Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2014, 02:45:30 AM
Home Help Login Register      
News: LiveATC.net Flyers Released!  Please click here to download & print a copy and be sure to post at an airport near you!

+  LiveATC Discussion Forums
|-+  Air Traffic Monitoring
| |-+  Aviation Audio Clips (Moderators: dave, RonR)
| | |-+  Midair collision SW of KCHD - Chandler, AZ
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Midair collision SW of KCHD - Chandler, AZ  (Read 17731 times)
comperini

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 05:35:13 PM »

! Right of way rules don't cover every scenario.

Exactly.. for example, in this scenario, the descending pilot was probably better off turning left:
NoMad

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 12:12:59 AM »

^^^ That scenario has nothing to do with right of way rules.  It is simple stupidity.  Plane with the camera was there for the purpose of filming the other plane.  Their entire purpose in life was to stare at the other plane.  They were looking right at it when they hit.  Plain old careless and reckless piloting.  
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 12:09:38 PM by NoMad » Logged
ridejumpfly

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 01:17:18 AM »

just like on a motorcycle, you go where you look!
ZippinZim

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 05:43:23 PM »

I am having trouble understanding the wisdom of having what sounds like three aircraft (two helicopters and a Cherokee) vectored to search for the Bonanza.  I kept wondering if the controller was thinking to himself "what have I done?  I'm about to cause a secondary mid-air".  The controller watched the Bonanza descend at an apparently controlled rate.  Why not simply call local emergency crews to the scene rather than vectoring aircraft together whose pilots have probably not been trained to fly search patterns?  Am I being overly cautious?
ridejumpfly

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 09:55:23 PM »

I am having trouble understanding the wisdom of having what sounds like three aircraft (two helicopters and a Cherokee) vectored to search for the Bonanza.  I kept wondering if the controller was thinking to himself "what have I done?  I'm about to cause a secondary mid-air".  The controller watched the Bonanza descend at an apparently controlled rate.  Why not simply call local emergency crews to the scene rather than vectoring aircraft together whose pilots have probably not been trained to fly search patterns?  Am I being overly cautious?

Yes. The aircraft searching were all under his control. The planes that had the mid air were not. The local services were called but having aircraft from above search for the accident aircraft can locate where exactly they are in order to get to the occupants faster. Almost every time there is an event like this multiple pilots volunteer to help.
Z06_Mir

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 01:01:42 PM »

N82044 had a very experienced CFII on board who is actually one of the instruction standardization guys at their company. The pilot of 8115Q had an instrument student as well as the chief CFII on board and both of those aircraft belong to the same company. Imagine hearing you're co-worker was just in a midair. I think that 044's CFII's instrument student was in 15Q on a stage check too. I was actually on takeoff roll but aborted because I couldn't fly knowing that whole incident happened when I knew them. It wasn't a Bonanza that they were looking for either, it was an Arrow. And the reason they were asked to look for it is because that's all desert out there and they needed a location to send emergency crews, notice they lost radar on him at like 1800 feet and ground is 1200 feet or so. It's easy to make judgements when you weren't there.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length