Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 29, 2014, 12:09:57 PM
Home Help Login Register      
News: LiveATC.net Flyers Released!  Please click here to download & print a copy and be sure to post at an airport near you!

+  LiveATC Discussion Forums
|-+  Air Traffic Monitoring
| |-+  Aviation Audio Clips (Moderators: dave, RonR)
| | |-+  If you're unfamiliar with an airport, it's not a good idea to fly there.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If you're unfamiliar with an airport, it's not a good idea to fly there.  (Read 21712 times)
martyj19

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 05:18:49 PM »

I don't hear anything in the parts that we have to indicate an airspace bust.  She is after all speaking to Gateway Tower, and this aircraft is based at Falcon Field KFFZ which is only 10 miles away and at one point she asks to return to.  It is highly unlikely that she would be unfamiliar with KIWA.  She obviously scared the tower controller; and there may be parts of the interaction that we don't have, if only because of the way scanners work.  Anyone who is operating out of Class D underlying Class B should have a lot of radio experience, unless she is from out of town and even then, a rental checkout should pick up any deficiency.

To the person who faults the ground controller for being harsh, the ground controller did initially ask if she was familiar with the airport.
ridejumpfly

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 09:13:20 PM »

Some was missing from the clip supplied in the thread. She called inbound over the mall, a vfr reporting point just outside of the "D" and was not answered as it was stepped on. I assume she continued just inside of the delta because the controller asked who is over the mall she replies to him which is the first transmission on the above link.  I feel for her now because she did try to do everything right. Taking a radio call for someone else happens.  Over the mall if you aren't replied to immediately you have to be quick to turn west to remain south of FFZ class d and north of iwa class d. Apparently she didn't do that.  Making her land was extremely excessive and above his pay grade, IMO.   
notaperfectpilot

Student pilot

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 06:34:09 AM »

WOW! man, sounds like a lack of communication between both parties...more so on the controller. It sounds like the controller was a grouch and never wanted to talk to her in the first place much less let alone help her with a misunderstanding. It also seems that she might could have used some more radio training. That still doesn't set aside the snide comments from the tower controller. The ground controller seem a little bit more helpful in giving her taxi instructions aside from the first comment....just my two cents.
ShadowGod

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 10:54:25 PM »

Controller sounds like a jerk. Maybe a bit of misogyny/racism going on here?
phil-s

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 12:54:11 AM »

None of you think language is an issue here?
SoCal Pilot

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2012, 12:38:00 AM »

Interesting...I've heard deviations that were a lot worse than this, if there actually was one. Never heard of anybody being forced to land.

KCRQ #2 Feed
PPL-SEL
N500GS

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 11:39:10 AM »

I'm not sure asking a pilot who was already in over her head to copy a phone number and call the tower on landiing was the best idea. Get her down safely somewhere then give her the bad news.
flyingmedic

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 04:31:32 PM »

She's a little nervous on the frequency... that doesn't make her a bad pilot... it's possible to get your PPL without ever talking to a controller, you know.

It is?

Since when? How do you required towered landings?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
N500GS

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2012, 07:34:30 AM »

FAR 61.109 5 iii requires 3 take off and landings to a full stop at an airport with an operating control tower
bn2av8r

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2012, 08:58:02 PM »

While I agree with what went down here, I will have to add that the controllers at IWA are a bit strange and can fly off the handle at the smallest thing.

Example:

Me - "Gateway ground, (call sign) with information Sierra ready to taxi for a northeast departure"
Ground - "(Callsign), taxi to runway 30L via B, N, do you have information Sierra?'
Me - "Yes Ma'am, we have Sierra"
Ground  (in a condescending tone)- "(Calllsign), you must use your call sign in every communication!!!!!"
Me - Roger, if you would have heard me say I had Sierra in the initial call up we wouldn't be talking about this now, would we?, (call sign)"
ridejumpfly

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2012, 03:54:40 AM »

None of you think language is an issue here?

She actually was much better than many of the international students flying in the Phoenix area. Listen to some archives for "trans flight" ... Some are incredibly difficult to understand.
tucraceman

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 05:40:28 PM »

IWA controllers are dicks.  I once got scolded by a IWA controller because I did not use my full call sign after I did on my initial contact.  Told him he needs to read the AIM.
~D
FlightRisk

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2012, 06:31:12 PM »

IWA controllers are dicks.  I once got scolded by a IWA controller because I did not use my full call sign after I did on my initial contact.  Told him he needs to read the AIM.
~D

did the controller shorten your callsign first?
znurtdog

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2012, 10:49:34 PM »

I'm ex controller and current pilot. this controller is a jack ass.
pilot_ngb

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2012, 01:20:37 AM »

I fly out of KIWA most weekends. I don't have an issue with them. Found them very helpful.
Taxiways at IWA are confusing. Today I flew there without a taxi diagram (due to winds elsewhere). Controllers helped me get around.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length