airtraffic

Author Topic: EI 120 engine failure at KMCO  (Read 42228 times)

Offline heliUD

EI 120 engine failure at KMCO
« on: May 14, 2010, 10:56:37 AM »
Here's the recording of the emergency occured on may 13th to an Air Lingus A332 operating EI120 from Orlando to Dublin.

http://avherald.com/h?article=42b77451&opt=0

I edited everything in one file, unfortunately something from the app frequency is missing due to the shared feed.

This is my first clip, I hope I got it right!  :-D

Paolo

Cap747

Re: EI 120 engine failure at KMCO
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 11:41:58 AM »
They do call this economy flying...  :wink:

Offline rekno13

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 01:02:25 PM »
Very nice edit! Thank you for the post. Great job!

Offline mrhahn

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 06:36:48 AM »
Surprised the controller asked if he was declaring an emergency.. thought the "mayday, mayday, mayday" would be pretty clear! Thanks much for the clip.

Offline Casper87

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 09:37:49 AM »
Yea it's pretty self explanatory , 'Mayday' means the same as 'Declaring an emergency.'
Maybe the controller didn't hear the 'Mayday' and just heard the EIN12G telling him about the engine.

Offline speedotann

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 06:20:24 PM »
Very courteous flight crew giving thanks on behalf of the passengers and crew!

B

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 09:54:02 PM »
As a part 121 flight crew member, it is great to hear examples like this.  We train for this very scenario in every recurrent simlator session.  

One thing that we're trained, which you can hear in this clip, is in an engine failure event, landing right away isn't necessary.  ATC might get a little excited and start clearing you to do everything.  But my company trains us to do exactly what this crew did:  Tell ATC that we've got a problem, tell them what we're gonna do, and tell them to stand-by.  That gets them out of our hair for a couple seconds while we  examine the sitation.  

Flying around single engine isn't something that we need to land right away for.  Take a few minutes, read the checklists, configure the aircraft for single engine flight, and talk over what you're going to do.  In some cases, it is not a good idea to land at the airport you just left.  There may be better options out there (LGA-->JFK/EWR, DCA--->IAD, MDW--->ORD)

Kudos to this crew.  Handled it very safely and professionally

Offline aviator_06

• FSFlightSchool.com - Student Pilot Resources | Aviation Videos
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 11:15:26 PM »
So when you say "may day, may day, may day" does this not mean you declare an emergency?

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 12:28:46 AM »
So when you say "may day, may day, may day" does this not mean you declare an emergency?

Well, we wouldn't declare mayday. That's more of a European thing. When I'm on the radios during an engine loss I'd say "we've got an emergency in progress. We will <insert climb out turns and altitude>. Stand by"  or if they switch us to departure our response would be "we have an emergency in progress. We'll be monitoring departure"

That second option gets the local controller to call the departure controller and give the info for us, allowing us to concentrate on running the immediate checklist actions.

Offline Casper87

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 01:26:12 PM »

Well, we wouldn't declare mayday. That's more of a European thing.

Yes it means the same thing. It's the official ICAO phraseology for 'Distress' messages. So in theory every country that conforms to the ICAO doc. 9432 will recognise 'Mayday' as the official distress term. However, as cessna157 said, saying the word 'emergency' should have the same desired effect.

Casper