Author Topic: FDX705  (Read 17196 times)

Offline Fryy/Avocadoflight

• CalAggieFlyers
FDX705
« on: January 28, 2009, 03:56:26 PM »
Not sure if this has been discussed before here. I just find the story incredible.

"FedEx Flight 705, a McDonnell Douglas DC-10-30, experienced an attempted hijacking for the purpose of a suicide attack on April 7, 1994 by a FedEx employee facing possible dismissal. The hijacker, as an employee, was able to board a scheduled flight with several concealed weapons. Once airborne he intended to kill the crew and then fly the DC-10 into FedEx headquarters. He believed that death while still an employee in addition to the choices of weapons, which were meant to conceal the hijacking, would make his family eligible for a $2.5 million life insurance policy paid by the company he was both employed by and targeted.

The hijacking was unsuccessful, as the crew was able to fight back, despite severe wounds, subdue the attacker, and safely land the aircraft."

You can watch the National Geographic documentary about the incident with commentary from the actual pilots.

The clip is the only ATC audio I could find.

Offline Аэрофлот Jr.

• Facebook
Re: FDX705
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 04:46:20 PM »
Not sure if this has been discussed before here. I just find the story incredible.

"FedEx Flight 705, a McDonnell Douglas DC-10-30, experienced an attempted hijacking for the purpose of a suicide attack on April 7, 1994 by a FedEx employee facing possible dismissal. The hijacker, as an employee, was able to board a scheduled flight with several concealed weapons. Once airborne he intended to kill the crew and then fly the DC-10 into FedEx headquarters. He believed that death while still an employee in addition to the choices of weapons, which were meant to conceal the hijacking, would make his family eligible for a $2.5 million life insurance policy paid by the company he was both employed by and targeted.

The hijacking was unsuccessful, as the crew was able to fight back, despite severe wounds, subdue the attacker, and safely land the aircraft."

You can watch the National Geographic documentary about the incident with commentary from the actual pilots.

I watched this NG documentary over and over   . Very Impressive crews . 

Offline KASWspotter

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 08:48:38 PM »
They did some pretty radical manuevers with that aircraft to try to keep that guy off them. Its sad those guys cant fly anymore due to the injuries they received. Great airmanship.

Offline Аэрофлот Jr.

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 08:52:18 PM »
They did some pretty radical manuevers with that aircraft to try to keep that guy off them. Its sad those guys cant fly anymore due to the injuries they received. Great airmanship.

Sadly no..  They said, "They miss being in cockpit" some where in the documentary ...

Offline ect76

• EGPH
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 03:40:38 PM »
There's a transcript on Jethros http://jethros.eu/fact/pages/FDX705.htm which seems to have more detail than the clip we have. Unfortunately there's no clip, it is just a transcript, but interesting nonetheless.

Offline keith

• KS Flight Log
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 03:30:18 PM »
I had no idea this happened.  Amazing.

There's a book called Hijacked on the subject. I just ordered it, it's supposed to be a very technical account of what happened. The plane got thrown around in some pretty amazing ways (and is still flying today.)

Interview with one of the pilots: Jim Tucker

And the guy who did it all has is own web site, looking for support. Scroll down to the 'facts' section.

Offline aviator_06

• FSFlightSchool.com - Student Pilot Resources | Aviation Videos
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 10:32:36 PM »
Wow, never knew this ever happened. Watched the documentary on YouTube. A def. must see. Sad to hear the pilots were not able to fly again.

Offline KASWspotter

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 09:27:32 AM »
They saved alot of lives on the ground that day.

Offline fholbert

• 160knots.com
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 11:43:02 AM »

WOW!! Knew about this but it was the first time I heard the entire story.

Frank Holbert
http://160knots.com
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 01:30:56 PM by fholbert »

KJET100

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 01:29:43 PM »
Look up some aircraft documentaries on Youtube and you'll be surprised what you'll see. Especially liked is the "Seconds from Disaster" series.