Author Topic: ILS 16 HKS with Instrument panel / approach plate view with ATC COMS - Video  (Read 15948 times)

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
ILS 16 HKS with Instrument panel / approach plate view with ATC COMS - Video

Hopefully this video will even do better in giving the listeners the pilots point of view on the other side of the scope when you listen to ATC.

I had a safety pilot with me who handled the camera.  My normal camera for out the front was inop due to "user error" (failed to charge the battery) so views are much different then my past videos.

Video includes takeoff wing view, contacting KJAN approach, vectors for the approach, my briefing, and the actual approach from the outer marker to landing.  Safety was not instrument rated so he didn't understand the significance of missed at the middle marker (or lack of in this video) so I edited out from the middle marker to my roundout.

I think KJAN kinda forgot me so I prodded him for my handoff to HKS tower by "reporting BRENZ"

As always comments, good bad or ugly most appreciated here or on the video.

Misspelled February in the beginning, oh well...

Offline fulanito

Thanks for sharing! I'm starting flight training next Monday(I've been waiting for this day my whole life), and it is really inspiring to watch your videos and see how calmly and confident you act behind the controls. Keep the videos coming :)

Alex

Offline fpborges

@Sundowner:  You've spoiled us with the great quality of your vids so handheld does feel like a step back, but otherwise, great vid, as usual.  Thanks!  Don't you just hate it when the glideslope keeps wanting to pop up like that?  Of all the ILS deviations, that's the one that really annoys me, for some reason.

@fulanito:  Good luck next Monday, and congratulations!

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
Thanks for sharing! I'm starting flight training next Monday(I've been waiting for this day my whole life), and it is really inspiring to watch your videos and see how calmly and confident you act behind the controls. Keep the videos coming :)

Alex

VERY, VERY cool Alex.

I will PM you my email address.  I hope you will let me know what your reactions were.  I love "re-living" my own training through the eyes of new pilots and to me it's just as exciting to hear it 10 years later.  Stuff never gets old.  :-D

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
@Sundowner:  You've spoiled us with the great quality of your vids so handheld does feel like a step back, but otherwise, great vid, as usual.  Thanks!  Don't you just hate it when the glideslope keeps wanting to pop up like that?  Of all the ILS deviations, that's the one that really annoys me, for some reason.

@fulanito:  Good luck next Monday, and congratulations!

Thanks Fb for the kind compliments!

It is nice to be able to put a visual to the radio work but on the other hand I can't tell folks how much I have learned by listening to the audio clips uploaded here, so I am trying to pay back what has been given to me here.

Offline takl23

Keep 'em coming! That was awesome to watch!!

Tim

Offline Dave_B

Keep 'em coming! That was awesome to watch!!

Tim

Yeah this is a good way to get a flying fix if you're not out there yourself. Just bring up the old youtube and  kick your feet up and watch sundowner do his thing!

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
Great video! This is a perfect example of how power + pitch = predictable performance. From the video, it looks like 1600 RPM will give you a 500 FPM descent at 90 knots on the glideslope in the Sundowner, in essence a very stabilized approach.

Nice work and thanks for sharing the video.

Best,
Jason