airtraffic

Author Topic: MD-80 Decompresses departing KSEA  (Read 23276 times)

Offline Biff

• Biff's Hangar
MD-80 Decompresses departing KSEA
« on: December 28, 2005, 09:43:28 PM »
Anyone know what time this happened?  An MD-80 bound for Burbank had a one foot wide hole open up in the fuselage and lost cabin pressure at 26k.  I'm assuming it will be in the archives here.

Offline Scrapper

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 12:54:49 AM »
I think the story says just after 4pm local so 7pm eastern or midnight zulu... I'm going to listen to the archive (cause I'm a closet insomniac) and I'll write back if I find it...)

Offline Scrapper

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 10:27:56 AM »
Having the complete inability to sleep before 2 or even 3 am when on vacation, I listened to seattle and you can hear him leave the airport on the 1900 eastern time clip (around 1905 he's cleared to takeoff... but that's an estimate...)

and then you hear him for a while when he's under departure control and then you lose him obviously when he's handed to seattle centre (hint hint... someone should add a seattle centre feed... hehe...) and then by the time he's back with seattle's TRACON (on the next clip 1930-2000), there's no mention of the emergency other than guiding him back to seattle and the usual administrative stuff (how many souls on board and fuel remaining, etc.) at least that's all I remember... I didn't catch the landing and subsequent stuff because... well... I fell asleep..... :oops:

Offline Biff

• Biff's Hangar
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 11:37:26 AM »
Wow, thanks for that research, Scrapper.  Yea, I imagine the more exciting bits would have been while he was with Center.  I bet the CVR would be even more interesting.  :)

Offline Tom56

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 11:50:14 AM »
Apparently the hole was caused by the baggage conveyor and the idiots running it knew they put a hole in the aircraft. They could have killed a whole lot of people.  :roll:

Offline Scrapper

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 03:21:17 PM »
yeah i think what they said happened was that they were aware that they touched the plane but never reported it to anyone assuming that it wasn't a substantial enough touch to cause any damage... i didn't realize that they certified luggage handler cart drivers to make those kinds of assessments on the fatigue and damage levels of aircraft fuselages!  :wink: hehe... so they got suspended and the other employees all had to be subjected to a safety brief on the importance of reporting all incidents and how it can affect normal every day people's lives!

Offline Jolly009

• http://firehouse.com
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 03:54:35 PM »
Ok THis is all I can find so far.....  Condensed as alot of dead air in Seattle that day.  A SHORT SHORT clip, From Take off to Hand off to Center.  I am off to work, while at WOrk I am recording THe flip side (the landing) to edit to post for you all.  And to give it the completion.---And I love how Alaska Filed a "Hit and Run" Report with the Port of Seattle.  Is that a Misdemeanor or a Felony with the opposing end being over 10 Million?

Offline Scrapper

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 05:46:42 PM »
that was my absolute favourite part! filing a hit and run report... din't know that was even an option but I guess it makes sense for insurance reasons... didn't know that everyday road rules applied on the apron mind you... hehe... considering people could've easily died from this hit and run, I would recommend the driver of the vehicle get a very good lawyer.....

Offline cpumodem

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 02:03:04 AM »
This file that I just completed editing should be better.

Offline Jolly009

• http://firehouse.com
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 03:45:03 AM »
THanx CPU Modem....