because i was the controller in the tape.
My word sir. You haven't a clue how much I respect your abilites to move airplanes. It is nothing but an honor to listen to these clips and you are by far the best tower controller I have ever heard. Truly an honor.

Offline The Hoffspatcher

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2007, 09:31:47 AM »
Clipper, PSA, TCA?? Holy 80s Batman, thats pretty cool.

Turns out AAL16 and UAL1531, both of whom are on this tape, are still flights using SFO after all these years! Neato.

Offline Tyler Aird

• My fav. type of aircraft in FSX.
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 10:13:13 PM »
this poor controller is up to his neck in communications. this is crazy how many people he is contacting at once.

Offline coreyc29

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 11:12:21 PM »
Hey i was wondering if anyone had more clips of this controller? I would love to hear them

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC

Offline Panop

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 01:51:59 PM »
I hope dmlas went on to teach his skills to others.  It doesn't get done much better.

Offline kinshasaAPP

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2007, 10:11:27 PM »
Just plane (excuse the pun) awesome!  :wink:

nar1224

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2008, 12:19:23 PM »
This guy is absolutely AMAZING! I would have been out of breath within two mins or less!