Author Topic: IFR Clearance Practice  (Read 181136 times)

Offline rbrong

IFR Clearance Practice
« on: March 03, 2008, 08:36:10 PM »
Attached you'll find an audio file of IFR clearances from Reno (KRNO) on March 3, 2008.  I've edited out everything but the IFR clearances so anyone working on an IFR certificate can practice copying down the info.  The file is about 4 MB in size with about 15 minutes worth of audio.

Enjoy and happy copying!

RB

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
Re: IFR Clearance Practice
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 08:56:32 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to do this, RB.  I'm going to go ahead and sticky this thread as I suspect there are many instrument students out there that would like to easily access this file.

Thanks!

Offline rbrong

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 10:20:37 PM »
You're welcome, Jason -

It was pretty easy to do.  I used GoldWave as my audio editor for this and just cut the segments I wanted to keep and pasted them in to a new sound file.  To go through a whole day worth of stuff took about an hour.

I'll do it again from time to time, too.

Cheers -

Richard

Offline KTUS

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 03:32:49 AM »
Here's a good :evil: one that came from the same Kennedy ground audio file as the final Concorde clearance.

Let's see how many of you copy it right the first time. Be honest!

Offline NY Z Pilot

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 01:07:52 PM »
eh, as long as you know the identifiers its easy...im sure air jamaica flies those routes often, its easy for them.

Offline rbrong

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 03:10:17 PM »
...as long as you know the identifiers its easy...

Totally agree with that!  That's why we should study them ahead of time.  Part of that "being familiar with all resources" business.

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 09:10:02 AM »
Here's a good :evil: one that came from the same Kennedy ground audio file as the final Concorde clearance.

Haha, that wasn't a clearance, that sounded like an audible before an NFL play.  I was expecting a "hut hut" at the end of it.

The first part of it is actually a normal route out of JFK.  WAVEY..EMJAY J174 ZIZZI..SBY J209 ORF is a normal alternate route down the east coast. 

Offline Fr. Ross

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 11:28:34 AM »
How do I get the file?  Thanks and God bless.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 12:20:55 PM »
How do I get the file?  Thanks and God bless.

Hello, Father.  Presumably you are referring to the audio clip containing several IFR clearances?  If so, do you see the file link in the first post at the top here (I have screen-grabbed a portion of that post to which I am referring and annotated it here):

That attachment is the MP3 audio clip file.  If you place your mouse over the clip link and right click,  a menu will appear.  Choose "Save Link As" (if your browser is Firefox), "Save Target As" (if your browser is Internet Explorer), and choose a location on your computer (if you use another browser then someone else will have to comment - I don't know the command in those). 

The file will then download to your computer so you can listen to it several times by double-clicking on it (which launches the media player registered to play MP3 files.

Oh, and you have to be logged into this forum with your user ID to see the audio clips.

Offline aviator_06

• FSFlightSchool.com - Student Pilot Resources | Aviation Videos
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 10:46:28 PM »

Wow, that was a tough one. But isn't the pilots suppose have an idea of their route of flight?

Offline moto400ex

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 09:57:22 PM »
Heres another great one.  :lol:

Offline NWA ARJ

• Private Pilot, Control Tower Operator
    • UND Air Traffic Control
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 10:03:14 PM »
There are some complex clearances there. I am glad I dont have to issue clearances like that at work everyday, it would surely make it harder to have CD/FD/GC combined!

Offline A_J_D_C

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 09:32:51 PM »
that slow clearance has been around for a bit in the forum, not sure where its sitting now but there were a fair few replys with what people thought, as in was the controller being a smarty pants by holding up the airways for so long, or was he just making sure the pilots got it right the second time. either way i think it was 50/50 with the responses  :-)

Offline FlyGuyAlex

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 08:44:42 PM »
Full enroute clearence here, try copying this one! :P

Offline Glass-Cockpit.org

• Our G1000 Interface project for MS Flight Simulator
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 07:54:28 PM »
Mega, mega thanks! This is really awesome practice for the IFR pilots and IFR pilots in training! Please, keep 'em coming!

