Author Topic: ELT (Emergency Locator Transmitter)  (Read 54522 times)

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
ELT (Emergency Locator Transmitter)
« on: June 02, 2005, 02:13:49 PM »
Here is what an ELT (Emergency Locator Transmitter) sounds like...this is the radio transmitter that starts transmitting on 121.5 when a plane crashes.

Offline thehotshotpilot

ELT
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 11:23:09 AM »
Every pilot needs to hear the sound of an ELT since you can only test it the first five minutes of the hour and many pilots have never heard one.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
Re: ELT (Emergency Locator Transmitter)
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 11:52:32 AM »
Quote from: dave
Here is what an ELT (Emergency Locator Transmitter) sounds like...this is the radio transmitter that starts transmitting on 121.5 when a plane crashes.

Just want to clarify one thing Dave.  The ELT is activated upon a crash, but there are other cercumstances as well that can activate it.  A hard landing or impact to a hard surface also triggers the ELT.  It can also be activated manually be the pilot accidentily or for purpose.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 12:09:30 PM »
Quote from: HPNPilot1200
Quote from: dave

Just want to clarify one thing Dave.  The ELT is activated upon a crash, but there are other cercumstances as well that can activate it.  A hard landing or impact to a hard surface also triggers the ELT.  It can also be activated manually be the pilot accidentily or for purpose.

'tis true.  There is a maintenance window (first 5 minutes of each hour) where you will often hear them.

-dave

Offline chief2009

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 05:07:09 PM »
I have been on many searches for these infernal things. I had one where the wings were off of a Cub and it hadn't been flown in years, but somehow the ELT went off. :shock: I also had a guy who did a hard touch and go at night and set it off, we were chasing him over 3 states before he finally landed. :evil:  

Chief

Offline Cessna172

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 01:15:50 AM »
Dave,

Hey, thanks!! :D

Off the topic, but here's a question for you and Jason: I understand that you both are vZBW controllers. I'm a VATSIM pilot myself. Are you app, dep, ctr, etc?? Where exactly? Also, what time do you guys get on the network? I'd like to fly with you!!

Cessna172
Home Airport: West Houston Airport (KIWS)
www.westhoustonairport.com

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 07:28:14 AM »
Quote from: Cessna172
Off the topic, but here's a question for you and Jason: I understand that you both are vZBW controllers. I'm a VATSIM pilot myself. Are you app, dep, ctr, etc??

I am Approach certed and currently working on CTR.  Dave is an instructor with CTR certification and usually works CTR, while I usually am working approach or just recently training on CTR.  Sometimes we like to switch it up though, so if many positions are already staffed, we slide in where there is room (usually a class C TRACON).
Where exactly?

Usually Boston or Bradley.  I'm also visiting at vZNY, so you will see me there in the LGA area.
Also, what time do you guys get on the network? I'd like to fly with you!!

Usually in the evenings.  Some weekdays work well for me, but we both have busy schedules so just check ServInfo and you'll eventually see us on at some point.

Offline Cessna172

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 02:14:05 PM »
Thanks!! I'll look for you!

Cessna172
Home Airport: West Houston Airport (KIWS)
www.westhoustonairport.com

Offline Tomato

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 11:26:58 PM »
Dave - thanks for the clip... that's something I've never heard of before and good to know.

Chief - haha... that's kinda funny!  Doesn't the pilot know if it's been tripped/on?

Quote from: chief2009
I have been on many searches for these infernal things. I had one where the wings were off of a Cub and it hadn't been flown in years, but somehow the ELT went off. :shock: I also had a guy who did a hard touch and go at night and set it off, we were chasing him over 3 states before he finally landed. :evil:  

Chief

Offline chief2009

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 11:33:37 PM »
Quote from: Tomato

Chief - haha... that's kinda funny!  Doesn't the pilot know if it's been tripped/on?

Not unless he's listening on 121.5 Most planes I've benn in/around don't have a light to indicate the ELT going off. Hey, there's an idea, gotta call the FAA. :lol:  Anyway, most planes have remote switches in the cockpit, because if it goes off, you don't want to tear up the rear of the plane. My best find was on Donna Might at Oshkosh when the pilot hit the switch with his parachute buckle while exiting the a/c. Sadly she was lost last year in a crash.

