Author Topic: Midair near KFRG: Edited clip  (Read 23818 times)

Offline KSYR-pjr

Midair near KFRG: Edited clip
« on: October 23, 2007, 08:35:57 AM »
For those who have yet to hear the clip and in order to preserve it here (the archive files linked in the other post will eventually disappear with time), I have attached the edited clip of the midair that thankfully resulted in no fatalities near Republic/Farmingdale airport on Long Island, NY.

I started the clip at the C152's check-in, included some of the other busy comms, then concluded the clip soon after both aircraft had landed and ground-based rescue trucks rolled.

Offline Anthony Santanastaso

Re: Midair near KFRG: Edited clip
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 01:47:51 PM »
Peter, thank you for the assistance, but the reason why I did not post the clip as intended in my first post was because of an error message saying that the folder was full. The clip was originally kept in full because of the activity that sustained throughout the duration of the clip. At the time, I did not feel that there was enough silence or material off topic to have to edit. On the original clip, not only do you hear the initial mayday calls from the aircraft, but you also hear local control speaking with Rescue 1-3, a NORDO aircraft towards the end that uses light gun signals to enter the pattern, all the while traffic remaining quite busy throughout.

I was going to edit the clip and post it once the error was fixed in my original post, as my edit in red stated, but I guess I don't have to anymore.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 02:06:07 PM »
Anthony, for clarification let's get something straight here:   I was not trying to steal your thunder by posting this clip.  With all the exchanges in the other thread you may have missed the point that archive clips do not last around here and therefore don't make great links in the Audio Clips forum. 

As you may or may not know, the archives only retain a rolling 30-45 day history (I forgot the exact number of days, but somewhere around there).  After that the specific time and date archive file disappears.    I only took the time to edit and post the clip to allow those individuals who may have stumbled upon this thread after the archive retention expired the ability to hear it, as well as those of us who occasionally go back months later to retrieve an old clip.  I was not aware that you had an edited clip ready to go.

Regarding the error you received while uploading, I didn't realize that it was the same error I had also received until you JUST mentioned it in your post.  When I encountered it yesterday I immediately sent a PM to Dave (site owner/admin) who then corrected the problem. Had you PM'ed Dave when you received the error it most likely would have prevented this exchange, I suppose.

Regarding the content of the clip - Hey, much like art or music interpretation every one has a different take on what to include and what to omit.  Personally, I don't see the relevance of a NORDO aircraft later in the clip as being important to this particular incident, but that's just one man's opinion. 

Tell you what:  If you have your "edited" clip go ahead and post it to this forum and I will REMOVE my post and this thread completely.  Deal?

Offline Biff

• Biff's Hangar
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 02:30:05 PM »
Poor student on what was supposed to be his first solo had to turn around and taxi back to the barn.  :(

Glad no one was hurt.  That's pretty rare for mid-airs. 

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 04:40:05 PM »
Easy does it, Peter. I was sincere with my appreciation. I am WAY to busy at the moment. The last statement was a verbal "Phew" since you did the leg work!! :)

Again, thanks!!!!!

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 05:28:17 PM »
Okay.  But I am serious about my offer to remove this thread in lieu of you posting your already-completed edited clip.   Again, it is worth pointing out that an edited clip is needed in this particular situation since the incident spanned two archive clips. 

As a sidebar, the challenge of wanting to retain all non-relevant communications when creating a clip is the upload size limit of this site and, in my opinion, the listener's attention span.  Will an audio clip entice the same number of listeners when it is 45 minutes long versus one that is, say, eight minutes long?

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 10:46:35 PM »
Keep yours, its greats, thanks!!

Given the damage each aircraft sustained, both pilot's are very lucky to be alive! I know I was very happy to hear they were safe.

Offline Biff

• Biff's Hangar
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 09:20:58 AM »
Whoever sent this clip to AVweb should have at least given credit to LiveATC.net.  Or did you and they just chose not to print that?

Tsk tsk...

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 09:27:11 AM »
They have it and didn't give credit?  Nice.   

FYI, I didn't send it. 

Last year one of our edited clips ended up on the Alexis Park Inn aviation page.  I had asked the site owner/pilot if he would please give credit to LiveATC for the clip.  Despite his "eager" acknowledgment that he would, last I checked he hadn't done it. 

The Internet is one big orgy...

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 09:38:33 AM »
I just sent Avweb a somewhat terse email asking that LiveATC.net get credit for the clip.  I also gave them a heads-up that most of the ATC clips they receive in the future will probably be from LiveATC.net and to consider giving credit to this site.

