Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2014, 06:57:14 PM
Home Help Login Register      
News: LiveATC.net Flyers Released!  Please click here to download & print a copy and be sure to post at an airport near you!

+  LiveATC Discussion Forums
|-+  Air Traffic Monitoring
| |-+  Aviation Audio Clips (Moderators: dave, RonR)
| | |-+  Jet Blue 504 stranded on tarmac for over 7 hours
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jet Blue 504 stranded on tarmac for over 7 hours  (Read 25431 times)
derekjackson

« on: October 30, 2011, 05:36:12 PM »

A very unfortunate situation for the crew and passengers after their flight was diverted to Bradley Airport due to poor weather in NYC.

Highlights from ground communications are attached. It sounded as if they had a revolt on board that needed to be quelled!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/jetblue-plane-stranded-on-connecticut-tarmac-for-7-hours-no-food-water-or-working-bathrooms/2011/10/30/gIQA8OnGWM_story.html
lrblumenfeld

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 10:25:41 PM »

i was on the plane.  it was not a revolt.  the passengers were calm for over 7 hours.  this was jetblue corporate issue not an issue with the pilot or passengers.  they just forgot about us for almost 8 hours.
derekjackson

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 11:48:49 PM »

Thanks for the clarification. Why do you think the pilot asked for the cops to come on board? (unless I misheard)
B777ER

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 04:08:35 AM »

Typical corporation nowadays., great at putting out flowery press releases full of "customers are our number 1 priority....." and then you see the reality. The JBU captain saying they got no help from their company operations people. Don't know if Capt. Thompson had the forethought to know what he said over the radio would be recorded and therefore able to be rebroadcast in the public spectrum but I am glad he did.
flyflyfly

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 06:10:18 AM »

Excellent find!

Thanks for the clarification. Why do you think the pilot asked for the cops to come on board? (unless I misheard)

Something must have been going on. He later confirmed "they resolved the situation in the back" and "had to show that authorities were on board". After 7,5 hours you could image some people complaining about deprivation of liberty - even when there was no large scale revolt...

My favourite line from the captain: "My priority is a tug and a tow bar. Just give me a welding shop, I'll be welding one myself...grin
forethoughts

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 07:25:32 AM »

No doubt that is the best line of the clip. having been stuck for 2 hours once I can only wonder how it gets when you tell people you can not go to the bathroom
notaperfectpilot

Student pilot

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 12:50:33 PM »

oh boy! I'm sure some people were not too happy-and I don't blame them. The captain was sure ticked at the company! I'd sure wonder how hard he was on the company channel!
notaperfectpilot

Student pilot

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 01:01:43 PM »

well, at least CNN gives credit to LiveATC.net...thanks derek for posting

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/31/travel/jetblue-flight/index.html?hpt=hp_bn12
StuSEL

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 03:51:41 PM »

WrongWayMike,

Don't let the behavior of one company let you characterize the nature of the American system as a whole. This is the greatest country in the world. And be mindful that JetBlue just violated a rule that they initially caused to be created in the first place. They won't be around much longer if they keep that up, and that is the beauty of the system in which we live. Passengers will not fly JetBlue if they fear an ordeal like that.

CFI ASEL
FAA AT-CTI
Feed maintainer for LAF and FNT
derekjackson

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 05:42:36 PM »

well, at least CNN gives credit to LiveATC.net...thanks derek for posting

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/31/travel/jetblue-flight/index.html?hpt=hp_bn12

Wow, it looks like every news outlet has picked up this recording! I'm very glad they are giving credit to liveatc.net
notaperfectpilot

Student pilot

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 05:50:53 PM »

where else could they get it from? lol
RidersOnTheStorm

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 06:42:17 PM »

grin evil...

My favourite line from the captain: "My priority is a tug and a tow bar. Just give me a welding shop, I'll be welding one myself...grin
[/quote]

Fair play to the pilot in staying so cool after all that time stranded 7.5 hours!!!!
cageordie

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 06:54:21 PM »

So, speculation is this could cost JB $5.5M. If that comes to pass they'd have been better off declaring an emergency and dumping the slides.
phil-s

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 07:15:05 PM »

Derek - Great job posting this.

Question: Maybe I just missed this but ....

Is the whole audio one freq (ground control?) in chronological order with just deadspace or non-relevant edited out? I ask because, as the audio is now, the captain first asked (demanded?) that law enforcement (trooper) not be put on board. Then later he says that LE was on board and had the situation "defused" (though obviously still explosive).

Thanks.

derekjackson

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 07:17:17 PM »

Tons of dead space and non-flight 405 material was cut out. In all, over an hour's worth of audio was compressed into this clip.

EDIT: The elapsed time between when the captain requested no LE be brought on board and the decision to request it was about 15 minutes.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 07:20:16 PM by derekjackson » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length