airtraffic

Author Topic: Floating Dog in the Back of an Airplane  (Read 25399 times)

Offline Cessna172

Floating Dog in the Back of an Airplane
« on: March 21, 2006, 03:16:46 PM »
I opened up this video not knowing what would come out of it. Kind of interesting / funny. I love how the guy's headset falls off at the end! Quite a maneuver! Check it out:

Cessna172
Home Airport: West Houston Airport (KIWS)
www.westhoustonairport.com

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 03:38:34 PM »
That video is awesome!! :) He mustve flipped over vertically :)

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 04:27:23 PM »
Quote from: Lezam
That video is awesome!! :) He mustve flipped over vertically :)

Actually, it looks like all he did was pull a negative-G by climbing the airplane and then letting the nose fall rapidly so that they pulled a negative-G dive.  I think if he did a full loop, centrifugal force would have actually pushed the dog and the other objects/humans down in there seat.

Awesome video, though!  I've always gotten a kick out of this one.

Jason

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 08:30:24 PM »
Well, call me the contrarian, but a dog being placed in the backseat of an aircraft unbelted is not only cruel to the animal, but also a real danger to the flight.

I hit clear air turbulence in a Bonanza one time last year and, despite being buckled in, still hit my head on the ceiling of the cockpit.  Fortunately my headset band took the brunt of the impact.  The box of IFR charts was thrown off the copilot seat and spilled all over the floor of the cabin.  I shutter to think what would happen had a dog been with me during that flight.

Offline davys747

• http://www.psychic.co.nz
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 01:19:27 AM »
Quote from: Jason
...centrifugal force...

Ugh. I would really rather you didn't call it the centrigual force Jason :) There is no such force called a centrigual force. It is merely an apparent "force" you feel going around curves.

Offline digger

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 03:04:05 AM »
KSYR-pjr, you contrarian. I agree 100%

Offline Fra

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 09:46:38 AM »
Jason, you are 100% right. Astronauts are trained by this method to learn how to behave in zero gravity environment.

davys747, from all the books and texts I've read, I found that centrifugal force is the force that is created by spinning in a circle (curve).

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 03:17:41 PM »
Quote from: Fra
Jason, you are 100% right. Astronauts are trained by this method to learn how to behave in zero gravity environment.

I believe that is also how they filmed most of Apollo 13 (the movie).  In order to get the weightlessness effect of space, they had to create negative G's.