Author Topic: N1967E Piper Cherokee down in Hudson River NYC 1/27/13  (Read 21751 times)

Offline MikeNYC

N1967E Piper Cherokee down in Hudson River NYC 1/27/13
« on: January 29, 2013, 07:46:09 PM »
A Piper Cherokee crashed into the Hudson River near NYC on 1/27/13. Here's a compilation of the audio, and a YouTube clip of the same with the audio sources identified.

The two in the plane made it out OK.

Offline uplink

• PPL ASEL, SOCAL AREA
    • SOCAL TRACON/VAN NUYS APPROACH
Re: N1967E Piper Cherokee down in Hudson River NYC 1/27/13
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 06:17:06 AM »
Excellent catch Mike!,  having the Hudson River CTAF's covered is so needed for reasons just like this.  Great feed.

Offline MikeNYC

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 09:36:02 AM »
Uplink, thanks for the kind words. After the plane-helicopter collision in 2009, it was important for me that coverage of the rivers exists. It's probably one of the busiest CTAFs in the country, along with the Grand Canyon, and no "official" monitoring for it exists to the best of my knowledge.

It was a bit of a pain in the butt to make the youtube clip with notes and correct daytime timecode, but a good learning experience in Adobe Premiere for me.

Offline NoMad

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 08:01:21 PM »
Whoever signed this pilot off should be smacked.  I don't think I heard a single standard or meaningful transmission, emergency or not.  All her transmissions were useless, disorganized, and not helping anyone or herself.  Including her mayday.  That's wonderful she successfully ditched.  Too bad she can't fly.

Offline MikeNYC

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 11:49:01 AM »
NoMad, her CTAF transmissions prior to the mayday do follow the standard for the Hudson River Exclusion/SFRA. With an engine failure at 1000', there's not a lot of time after you've run through emergency checklists, and she got a mayday out on both the CTAF and 121.5. While she omitted souls on board (or fuel, which is irrelevant), she did give position on both reports. Bit harsh to say she can't fly.

Offline Robert Larson

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 08:24:04 AM »
I would agree. All her CTAF reports sounded good and normal for the VFR corridor. With less than 1000' there's not much time for maydays so what she got out was excellent. Don't forget it's aviate, navigate, communicate. The main job is to fly the plane which she also did expertly, communication is an after thought (if time allows).

Offline skyfox671

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 01:24:40 PM »
An Engine Failure at low level is VERY stressfull I have had 2 of them.  At 1000 or there abouts she didnt have a lot of time
probably about 90 seconds.  Avaiate Navigate Communicate. in that order.  I would hope that a miricale is not responsible for a safe ditching rather training and experience.  Also I imagine in Feb the water Temp would be very low that would been on the mind of the pilot for sure.  A ditching is a situation I would wish no one.  So it is understandable I think that there would be a degree of panic in the voice of any pilot.  Over water low level sectors, in single engine light aircraft can be a bit
nerve racking.  The engine always makes funny noises or something else to heighten ones sences.  I always hate water transits at low level, where options are limited.  Fortunatley in my part of AU low water temps are not too much of an issue.
But if she executed the ditching with no injuries, any thing else is a bonus.  It is fair to say though a well articulated mayday
call with at least a postition if nothing else can hasten ones rescue.
good intercept from an RF point of view.  I would think this intercept would have great value to a training organisation for their student pilots when they are doing engine failures as part of their pilot training.

757-rules

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 03:58:43 PM »
 :-) "I would hope that a miracle is not responsible for a safe ditching rather training and experience."

See this story: http://www2.tbo.com/news/news/2013/feb/22/8/plane-crashes-in-water-off-bayside-bridge-in-clear-ar-640954/

This person also got out, but was alone and the plane flipped over.... That makes me guess a miracle happened on the Hudson..... ( these fixed gear airplanes always flip over on waterlanding if you have no idea how it works)
The story says he got water in his lungs, because he had to kick te window out while being inverted in de water, so no points for him ;-)

More information can be found here: http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=153419
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 09:09:53 AM by 757-rules »