airtraffic

Author Topic: King Air forced landing short of 16 at KPWK  (Read 38781 times)

Offline neillaferty

King Air forced landing short of 16 at KPWK
« on: June 26, 2013, 12:07:32 PM »
"Damn..."

Offline mielsonwheals

Re: King Air forced landing short of 16 at KPWK
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 04:17:15 PM »
Here's some pictures.

Offline neillaferty

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 05:39:42 PM »
Wow... thanks!

Offline InterpreDemon

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 12:23:01 PM »
Translation: "Kinger juliet romeo I ain't gonna make it", "damn!" and "puttin it on the road"

Offline neillaferty

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 12:57:07 PM »
It almost seems as if the local controller couldn't understand the thick southern accent.  Pure speculation there, of course.  I'm from Kentucky so I speak the language, ha.

Offline Robert Larson

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 06:13:28 PM »
that's was some pretty bad comm, no? He couldn't remember to throw a clear MAYDAY in there somewhere. Or Declaring Emergency. Or "I'm making an off-field landing."

I guess you never know how you'll react in that moment, so I don't want to be too critical. I just hope I'll do it better when it happens to me.

Offline InterpreDemon

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 06:22:12 PM »
What is odd is that there was no prior indication of a problem before "Ianitgonnamakeit". No request for expedited landing, etc. My money is on fuel exhaustion, and the macho pilot didn't want to have to admit poor flight planning. Throughout my entire flying years I never once violated my personal rule to never burn a drop of my last hour of fuel, and it amazes me how often folks are willing to test their last minutes of fuel.

Offline martyj19

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
Someone on another forum picked up that the undamaged wing has flaps retracted.  An odd condition for half mile final.

Offline Robert Larson

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 10:37:14 PM »
engine out landing procedure is to leave flaps up until the field is made. He was probably trying to stretch his glide. You don't want to add drag when you're out of gas.

Offline svoynick

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 07:07:22 AM »
Man, when I saw that "Juliet Romeo" tail number on a fancy corporate aircraft, I had to wonder... it reminded me of the Jack Roush thing at Oshkosh...
(http://www.liveatc.net/forums/atcaviation-audio-clips/kosh-atc-audio-of-n6jr-incident/)

that's was some pretty bad comm, no? He couldn't remember to throw a clear MAYDAY in there somewhere. Or Declaring Emergency. Or "I'm making an off-field landing."

I guess you never know how you'll react in that moment, so I don't want to be too critical. I just hope I'll do it better when it happens to me.

On one hand, I agree with you.  He sure sounded target-locked on the comms, just blurting out the same phrase several times.

But on the other hand:  Aviate, Navigate, and then Communicate, in that order.  If you are in a high-pressure emergency situation, and you've only got the brain processing power to do 2 of the 3, then I would argue that he did the right 2.  It appears that he kept his aircraft flying, and navigated to a reasonably favorable stopping spot, all things considered.  He didn't injure anyone other than himself, and it doesn't look like he damaged anything significant other than his aircraft (all due respect to that poor tree...)

So many of these types of incidents end up in stall/spin/serious injury/death, often due to a loss of focus on FLY then NAVIGATE.  The kid in the Cessna who killed everyone aboard just recently (http://www.liveatc.net/forums/atcaviation-audio-clips/n9926q-fatal-crash-at-ptk-6222013/); the Jack Roush one that I alluded to above, and how many others...  This guy - for whatever else he might have done wrong - managed to keep it flying and brought it to a stop upright, on the ground, and not through a wall into someone's living room. 

Offline Robert Larson

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 02:13:40 PM »
totally agree. If nothing else my instructor burned into my brain "fly it into the trees". The point being: keep flying, fly it all the way down to the surface, whether that be tree tops, house tops, or a soft grassy field. Don't stop flying. You stall it, well, survivability goes down in a hurry.