airtraffic

Author Topic: Mexicana at JFK losing fuel on take off  (Read 18441 times)

Offline kkania

Mexicana at JFK losing fuel on take off
« on: April 11, 2007, 06:25:45 PM »
Just heard it a few seconds ago. Tower noticed white vapour coming off the wing of a rotating Mexicana (MXA3) airplane heading for MMMX. Confirmed by other planes, smell of kerosene. Folowed by ATC being scolded by a pilot for a bad joke("that was a cheap shot") and the controller's childhood story about growing downwind from New Jersey. Some taxiways closed, GRND busy. Airplane continued on route, though someon on freq mentioned it'll stop over in Houston.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 05:45:04 AM by kkania »

Offline seanh00700

Re: Maxicana at JFK loosing fuel on take off
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 07:44:45 PM »
just looking ?? is it on the tower freq ?

Offline kkania

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 07:48:55 PM »
Initially it was on TWR, yes. FlightAware lists the dept time at 06:21PM EDT.  It took around 30-40 minutes for GRND to check the txy ways and sort out the mess.

Offline Himerzi

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 10:27:35 PM »
Here it is. It was like this when  I downloaded, stars at 4:34, Im pretty sure we are missing something before this, but this is what I found in the archive. Anyone know what "mexicana" the guy is referring to at the begining of the clip ?. This is the twr part so maybe someone else can get ground.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 09:13:35 AM by Himerzi »

Offline seanh00700

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 07:09:04 AM »
Ok I'll try and dig up the ground calls now

Offline gustavob

• Panama Flag
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 11:56:05 PM »
Not trying to be the smartest around here but "kkania" check spelling there on the tittle.
"Maxicana Airlines" doesn't exist to my knowledge, and you're one extra "o"'s after JFK... :|

Anyone catch 04:55 mark?? JFK TWR - "Ah, Fuel is Cheaper Down There"  :-D

Offline pblocki

Re: Mexicana at JFK losing fuel on take off
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 06:57:16 PM »
Just a quick question... First I heard the controller say he saw him climb away, and then i heard him clear Mexicana for take off... Is this because the clip is edited? Or am I goin nuts?  :?

Offline Himerzi

Re: Mexicana at JFK losing fuel on take off
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 06:59:54 PM »
Just a quick question... First I heard the controller say he saw him climb away, and then i heard him clear Mexicana for take off... Is this because the clip is edited? Or am I goin nuts?  :?
No ur not, this is the order it was in in the archives, I thought it was strange to. Anyone know what was going on? or is it simply an error with the way the server archived it?

Offline Pearson

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 07:00:22 PM »
Anyone catch 04:55 mark?? JFK TWR - "Ah, Fuel is Cheaper Down There"  :-D

I caught it; he was referring to fuel in Houston, not Mexico City, if that's what you were thinking.

I heard that too. Maybe the original editor made a mistake in the placement of the clips?

When the controller said, 'Mexicana zero zero three, are you copying this conversation on the frequency?', boy that was funny.