Author Topic: GPWS Alerts ..  (Read 34487 times)

Offline Аэрофлот Jr.

• Facebook
GPWS Alerts ..
« on: January 27, 2009, 09:15:32 PM »
I made compilation of GPWS Alerts [Not all of em of course] for those of you interested.

Offline cessna157

• facebook
Re: GPWS Alerts ..
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 09:28:33 PM »
Wow, that's quite a collection there.  Just to point out, most, but not all, are GPWS commands.  The other sounds are Boeing noises.  Except for the final autopilot disconnect chirp.  Not sure if that is a Boeing as well. 

You should try to find some eGPWS sounds.  There are quite a few more annunciations with that.  Also TCAS?  I'll try to look through my collection tonight and see what I've got.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 09:38:13 PM »
Concur with cessna (above).

The key aural alerts that EGPWS annunciates on what I fly are:
"Terrain, Terrain, Pull Up"
"Pull up"
"Too low, flaps"
"Too low, gear"
"Too low, terrain"
"Don't sink, don't sink"
"Bank Angle"
"Glideslope"
"Windshear, windshear, windshear"

The other tones and callouts are specific to the autopilot and avionic suite.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 09:42:26 PM by Jason »

Offline Аэрофлот Jr.

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 09:47:20 PM »
Wow, that's quite a collection there.  Just to point out, most, but not all, are GPWS commands.  The other sounds are Boeing noises.  Except for the final autopilot disconnect chirp.  Not sure if that is a Boeing as well. 

You should try to find some eGPWS sounds.  There are quite a few more annunciations with that.  Also TCAS?  I'll try to look through my collection tonight and see what I've got.

Yes, i agree . last warning was Autopilot disengagement warning on Airbus fleets.  Very first one you here with 500' call is autopilot disconnect on some Boeing 747's and other Boeings.

I'm pretty sure i have audio clips of TCAS, EGPWS sounds somewhere on my computer, I'll try to upload them tomorrow =) .

Offline Аэрофлот Jr.

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 09:48:09 PM »
Concur with cessna (above).

The key aural alerts that EGPWS annunciates on what I fly are:
"Terrain, Terrain, Pull Up"
"Pull up"
"Too low, flaps"
"Too low, gear"
"Too low, terrain"
"Don't sink, don't sink"
"Bank Angle"
"Glideslope"
"Windshear, windshear, windshear"

The other tones and callouts are specific to the autopilot and avionic suite.

I'm pretty sure i have those, I'll try to find them on my computer and upload em tomorrow if I have them =)

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 09:50:15 PM »
I'm pretty sure i have those, I'll try to find them on my computer and upload em tomorrow if I have them =)

No worries, I try to avoid making all those sound when I'm in the airplane except for the initial GPWS test on the first flight of the day.  :-)

djmodifyd

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 09:53:14 PM »
nice!

i've heard a E170 go "ding, take off okay" when i cleared a united for take off...is that some sort of gpws thing as well?

Offline Аэрофлот Jr.

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 09:57:17 PM »
nice!

i've heard a E170 go "ding, take off okay" when i cleared a united for take off...is that some sort of gpws thing as well?

i'm sure that is  , I think its especially for Embraer, companies has their own "special" sounds .

Offline Аэрофлот Jr.

• Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 09:59:02 PM »

No worries, I try to avoid making all those sound when I'm in the airplane except for the initial GPWS test on the first flight of the day.  :-)

Hahaha . True, you don't wanna here that much "sounds" when you're flying , at least i hope everyone does not   :-)

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 10:10:44 PM »
nice!

Eh, not really.  Its just another system.  On the CRJ, it is called the Takeoff Configuration Warning system.  CRJ doesn't have an audible callout when everything is good, just a green "TAKEOFF CONFIG O/K" advisory message, which is part of our takeoff checklist.  But oh boy, if you try to takeoff with that message not on (out of configuration) HOLD YOUR EARS!

CRJ Takeoff Config Warning system checks the following:
Parking Break   (off)
Spoilers   (down)
Flaps    (8 or 20)
Autopilot (off)
Aileron trim (within limits)
Rudder trim (within limits)
Elevator trim (within limits)

Offline Аэрофлот Jr.

• Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 10:35:27 PM »
nice!

Eh, not really.  Its just another system.  On the CRJ, it is called the Takeoff Configuration Warning system.  CRJ doesn't have an audible callout when everything is good, just a green "TAKEOFF CONFIG O/K" advisory message, which is part of our takeoff checklist.  But oh boy, if you try to takeoff with that message not on (out of configuration) HOLD YOUR EARS!

CRJ Takeoff Config Warning system checks the following:
Parking Break   (off)
Spoilers   (down)
Flaps    (8 or 20)
Autopilot (off)
Aileron trim (within limits)
Rudder trim (within limits)
Elevator trim (within limits)

Ohh I see. I'm wrongg  sorry .

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 10:43:24 PM »
Okay, here's the crash couse (no pun intended) on the modes of operations of GPWS and eGPWS.  When I know of the differences, I'll try to differentiate between the 2 systems.  Here are the modes, and the aural alerts that each creates (first line is initial warning, if things continue to deteriorate, the system steps up into a 2nd level):

1) Excessive descent rate
"Sink rate"
"Sink rate, whoop whoop pull up"

2) Excessive terrain closure rate (based on radio altitude)
"Terrain terrain"
"Terrain terrain, whoop whoop pull up"

3) Altitude loss after takeoff
"Don't sink"

4) Unsafe terrain clearance
4a (gear not in landing configuration)
"Too low terrain"
"Too low gear"
4b (flaps not in landing configuration)
"Too low terrain"
"Too low flaps"

5) Descent below glideslope
"glideslope" (half volume)
"GLIDESLOPE" (full volume)

6) Callouts
"Minimums minimums"
"50" "40" "30" "20" "10"
"Bank Angle"

7) Windshear detection and recovery
amber <WINDSHEAR> on PFD, stall protection pitch limit indicators and option to go around with escape pitch vectors, no audio
red <WINDSHEAR> on PFD, aural "<siren> WINDSHEAR WINDSHEAR WINDSHEAR", flight provides escape   pitch vectors, stall protection pitch limit indicators

eGPWS enhances (hence the "e") mode 2 terrain warnings with a database of all terrain and obstacles (buildings, towers, bridges, antennae, etc) to build a map on the MFD.  Added audio callouts are "Caution obstacle" "Caution terrain" and "Obstacle obstacle whoop whoop pull up" along with the capability of the MFP to snap to a terrain map at 10 mile scale if terrain or obstacles are in the flight path (30 secs to impact)

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 10:45:51 PM »

Haha, no you were right about it being an Embraer thing, just not GPWS.

The latest jets have so many warning systems, that they have had to build systems to collect and prioritize all of the audio and visual warnings.  The CRJ calls this the "Data Concentrator Unit" of which there are 2.  It's actually a fairly complex system, but that's an incredibly long discussion.

Offline Аэрофлот Jr.

• Facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 10:57:19 PM »

Haha, no you were right about it being an Embraer thing, just not GPWS.

The latest jets have so many warning systems, that they have had to build systems to collect and prioritize all of the audio and visual warnings.  The CRJ calls this the "Data Concentrator Unit" of which there are 2.  It's actually a fairly complex system, but that's an incredibly long discussion.

Oh gotya  , even the name "Data Concentrator Unit"  sounds complex  to me haahh .