Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2015, 01:37:02 PM
Home Help Login Register      
News: LiveATC.net Flyers Released!  Please click here to download & print a copy and be sure to post at an airport near you!

+  LiveATC Discussion Forums
|-+  Air Traffic Monitoring
| |-+  Aviation Audio Clips (Moderators: dave, RonR)
| | |-+  VE celebration fly over emergency landing at KDCA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: VE celebration fly over emergency landing at KDCA  (Read 721 times)
woohookitty

« on: May 08, 2015, 03:14:25 PM »

On May 8th, there was a flyover celebrating VE Day in Washington DC. Reagan National Airport was closed to all other traffic from 12 pm to 1 pm EST. Just past the middle of the celebration, a Grumman TBF Avenger had to break formation and make an emergency landing. It's being reported as hydraulic issues, but the pilot reported a fire. Below is a story with video showing the plane breaking formation. It closed the runway for a while as the plane had to be pushed off the runway.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/world-war-ii-era-plane-makes-emergency-landing/story?id=30908490

On the airshow itself: http://wtop.com/dc/2015/05/wwii-warbirds-to-rumble-over-national-mall-friday/

This is my first time doing this, so if someone else wants to take a whack at it, I got the file via the KDCA tower feed.

KDCA-Twr-May-08-2015-1630Z.mp3
semperflyer797

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 04:24:18 PM »

dang that sucks for them.  glad they made it back safe and sound.  I wonder how far away from the airport they were when they broke formation.  good job on the clip
srepetsk

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 06:04:43 PM »

From the video above, it looks like he was just crossing the Potomac River at/around Roosevelt or Memorial bridge (not sure, given the angle), so he would only have been a couple miles upstream of DCA at most.  Nearly a perfect landing, if he had been planning on landing there in the first place Wink
Gstrawley

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 07:38:53 PM »

Thanks for the clip.

Now take all that excitement and turmoil, multiply it by 100, and maybe -- just maybe -- you'll have a sense of what the original pilots went through on a typical mission. Think about that this Memorial Day weekend.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 07:45:18 PM by Gstrawley » Logged
blaze

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 09:40:24 PM »

I was on the mall watching the entire fly over, it was incredible.  I wondered what was happening. With the Grumman.The plane was just past Lincoln Memorial when it broke formation, about half way to Washington Memorial if I recall correctly.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length