airtraffic

Author Topic: Heathrow Approach - Handling the snow closure  (Read 29644 times)

Offline mrhahn

Heathrow Approach - Handling the snow closure
« on: December 18, 2010, 03:36:01 PM »
Some audio of EGLL Approach handling some holding/diverts during today's extreme weather; nothing significant, just thought people might get a kick out of it!

Cheers.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 03:39:03 PM by mrhahn »

Offline snipper_cr

Re: Heathrow Approach - Handling the snow closure
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 05:18:31 PM »
I heard a few people asking for 2 minute legs but then other people asking for "minute" legs. Why would they want minute legs if they knew they would be holding for a long time? I've heard here in the states 10 mile legs approved. I know at faster speeds thats only like 3 minutes, but I would imagine if you are going to be eating snickers, you'd want the longest legs possible as far as passenger comfort.

Offline sunburn

• flickr.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 05:29:26 PM »
Ouch, the Delta diverted to Dublin.
Now that's a diversion!

Offline N243NW

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
I heard a few people asking for 2 minute legs but then other people asking for "minute" legs. Why would they want minute legs if they knew they would be holding for a long time? I've heard here in the states 10 mile legs approved. I know at faster speeds thats only like 3 minutes, but I would imagine if you are going to be eating snickers, you'd want the longest legs possible as far as passenger comfort.

That's a good question.  Another reason pilots ask for longer legs is in order to burn less fuel (less time is spent in a turn, which requires more lift and therefore more thrust to maintain altitude).  There may have been several reasons the pilots would ask for shorter legs, though...the need to burn more fuel, airspace concerns, or wanting to stay in the vicinity of the airport in the event that an emergency occurs or an approach clearance is suddenly issued.

Offline ect76

• EGPH
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 02:31:42 AM »
Excellent clip, thanks!

Do you have any more?
I love hearing a bit of Heathrow!

Offline retro11

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 08:50:41 AM »
if you thought dublin divertion was bad think of the poor folks on board baw boston-heathrow it diverted to keflavick iceland after holding off the west coast of ireland it has been total chaos here in the uk this week end at the end of the day nowhere could take widebody jets

Offline englishpilot

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 09:50:25 PM »
if you thought dublin divertion was bad think of the poor folks on board baw boston-heathrow it diverted to keflavick iceland after holding off the west coast of ireland it has been total chaos here in the uk this week end at the end of the day nowhere could take widebody jets

That's not good.

Offline Casper87

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 01:19:20 PM »
My mates sister was supposed to land at Heathrow from Almaty, but got diverted to EHAM, then went from EHAM to London City....quite a few hours later.

Heathrow's certainly getting some bad press.

Casper

Offline flyflyfly

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 02:29:46 PM »
Great audio! Any more such recordings from today? Seems the situation has worsened at Heathrow.
Heathrow airport officials told passengers ... not to travel to the airport as extreme congestion meant no more passengers were being accepted into the buildings.

They added that no more than a third of all flights would operate until 0600 GMT on Wednesday...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12034317

But while EGLL (and other UK airports) receive heavy bashing for inappropriate winter services, it doesn't really seem to be a UK/aviation specific problem. Airports all over central Europe are in trouble, not to speak of train and road chaos...

Offline retro11

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 05:07:01 PM »
 a follow on from the orginal heathrow atc , a small insight into the massive headache that was moving heathrow traffic that saturday to alternates, on this audio these two baw flights from the US  (baw238 bos-lhr) (baw178 jfk-lhr) reach the west coast of ireland with there final destinations unknown hotel accommation was also a problem along with parking space for widebodys. this clip might be to long for some, but it is more than a atc clip its solving problems not on your feet but in the sky.

Offline Casper87

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 01:52:31 PM »
Interesting clip,

ta

Offline Heading090

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 11:35:06 PM »
Very good! Thanks.

When did you record it?

Offline retro11

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 06:38:22 AM »
the shannon clip was recorded at approx 18:00 utc i was listening live for hours round about that time, there is bound to be further stuff earlier than that as it was mid afternoon uk time, thank you

Offline Heading090

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2010, 04:22:49 PM »
Thanks. I guess it was on 22nd Dec. Correct?

Offline retro11

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2010, 07:44:38 PM »
saturday 18th

Offline JSOwens

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 09:13:55 AM »
great find. would be good to know if anybody else had some recordings of London this day!

Offline wlewis06

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 02:54:54 PM »
Some audio of EGLL Approach handling some holding/diverts during today's extreme weather; nothing significant, just thought people might get a kick out of it!

Cheers.

Nice audio, thanks for posting.  I wasn't traveling over the last couple of weeks (except by car locally) but I really feel for the passengers and crew.  The Delta flight was number 16 in sequence.  And I think the controller said something about a 90 minute delay before the airport reopened.  The controller did a fine job of keeping the pilots informed admist a difficult situation.

Offline lareneg

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 02:29:11 PM »
When Heathrow Approach says that their diversion has been approved, does that mean that the airport has said they'll accepted the aircraft, or does it just mean that they've contacted the adjacent sector to co-ordinate the aircraft in that direction?

Offline Casper87

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 12:49:54 PM »
It generally would mean that they have contacted the Airport Authority and got the nod from them to say that they will accept that particular aircraft. The co-ordination with the other sectors would happens aswell, most likely electronically, with DIV messages being distributed appropriately.

C

Offline Dream747

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2011, 03:25:21 AM »
Does anybody know where I can find more archives on LHR recordings?

Offline becker_11

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2012, 01:57:26 AM »
Hi I've only just registered despite having the app on my phone for ages. How are you listening to EGLR when it isn't covered by LiveATC also is this non coverage temporary or is it always the case? Thanks

Offline becker_11

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 04:30:36 AM »
Okay I have done some reading and it appears Heathrow and other UK airports are offline since approx xmas 2005 due to government regulation. Are you listening via scanner handsets then?