Chief

Offline Tomato

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2006, 12:48:57 AM »
Sorry to hear about the loss.  I would have thought there would have been some indicator to the pilot if the ELT was activated.  It's great to know that the switch is accessible to the pilot, and honestly... I don't mind false alarms - as long as they're good natured/accidents.  If people cry "Wolf" just because they want to then that's a different story!  :)

Offline 6000&Airborne

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2006, 09:33:20 PM »
Ohhhhh, so that's what that noise was on the frequency....   I just thought somebody out there was transmitting their game of Asteriods or Centipede!  

Now I know though.....

Offline leonardoperezsalles

ELT
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2006, 06:19:12 PM »
Remember analog 121.5 beacons will be substituted by digital more precise 406MHZ beacons.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
Re: ELT
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2006, 06:27:24 PM »
Quote from: leonardoperezsalles
Remember analog 121.5 beacons will be substituted by digital more precise 406MHZ beacons.

...which will also (essentially) be a federal mandate (to operate 406 MHz beacons) after Feb. 1, 2009.  That's when COSPAS-SARSAT will cease the monitoring of 121.5/243.0 MHz for ELTs.  Click here for more details

Offline Tomato

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 10:24:13 PM »
It's kinda too bad they'll stop monitoring 121.50... I can see why, but you never know when something will transmit their emergency on 121.5!

Offline cirruspilot

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2006, 12:53:18 AM »
it is a good idea if your in the air to be monitoring 121.5 on comm 2. That way you will know if your ELT is going off or stumble across one that is activated. Most airliners monitor 121.5 because they have the best range at altitude than general aviation.

Offline mtlatc

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2006, 03:54:05 PM »
Note the military uses the same tone on 343.0.

LE

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2006, 04:08:42 PM »
Note the military uses the same tone on 343.0.

LE

Hi LE,

I think you made a minor typo, but I am not sure... As far as I know, the UHF emergency frequency the military uses in 243.0.  Is this correct or is it 343.0?

Regards,
Jason

Offline mtlatc

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2006, 04:11:42 PM »
I think you made a minor typo, but I am not sure... As far as I know, the UHF emergency frequency the military uses in 243.0.  Is this correct or is it 343.0?

That's what I get for posting at 5:00 A.M. you are absolutly correct...343.0 is one of our arrival frequencies here in Korea...

Sorry bout that! Military "Guard" 243.0

LE

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2006, 10:22:42 PM »

That's what I get for posting at 5:00 A.M. you are absolutly correct...343.0 is one of our arrival frequencies here in Korea...

Sorry bout that! Military "Guard" 243.0

LE

No worries, LE.  I do the same thing when I wake up and post.

Jason

Offline flyer_d

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2006, 02:13:48 PM »
it is a good idea if your in the air to be monitoring 121.5 on comm 2. That way you will know if your ELT is going off or stumble across one that is activated. Most airliners monitor 121.5 because they have the best range at altitude than general aviation.

Not only a good idea, but a requirement, if you have a COMM2.

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_4_4386.html

Offline cirruspilot

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2006, 12:29:06 AM »
Well shoot I know a few pilots that tell me they will tune to it every once and a while and I know all of them have a COMM 2 and they dont monitor it while in the air. Thanks for the info! :mrgreen:<just wanted to use that!

Offline Darrell

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2006, 10:41:49 AM »
Where exactly?
Usually Boston or Bradley.  I'm also visiting at vZNY, so you will see me there in the LGA area.
Oh so you are the one that gave me a rough ride into LGA last month :evil:
Sorry couldn't resist, it was just a stormy night at LGA and we had allready sat in Detroit for an hour then circled Ny area a couple of times.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 11:31:28 AM by Jason »

Offline Bigscrb15

Re: ELT
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2006, 08:09:39 PM »
Quote from: leonardoperezsalles

...which will also (essentially) be a federal mandate (to operate 406 MHz beacons) after Feb. 1, 2009.  That's when COSPAS-SARSAT will cease the monitoring of 121.5/243.0 MHz for ELTs.  Click here for more details

I did not know this. I was planning on buying a Breitling Emergency. Im glad I didn't spend $4500 on a watch that will be obsolete in the states in 3 years. Thanks for saving me the money!!!

Offline BerendBotje1

• Atcbox
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2006, 04:56:09 PM »
This N-403HP flight was crossing the border from Germany to the Netherlands with a switched on ELT and he couldn't find the switch to turn it off.  :lol:.
 At one moment he was very close to my home and for two minuts long the ELT was 5-5. At the end he finds the solution and reply's to the controller in Dutch;"I found teh sollution by reading the maual." :-D
If your'e interested you can find the recording at http://home.xmsnet.nl/berendbotje 
22-07-2006 The N-403HP inbound EHHV with a switched on ELT.