Edit:  Is there a way to watermark MP3 clips using Audacity?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 09:40:20 AM by KSYR-pjr »

Offline Biff

• Biff's Hangar
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 10:03:31 AM »
Well, the clip in this thread and the clip on AVweb's site are binarily identical except for the filename - meaning they left the ID3 tags as-is.  I usually put the credit info in the tags and hope that anyone who lifts it isn't savvy or scummy enough to clear those out.  I'm not implying that whoever sent this clip in is scummy.  I've had at least one of my clips find its way all over the net without proper attribution - which is a bit of a pet peeve for me.

I also found it interesting that the blurb on AVweb included my comment about the student pilot on first solo.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 10:11:52 AM »
I usually put the credit info in the tags and hope that anyone who lifts it isn't savvy or scummy enough to clear those out.

Good idea, I will start doing that, too.  This should be a tip added to one of the stickies above.

Offline marcoleon

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 11:56:20 AM »
How about credit for the guy who risked life and limb to put a scanner antenna on his roof two weeks ago so that the ground chatter could be heard?? ;)

After this close-to-home incident, I think I need to put a Zaon PCAS MRX on my Christmas list...

Marco

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 12:05:57 PM »
How about credit for the guy who risked life and limb to put a scanner antenna on his roof two weeks ago so that the ground chatter could be heard?? ;)

Haha...

I heard back from the author of the Avweb article containing the MP3 link and he stated that he will be placing credit to LiveATC on their site "real soon now" (my words).    He claimed that the "reader" who sent the clip to him didn't know the source.   Hmmm...

Offline Biff

• Biff's Hangar
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 03:10:10 PM »
Ahh.

Well, to paraphrase a comedian who's name I've forgotten, trying to get an audio clip off the internet is like trying to get pee out of a pool.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 03:23:48 PM »
I spoke with Russ Niles at AvWeb this afternoon who stated the reader who sent the clip to them received it from a friend of a friend and didn't know the exact source.  He said he would be sure to contact us whenever they receive similar clips in the future to confirm LiveATC.net as the source.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 03:44:09 PM »
Ah, sheesh.   :oops:  :oops:  Avweb updated their article to include the credit to LiveATC, but also threw in my name.   Again, I was not looking for personal attention regarding this (my email stated that I did not want credit), but I suppose the update including the shout-out to LiveATC is better than not having a credit at all. 

Hopefully the link to LiveATC.net there will add some traffic to this site.

Offline marcoleon

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 04:05:00 PM »
Oh great Peter, make it look like it came from YOUR scanner! 
 :wink:

It was nice of them to update their site. Besides, being an avid proponent of LiveATC, you deserve some long overdue credit!

Marco

Offline RayZor

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 04:06:43 PM »
man im glad something like that didnt happen to me on my first solo!

Offline digger

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 05:46:16 PM »
Ah, sheesh.       Avweb updated their article to include the credit to LiveATC, but also threw in my name.   Again, I was not looking for personal attention regarding this (my email stated that I did not want credit),

Did I get credit for the assist?  :-D

Probably not.    :x

Offline athaker

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2007, 08:07:57 PM »
Oh great Peter, make it look like it came from YOUR scanner! 

It was nice of them to update their site. Besides, being an avid proponent of LiveATC, you deserve some long overdue credit!

Marco

I think Peter kicks ass...it's his scanner and cable that are in the KLAX feed...current listeners up to 40, beating out kbos and kjfk.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2007, 10:49:18 PM »

Thanks, Marco, but IMO all of the volunteer feeders and of course, the big cheese make this site what it is.

I had a few more email exchanges with one of the Avweb people later today and was surprised to learn that at least a few of them didn't know about LiveATC until the ruckus surrounding this clip brought it to their attention.  How could one of the US's larger aviation sites not know about LiveATC.net?   

AH:  I had the easy part - packaging up a few items laying around the house.  After reading the many trials and tribulations you encountered getting the LAX feed to where it is now, you are the one who kicks ass.  It will be a sad day for many when you move out of that apartment and tear down the LAX feed. 

Offline moto400ex

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2007, 10:12:43 PM »

Offline aviator_06

• FSFlightSchool.com - Student Pilot Resources | Aviation Videos
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2007, 08:58:28 PM »
Love the clip. Glad everyone made it okay. You could barely understand the saratoga pilot, sounded like complete jiberish.