airtraffic

Author Topic: Hawaiian B763 - Hilo,HI - PHTO - Jun 30th 2009, engine oil filter indication  (Read 14738 times)

kea001

A Hawaiian Airlines Boeing 767-300, flight HA-1 from Los Angeles,CA to Honolulu,HI (USA) with 237 passengers, was enroute overhead the Pacific at FL350, when an engine oil filter indication activated. The engine was shut down and the airplane drifted down to FL230. The crew decided to divert to Hilo,HI, where the airplane landed safely about 90 minutes later.

from Aviation Herald:
http://www.avherald.com/h?article=41bfc76f&opt=1

Note: Audio of Hilo Approach and Tower, approx. 3 min.
from archive PHTO - Jun 30 2009 - 2100z

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
"HILO — A faulty warning light forced a Hawaiian Airlines jet bound for Honolulu from Los Angeles to make an emergency landing yesterday in Hilo."

"The pilot had been forced to idle down one engine about two hours out from Honolulu after a light came on indicating trouble with an oil filter."

"The indicator was later found to be faulty."

From the article below:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20090701/BREAKING01/90701055/Faulty+indicator+caused+Hawaiian+Air+jet+to+make+emergency+landing+in+Hilo+

Should an oil filter become saturated with contaminants, oil will automatically bypass the filter. The EICAS advisory message "L" or "R OIL FILTER" displays indicating the oil filter is bypassed. This is based on system pressure. Standard procedure is to shut down the engine.

Section 8 of Boeing 767 Systems Review:

"8. OIL SYSTEM
* Quantity in litres displayed on the EICAS.
* Oil sequence :
1) Oil system is pressurized by an oil pump driven by the N2 rotor (press. is sensed after the filter)
2) Oil passes through an oil filter (if filter is contaminated oil will bypass it).
3) Oil goes to the engine for lubrication & cooling then returns to a scavenge pump (also driven by N2 rotor)
4) Temperature is sensed after it leaves the scavenge pump
5) Oil passes through a fuel/oil heat exchanger where it is cooled
6) Oil flows to another bypass filter before returning to the oil tank
A Oil press. below 10 PSI = LOW PRESSURE light
A Filter bypass = L (R) OIL FILTER msg."

http://www.smartcockpit.com/data/pdfs/plane/boeing/B767/instructor/B767_Powerplant.pdf

Of course, in this case, it was just a bad indicator... :roll:

« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 10:19:32 PM by joeyb747 »

Offline mkop

As the crow flies, Los Angeles to Hilo is 2450 miles, and Los Angeles to Honolulu is 2550. After flying almost 2500 miles, could they really not fly an extra 100 miles to go to the right airport instead of the wrong one?

Offline UAramper

As the crow flies, Los Angeles to Hilo is 2450 miles, and Los Angeles to Honolulu is 2550. After flying almost 2500 miles, could they really not fly an extra 100 miles to go to the right airport instead of the wrong one?

On one engine? I doubt they would want to take such a risk. As far as I know, on a two-engine plane if one becomes inop (shutdown, whatever the case) then it is a required immediate landing at the nearest suitable airport.  Convenience doesn't outweigh safety.

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!

The engine was shut down about two hours out.

"The pilot had been forced to idle down one engine about two hours out from Honolulu after a light came on indicating trouble with an oil filter."

Hawaiians' policy is to land at the nearest suitable airport.

""It's standard if you have any engine discrepancy to land at the nearest airport," said Keoni Wagner, vice president of public affairs for Hawaiian Airlines."

Above is from the article I linked to.

Offline otto_pilot

Just so i understand they shut the engine down about 2 hours from Hilo. I'm guessing( did not read the article yet) that Hilo was closer than turning back?

Offline UAramper

Just so i understand they shut the engine down about 2 hours from Hilo. I'm guessing( did not read the article yet) that Hilo was closer than turning back?

Probably.

It's a flight where there is an equal time point (point X). Before point X it's back to some airport (Los Angeles or San Francisco, probably), after point X it's on to the other diversion airport (in this case, Hilo).

Offline aviator_06

• FSFlightSchool.com - Student Pilot Resources | Aviation Videos
I wounder what the passengers thought when they heard the one engine power down.

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!

KLAX-PHNL is a 5hr 35min flight...so "about" two hours out (one article I read on this said 90 mins out) would be much closer to PHTO, PHOG, or PHNL for that matter, then turning back to KLAX. It would have been about 3 1/2 to 4 hours back. The aircraft on the flight was a B767-300, an ETOPS-120 aircraft.

Just some info on ETOPS and LROPS:

Twin engine aircraft that fly over water have to be ETOPS (Extended-range Twin-engine Operational Performance Standards) certified. Now there are different degrees of ETOPS:

From WIKI:

"In 1953, the US Federal Aviation Administration, having recognized piston engine limitations, introduced the "60-minute rule" for 2-engine aircraft. This rule stated that the flight path of twin-engined aircraft should not be farther than 60 minutes of flying time from an adequate airport. This forced these aircraft, on certain routes, to fly a dogleg path to stay within regulations; they were totally excluded from certain routes due to lack of en-route airports. The "60-minute rule" was also called the "60-minute diversion period." The totally excluded area was called the "exclusion zone.""

The 60 minute rule would later become EROPS (extended range operations) until the mid-1980s, then change again to ETOPS.

...here are the degrees...

ETOPS: This means that the aircraft should be able to fly with full load and just one engine for 1 hour on one engine.

ETOPS-75: This means that the aircraft should be able to fly with full load and just one engine for 75 minutes on one engine.

ETOPS-90: This means that the aircraft should be able to fly with full load and just one engine for 90 minutes on one engine.

ETOPS-120: This means that the aircraft should be able to fly with full load and just one engine for 2 hours on one engine.

ETOPS-180: This means that the aircraft should be able to fly with full load and just one engine for 3 hours on one engine.

Airbus A300, A310, A320, A330 and A350 families, and the Boeing 737, 757, 767, 777 and 787 and Tupolev Tu-204 are all ETOPS Certifiable. ETOPS ratings are based on airframe/powerplant reliability.

The FAA gave the first ETOPS rating in May 1985 to TWA for the B767 service between St. Louis and Frankfurt, allowing TWA to fly its aircraft up to 90 minutes away from the nearest airfield: this was later extended to 120 minutes after a federal evaluation of the airline's operating procedures.

Rules governing 3 or 4 engine aircraft (B727, DC-8 DC-10, MD-11, L-1011, B707, B747, A340, A380) are covered under LROPS (Long Range Operational Performance Standards) rules.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 11:09:22 PM by joeyb747 »