Pete
WWW.Glass-Cockpit.org

http://www.glass-cockpit.org/blog/

Offline SnapRoll

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 05:11:53 PM »
Fella's, much obliged - this stuff is great review for an old hand that hasn't filed IFR in years but tryin to get back at it without looking too much like a fool. These kind of forums are what makes the net such a useful tool. Thanks again - Snappy

Offline flygirltammy

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 10:52:03 PM »
Thanks for this. I like to listen for practice also.

Something I just thought of tonight was maybe copying one of these clearances and then setting up the flight sim on my computer to execute it at least until the 1st fix (assuming I have the charts, of course).

Has anyone tried this?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 11:10:42 PM by flygirltammy »

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 11:19:39 PM »
Something I just thought of tonight was maybe copying one of these clearances and then setting up the flight sim on my computer to execute it at least until the 1st fix (assuming I have the charts, of course).

Yes, I used to do this when I was an instrument student.  It definitely helped. 

If you are not aware, you can browse online all current US IFR charts (both low and high en route) as well as sectional and terminal charts here:   http://skyvector.com

Offline rbrong

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 11:22:58 PM »
This is a great use of the flight sim.  I use Microsoft FSX myself and can't speak for the other sims but you can accurately fly approaches, departures, enroute segments, and just about anything IFR you can think of.  All the IFR plates are available online.  You can get them from the source at this link.  http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tpp.  You can also download them from sources like AOPA.  As for the enroute charts you can usually find an old one that will work fine for practice at your local FBO or from an Instrument rated pilot.  Enjoy!

- RB

Offline flygirltammy

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 11:35:22 PM »
Thanks for the links!! Certainly a big help.

Offline rbrong

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 11:40:13 PM »
I like to come home after an IFR lesson and go practice what we did on the sim to (hopefully) correct errors I have made in the process.  It's also good to go toss in an unfamiliar approach just to test your skills.  Even though it isn't perfect, the G1000 in FSX is a pretty good approximation of the real thing if you fly IFR in glass.

Good luck!

RB

Offline flygirltammy

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 12:00:56 AM »
I like to come home after an IFR lesson and go practice what we did on the sim to (hopefully) correct errors I have made in the process.  It's also good to go toss in an unfamiliar approach just to test your skills.  Even though it isn't perfect, the G1000 in FSX is a pretty good approximation of the real thing if you fly IFR in glass.

Good luck!

RB

Yeah, I had been just fixing the mistakes I made in the lesson. I don't know why it took me so long to think of practicing unfamiliar clearances in this way. I did start IFR training with the G1000, but finances makes me stick to the older panel.

BTW, listening to the feeds I download here on the site helps me get through my otherwise dull but necessary office cubicle job. Thank sooooo much.

Offline rbrong

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2009, 11:23:40 AM »
I'm with you on that one!  Some people listen to music, we listen to ATC.  Go figure! 

Offline keith

• KS Flight Log
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 03:48:56 PM »
Thanks for this. I like to listen for practice also.

Has anyone tried this?

You could do that.  You could also take it to another level entirely and check out VATSIM. It's an online network that allows pilots to interact with virtual ATC (real people, though) in a fairly realistic environment. It's one thing to listen to recorded clearances...it's another thing to read them back over the radio! :)

That network allows you to file, pick up your clearance, fly the route, and interact with ATC the whole time....for free.  I used it during my VFR and IFR training, it was invaluable.  My radio comms are unquestionably better as a result of being involved with the network.  Many of the ppl on this forum are familiar with it (as pilots and/or controllers), too.

There's also something to be said for flying practice approaches online with ATC, rather than offline on the sim.  Try flying into a non-towered field under IMC with a buddy in another plane.  One of you is going to get a hold until the other person is down and/or cancels their flight plan.  Being given a hold that you weren't expecting is very helpful, and not something you can surprise yourself with while flying offline. 

I could go on for hours, but anyone who is pursuing an IFR rating should consider it. You can't beat the price.

Offline flygirltammy

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2009, 07:26:08 PM »
Sometimes ATC IS music for me  :lol: People sometimes walk by and ask me what I'm listening to. Then they usually just say "Oh.", give a puzzled look and walk away. I fully own my aviation geekiness.

VATSIM...wow, thanks Keith. I have honestly never heard of it before. I just signed up.