airtraffic

Author Topic: JFK tower getting mad  (Read 85416 times)

Offline tremendous

JFK tower getting mad
« on: July 24, 2006, 05:43:09 AM »
anybody catch the JFK tower, about 15 minutes ago, getting seriously pi**ed off with (i think) Avianca 020?

Appears he couldn't get to his stand and the tower completely lost it. when the pilot said that was 'all for now' the tower didn't think it was funny....

looking forward to the archive of that popping up...

Offline Pygmie

Re: JFK tower getting mad
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 07:06:28 PM »
I think this is what you're talking about.  Got angry with a couple of aircraft right after one another.

I edited it down a bit, to remove dead air, but it's still fairly long (~4min.)  The controller really starts to get angry around the 2:50 mark, but all the stuff in front of that gives a bit of a perspective so I left it in. . .

Hope this is what you're looking for!

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 07:29:03 PM »
AUGHHHHH!  :-o

Offline Greeney

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 07:29:16 PM »
Thats quite intense! :mrgreen:

Offline SadWinter

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 02:45:18 AM »
Poor colombian guy...U know where is from the other pilot? I didnĀ“t get te callsign....

Offline PIT

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 03:19:20 AM »
"youre killing me"  :evil: :lol: i dont listen to JFK much but tha guy kinda seemed like an ***hole (JFK Ground). I know he has more inportant thing s to do but, do you gotta me so mean.  :? anyways i loved it I thought it was FUNNY!

Offline tremendous

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 06:15:54 AM »
yep, that's the one. i wasn't paying a lot of attention yesterday and didn't realise he was arguing with two guys. pretty funny.

thanks for finding it and editing it!

d.

Offline Lincolnshireblue

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 05:28:45 PM »
May be wrong but it sounded like Finn Cargo

ATC sounds like a cardiac arrest waiting to happen, bet he has high blood pressure!

Jackie

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 05:42:33 PM »
Good clip.  This controller has a starring role in other clips in this forum.  He is fast becoming the "anti-John" of JFK.

(John is a very talented and funny Boston controller who has a few humorous clips here.)

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 06:03:39 PM »
Good clip.  This controller has a starring role in other clips in this forum.  He is fast becoming the "anti-John" of JFK.

(John is a very talented and funny Boston controller who has a few humorous clips here.)

Actually thats a different guy than (what sounds like a guy named) Dan. Which is the guy we always hear come up.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 06:28:34 PM »
Actually thats a different guy than (what sounds like a guy named) Dan. Which is the guy we always hear come up.

Really?  He sounded to me just like the controller who yelled, "Just stop right there," from a previous JFK ground clip.   

Now I admit to being from NY, but not to having those Brooklyn accents down cold.  :)

Offline Pygmie

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 07:34:18 PM »
May be wrong but it sounded like Finn Cargo . . .

Jackie

Callsign is Sing-Cargo, short for Singapore Airlines Cargo (SQC).

Offline Buffy

AAL 134 engine failure
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 02:32:32 PM »
Would you experts let me know which archived feed would be most likely to have captured the AAL134 failed engine emergency.  I did track its landing time at JFK to 0512Eastern time, but so far, I haven't found any audio.

Thanks!

Buffy

Offline Tomato

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 12:24:48 AM »
Wow... it sure sounds like he's had a long night.  I love the part where the controller says "You've switched frequencies but you've been talking to the same guy all night..."   :mrgreen:

Offline awacs4321

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 12:52:42 PM »
Pilot did nothing wrong. That controller should be the one that lost his temper.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 12:56:46 PM »
Pilot did nothing wrong. That controller should be the one that lost his temper.

Not sure of your point here.  The controller was the one who lost his temper.   

Offline mrpoche

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 07:09:32 PM »
Actually its not tower but Ground who lost his temper.  I hope he has been criticised for that.

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 08:27:44 PM »
Actually its not tower but Ground who lost his temper.  I hope he has been criticised for that.

It was late a night, all positions were combined... Same guy working everything. Hence why he said "You changed frequencies, but you've been talking to the same guy all night"

Offline valo_j

• PVG Tower
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2006, 12:23:02 AM »
It was late a night, all positions were combined... Same guy working everything. Hence why he said "You changed frequencies, but you've been talking to the same guy all night"

"all positions were combined"
Sure ,in the night..
But why not to combine all the frequency into  one only?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 12:25:51 AM by valo_j »

Offline frantzy

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2006, 01:02:34 AM »

"all positions were combined"
Sure ,in the night..
But why not to combine all the frequency into  one only?

Because they're printed on the charts.   Tower xxx.xx, Ground yyy.yy, and so forth

Offline The Hoffspatcher

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2006, 01:58:03 AM »
Thats not bad for a laugh, poor pilot on the recieving end

As a side note, during the night, many airpots combine thier frequencies, e.g. MSY/IAD etc but they put a NOTAM in the ATIS such as "USE XXX.XX FOR DEL/GND/TWR"

Offline chashulme

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2006, 04:40:23 PM »
Hmmm, don't know how many pilots and/or ctrls are in this thread, but as a pilot I feel compelled to stick up for the ctrlr. He was operating in combined position with a Singapore Cargo pilot who couldn't seem to confirm a simple taxi and route clnc. Add the accent/lang issue, plus a tired ctrlr, and the result is a demonstration that we are all human. The NYC corridor is the most demanding for all in the system, bar none, esp controllers. It demands that all involved fit into the flow, which is what the pilot was not doing... Their was no major beef with Avianca 20, just a rollout clnc clarification after the altercation with SingCargo. I'm afraid the peppering of repetitive questions was like Chinese water torture to the ctrlr (pun intended)... And I should also point out that this is mild in the overall scheme of things, for NY. So, I wouldn't crucify the ctrlr here... I think it's better to exchange a few frank words than get a clnc wrong and have a bad outcome... All pilots who've been thru NY know it's tough... Just my two cents...

Offline KMSY

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2006, 07:29:54 PM »
I know at MSY twr/gnd/del and app/dep from/into MSY are combined on the tower frequency 119.5 after about 2000. Traffic here is almost half what it was before the storm (As of 7/13: 107 from 166 daily departures-64% before storm). It works pretty well. I haven't had a chance to listen to ATIS late at night, but tonight I will and see what they say.

How would one guy control, say 3 freqs? How would you get three transmit buttons to one person? I don't see how that's possible.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 07:34:35 PM by KMSY »

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2006, 08:10:05 PM »
One doesn't have three - five push to talk buttons. It's all routed via landlines/telephone lines to the transmitters. In order to transmit on other frequencies. All that is done is that several buttons on these touchscreen monitors are engaged so that it makes the all the transmitters that you want in full duplex start operating from the same unit in which your plugged into.

Enhanced Terminal Voice Switch (ETVS) - Associated with STARS builds

Rapid Deployment Voice Switch (RDVS) - Associated with ACD (ARTS Color Display) builds

Down below on the desk in front of her you can see the Voice Switching and Control System (VSCS) - Associated with DSR builds - ARTCC's. You can actually see she is transmitting and recieving on three frequencies (They are illuminated green on the screen)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 08:14:04 PM by PHL Approach »

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2006, 09:17:34 PM »
Thanks Ed for the nice summary of the voice switching system in use at most FAA facilities.  Nice job, and by the way, all of those systems are used to access not only Air-to-Ground (A/G) channels, but Ground to Ground (G/G) land-lines as well.  And don't forget many older towers (especially non-federal ones) use a more dated ICSS, or Integrated Communication selection system.