Author Topic: KWHP: Grumman560, Please!...for the love of...turn Crosswind!  (Read 11851 times)

Offline uplink

• PPL ASEL, SOCAL AREA
    • SOCAL TRACON/VAN NUYS APPROACH
KWHP: Grumman560, Please!...for the love of...turn Crosswind!
« on: February 01, 2010, 04:59:34 AM »
Today was a nice hole on the otherwise lousy weather in SoCal lately, Whiteman is getting more nuts with all the prop traffic getting priced out of Van Nuys.  This guy can be fun to listen to, I am told he is a retired FAA, pilot, and A&P mechanic, now contract controller at WHP.   I added the Santa Clarita practice freq as you can hear the Citabria/Decathalons commenting on their way back to Santa Paula/SZP afterwards. :-D

Offline fpborges

Re: KWHP: Grumman560, Please!...for the love of...turn Crosswind!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 06:09:55 AM »
Great clip, thanks!

Offline CostelloMC

• Speed and Angels
    • VNSAWC
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 10:41:08 PM »
I fly out of WHP, and from what I've heard this guy is retired USMC controller. Not 100% sure on that though.

KHAOS

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 06:17:39 AM »
Haha, nice clip! 

Man, you can definitely tell that controller was certainly earning his pay - he was a busy, busy man!

Offline uplink

• PPL ASEL, SOCAL AREA
    • SOCAL TRACON/VAN NUYS APPROACH
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 03:11:47 AM »
I fly out of WHP, and from what I've heard this guy is retired USMC controller. Not 100% sure on that though.

I fly out of WHP to, my co-worker is gracious enough to host this feed from his house.   There are only 3 guys working that tower, and he can get pretty stressed.  At the same time I have heard him go out of his way to direct pilots who say they are new to the area and can't find the airport.

Offline speedotann

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 02:47:46 PM »
Definite retired military. He said "High wing slow movers"!!

B

Offline fholbert

• 160knots.com
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 08:40:49 PM »
Sounds like the Controller screwed up to me. He told the guy he'd call his crosswind turn then never did. The pilot called back twice and ATC ignored the call. All the sudden it was the pilots fault he was going into Burbank's (?) class D?

Finally the N560 calls downwind and ATC tells him to extend downwind, I'll call your base. Pilots response should have been: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!

Offline speedotann

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 02:12:14 PM »
Sounds like the Controller screwed up to me. He told the guy he'd call his crosswind turn then never did. The pilot called back twice and ATC ignored the call. All the sudden it was the pilots fault he was going into Burbank's (?) class D?

Finally the N560 calls downwind and ATC tells him to extend downwind, I'll call your base. Pilots response should have been: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!

Even if the controller says he will doesnt mean he will.... Pilots cannot depend on controllers 100%. The controller also told him twice to turn. The pilot may have been disoriented and thought he was in his crosswind.