Author Topic: N194SJ (CJ2) Crash at SMO 9/29/13  (Read 19673 times)

Offline Kevin Meyers

Offline cptkirk

Re: N194SJ (CJ2) Crash at SMO 9/29/13
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 11:09:29 AM »
This is very sad.  Thoughts and prayers with those who have lost a loved one in this accident.

I too pulled the feed and it sounds like the tower controller does not know how serious the accident is immediately and asks if they require further assistance.  In the feed I pulled you can hear a couple of mic clicks (don't know who from and I don't want to speculate) but then you hear what sounds like the tower key again and sounds like starts to say "Cita.." and cuts off.  Attached is that version
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:16:14 AM by cptkirk »

Offline Kevin Meyers

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 12:57:33 PM »
it sounds like the tower controller does not know how serious the accident is immediately and asks if they require further assistance.

Good observation.  I've been up in that tower several times and if I recall correctly, that northwesterly hangar isn't visible from the tower so depending on how quickly he veered off the runway, the tower might have just thought he turned off too quickly at first. 

Offline KiloYankee

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 06:42:10 PM »
Based on the controller's routine inflection in offering, "Citatio 4SJ, do you require further assistance," and the witness, CFI Charlie Thomson, who is repeatedly quoted as saying, “It looked like a fairly benign way for a plane to lose control. It wasn’t skidding down the runway and rolling over; it lost a tire and ran into a hangar,” I can't help but draw the conclusion that the accident itself was fairly unremarkable.

I take a little issue with the John Nevandro's quick statement that this was an "unsurvivable" crash.  From what's been reported, it sounds like the crash itself probably was survivable.  Of course, the ensuing fire was not, and maybe that it is what the fire chief meant, but it just comes across as someone trying to cover his own butt.

The CFI said it was benign, and the controller clearly assumed based on what he witnessed that all were okay.