airtraffic

Author Topic: JetBlue 94 on Jan 25th at 1:25 PM at HPN  (Read 13237 times)

Offline Close@Hand

JetBlue 94 on Jan 25th at 1:25 PM at HPN
« on: January 30, 2015, 10:33:31 PM »
According to this and other articles JetBlue 94 from Orlando to Westchester had a "near miss" on Jan 25th around 1:25 Eastern.

And I quote "Air traffic controllers told the JetBlue pilot about a general aviation aircraft flying under visual flight rules about two miles southwest of the flight"

I listened to some HPN archives but did not hear it. Am I looking in the right place?

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: JetBlue 94 on Jan 25th at 1:25 PM at HPN
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 11:03:56 PM »
Here it is.  It occurred on 120.8 (HAARP Sector) - which handles arrivals into HPN when things aren't split in that sector.

757-rules

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 06:03:51 AM »
Am I right when I heard the Jetblue had the VFR traffic in sight, they were cleared to descent to 3000 feet and the VFR was at 2900 feet, later on they said they respoded to the RA TCAS warning ???

Second question:

Can we learn a lesson here that things became too bussy for the controller because she was stepping on transmissions pushing/pulling the PTT switch too fast?
An accident never comes alone is a saying, so I thought when you notice stepping on transmissions can lead to this near deal?
Who can explain some more?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 06:21:27 AM by Jetblast1 »

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 08:46:11 AM »
Am I right when I heard the Jetblue had the VFR traffic in sight, they were cleared to descent to 3000 feet and the VFR was at 2900 feet, later on they said they respoded to the RA TCAS warning ???

Second question:

Can we learn a lesson here that things became too bussy for the controller because she was stepping on transmissions pushing/pulling the PTT switch too fast?
An accident never comes alone is a saying, so I thought when you notice stepping on transmissions can lead to this near deal?
Who can explain some more?

Without the radar tracks to go along with the radio recording it's not possible to fully analyze this scenario.  There was a lot of radio traffic and a lot of traffic, and I'm not sure it's clear which of the targets caused the RA.

As far as the heterodyne you heard (the squealing sound where multiple keyups were going on) this obviously can happen on a busy frequency.  The controller was not "stepping on transmissions" with the intention of cutting pilots out.  But you have to understand that the controller's job is to, first and foremost, separate aircraft.  A secondary task, and not unimportant, is to control that frequency.  The controller needs to prioritize transmissions and communication on that frequency to aid in succeeding at goal #1 - to separate traffic.

It was simply a very busy time period in a normally busy sector.

757-rules

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 12:56:32 PM »
Ah, I understand... I'm not familliar with the sector, but it seemed to me the controller was building up this mishap by stepping on.... it just seemed to me hearing such the first time....
Now I understand a lot more, if the sector is usually that bussy then this mishap is in a small corner.....

Thanks Dave

Offline airkiwi

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 07:45:12 PM »
That's about as busy as a controller can sound. As mentioned, without a radar display it's hard to gauge, but she's already on her next transmission when a pilot un-keys.

Offline rolfe_tessem

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 08:29:48 PM »
Welcome to New York! That's pretty normal on a busy frequency.

Offline Close@Hand

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 07:57:12 PM »
Here it is.  It occurred on 120.8 (HAARP Sector) - which handles arrivals into HPN when things aren't split in that sector.
I take it that's not edited to remove dead air, right? It's real time?