Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2014, 09:17:38 PM
Home Help Login Register      
News: NEW Follow LiveATC updates on Twitter and Facebook

+  LiveATC Discussion Forums
|-+  Air Traffic Monitoring
| |-+  Aviation Audio Clips (Moderators: dave, RonR)
| | |-+  Contact approach vs. Visual approach
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Contact approach vs. Visual approach  (Read 18268 times)
fholbert

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 07:52:40 PM »

in the .65 it says the controller shall issue alternate instructions with a contact approach if the weather conditions are such that a contact approach may be impractical...

The pilot is 4000 feet below MVA with mountains ahead and to the left. To the right there are high antenna towers. Every thing is within 3 miles. The pilot just lost contact with the ground. He is below your radar coverage.

What alternate instructions do you issue where you can assure a safe assent?

A: The published missed approach for the GPS approach.
B: Nothing because you'll be responsible.
C: Ask for relief.
D: Now you know why the old timers say; "We don't do those here."

Frank Holbert
http://160knots.com

Frank Holbert
mk

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 11:00:40 AM »

ouch...i dunno but i bet the faa would fry your ass no matter what! haha
w0x0f

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 08:24:51 AM »

in the .65 it says the controller shall issue alternate instructions with a contact approach if the weather conditions are such that a contact approach may be impractical...

and cessna you are correct, i was just going by what i had been told from an elder controller as far as the weather conditions must be vfr to clear and A/C for a visual, but there is no WX minimum to clear for a visual approach, just need 3 miles and 500ft above the MVA to VECTOR an a/c for a visual approach.

You should listen to your elders and read 7-4-3 b again.

w0x0f
mk

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 11:34:55 AM »

well what do ya know, i was 90% sure that was in there somewhere but i guess i read over that yesterday when i was looking that up refering to what cessna had said about being cleared when less than VFR.  I knew that i didn't do it unless tower was reporting VFR.  Thanks w0x0f for catching that...i would have been reading that whole section again and again to figure where that VFR part was...gracias
w0x0f

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 12:35:28 PM »

well what do ya know, i was 90% sure that was in there somewhere but i guess i read over that yesterday when i was looking that up refering to what cessna had said about being cleared when less than VFR.  I knew that i didn't do it unless tower was reporting VFR.  Thanks w0x0f for catching that...i would have been reading that whole section again and again to figure where that VFR part was...gracias

Your welcome, MK.  FAA has a strange way of hiding stuff all over the place.  Sometimes you really have to piece it together.  They are making it even more difficult with all of the "Best Practices" BS.  They are changing the rules every month now and making it harder to reference the information.  Hopefully the out of control storm troopers at AOV will be the first to feel the surgeons knife in the coming months of a new FAA.
aviator_06

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 06:20:14 PM »

Blame it on the Canadians lol

kea001
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 07:45:51 PM »

The pilot is 4000 feet below MVA with mountains ahead and to the left. To the right there are high antenna towers. Every thing is within 3 miles. The pilot just lost contact with the ground. He is below your radar coverage.

What alternate instructions do you issue where you can assure a safe assent?

A: The published missed approach for the GPS approach.
B: Nothing because you'll be responsible.
C: Ask for relief.
D: Now you know why the old timers say; "We don't do those here."

Frank Holbert

What do you mean an African or a European swallow?

« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 01:21:10 PM by kea001 » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length