airtraffic

Author Topic: Help locating ATC clips of 1996 AA flight, emergency landing at TPA  (Read 10573 times)

Offline Mber03755

This is a shot in the dark, but about 20 years ago I was on an AA flight from DFW-FLL that ran into severe turbulence over the Gulf of Mexico.  I believe the flight lost one engine for at least a short time.  The pilot declared an emergency and landed at TPA.  I believe I once saw a report on the flight that indicated that a mayday was declared.  I know its 20 years ago, but is there any chance that someone would know how to pull the relevant clips (or any other documentation of the flight for that matter).  Would certainly be interesting to hear what actually was said with ATC, but I have no idea if the recording is long gone or not.

Thanks!

Offline Mber03755

Re: Help locating ATC clips of 1996 AA flight, emergency landing at TPA
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 04:35:08 PM »
Whoops - and I should have said this before, but the incident occurred on 4/29/96.  Thanks.

Offline Mber03755

Re: Help locating ATC clips of 1996 AA flight, emergency landing at TPA
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 03:02:59 PM »
And one final clue!  Here's the link to the ASRS report about the event.  http://www.asias.faa.gov/pls/apex/f?p=100:23:0::NO::AP_BRIEF_RPT_VAR:334493

The narrative is as follows:
APPROX 30-50 MI S OF NEPTA INTXN AT FL290 EXPERIENCED SEVERE TURB WHILE DEVIATING AROUND WX. AUTOPLT DISENGAGED WE GAINED APPROX 200 FT AND LOST 500 FT. WHILE IN TURB L ENG COMPRESSOR STALLED FOR APPROX 20-30 SECONDS. WHEN CLR OF TURB, WHICH LASTED FOR APPROX 30 SECONDS TO 1 MIN, L ENG COMPRESSOR STALL CLRED. WE DECLARED AN EMER BUT DUE TO PRECIPITATION STATIC WE WERE UNABLE TO HEAR ATC. ALL FLT ATTENDANTS WERE SEATED AND HAD BEEN INSTRUCTED TO DO SO APPROX 2-3 MINS BEFORE INCIDENT. PAX HAD BEEN ADVISED BY BOTH MYSELF AND FLT ATTENDANTS TO STAY SEATED WITH THEIR SEAT BELTS ON PRIOR TO INCIDENT. WX RADAR SHOWED NO SIGNIFICANT RETURNS WITHIN 25-30 MI OF ACFT. DIVERTED TO TPA, LANDED UNEVENTFULLY. NO PAX OR CREW INJURED.