Author Topic: MEP 210 Emergency at Logan  (Read 32043 times)

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
MEP 210 Emergency at Logan
« on: December 20, 2005, 10:46:50 PM »
About 5:30 duration...just the highlights.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 07:47:06 AM »
Thanks JD.

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 08:48:30 AM »
Quote from: dave
Thanks JD.

:D I love doing projects like that...thanks for the heads-up on Audacity.

Offline n57flyguy

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 09:52:08 AM »
Thanks alot! Whats with all the recent gear problems since the Jet Blue landing?

Offline ChristopherT

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 11:04:52 AM »
Quote from: n57flyguy
Thanks alot! Whats with all the recent gear problems since the Jet Blue landing?

Thanks, JD!  There's a small jet that's having landing gear issues getting
ready for a landing at St. Louis as I type this!  Hope their trip ends as
well as Midwest's did.

Christopher

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 04:45:46 PM »
It was getting late last night, so.... Thanks, JD!  I appreciate you taking your time to cut/splice the audio together.

Audacity is a wonderful audio editor.  I've used it for a while now, so holler if you have any questions (although it is very user friendly).

Hope all is well in BVI,

Jason

I believe this is pure coincidence.  The media after the JBU landing really made every future occurance of a gear-like problem look disastrous.  What people don't realize is that gear and hydrolyic problems didn't just start occuring after  the "Jet Blue Landing."  These types of problems have been happening ever since airplanes (and powered lift) were built/discovered and always will (well, I hope not), but they just aren't everyday occurances.

Offline r0bCDW

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 05:09:28 PM »
is this the lear jet from today?  I saw a FX N-Number on TV so I assumed it was Flex Jets

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 09:29:52 PM »
Quote from: r0bCDW
is this the lear jet from today?  I saw a FX N-Number on TV so I assumed it was Flex Jets

This clip is from the Midwest B717 on Wednesday.

Offline n57flyguy

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 09:51:31 AM »
Yeah I know, I heard of retractable Cessnas that jam and the plane would fly low and a person on a truck would unjam it while driving the same speed but I know its always been happening but its just a coincidence that in the past three months there has been the jet blue, the Nike Gulfstream V, The Air India 747, then The Midwest. Just a thought.

Offline JALTO

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 10:27:56 AM »
Yeah I know, I heard of retractable Cessnas that jam and the plane would fly low and a person on a truck would unjam it while driving the same speed but I know its always been happening but its just a coincidence that in the past three months there has been the jet blue, the Nike Gulfstream V, The Air India 747, then The Midwest. Just a thought.

Unjamming a landing gear via truck on the ground...sounds a little 'out there' but a good read ...could you provide a link or was this just water cooler talk.

-J

...and thanks for the audio clip Dave

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 10:54:24 AM »
Quote from: JALTO

Unjamming a landing gear via truck on the ground...sounds a little 'out there' but a good read ...could you provide a link or was this just water cooler talk.

-J

...and thanks for the audio clip Dave

It's been done and I've seen videos of it on the internet, but I wouldn't recommend it as a remedy.  You have more of a chance killing yourself and the guy(s) in the truck than if you were to just land the plane gear up.  Once you have an emergency, you and your pax safety/people on ground's safety should be your first priority, not saving the plane (although the latter is quite a hard thing to do).

Offline Biff

• Biff's Hangar
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 11:48:13 AM »
I know of three incidents like this.

The first was in St. Augustine, FL on March 12, 1985.   I was living there at the time but I can't remember the details of the aircraft type; a Piper I think.  The car was a BMW (if memory serves) with a sunroof.  A pax in the car pulled the gear down by hand.  It made an episide of Rescue 911 (remember that show?  with Capt Kirk hosting).

The second one I know of happened in NE, in July of this year.  A 210 with a stuck gear, and a guy with more balls than brains in the back of a pickup used a stick to poke the gear down.
Link: http://www.mccookgazette.com/story/1109870.html.

The third I know of also happened in New Smyrna Beach, FL in September of this year.  This time a 172 RG and a jeep.
Link & video:  http://www.wftv.com/irresistible/4982688/detail.html.

Offline n57flyguy

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 02:13:00 PM »
It was in the recent AOPA pilot magazine but the site is members only. It has happened and the picture they showed was a guy in a jeep pulling it out, the video biff put up. But it does take more balls than brains to do it and no it is not watercooler talk, its liveatc.net talk!

Offline JALTO

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 03:17:53 PM »
WOW!!!

Thanks for the links....people will do ANYTHING!

Offline n57flyguy

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 05:39:19 PM »
Yeah thanks alot! that was very interesting! thanks for sharing.